PA Power Amp?

johngerry
Unregistered guest
What are the dis-advantages of using a raw power head like a QSC PLX3002 (900w 4 ohm) to power my stereo speakers (ADS L810)??

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Post Number: 254
You might need an electrician to give the amp its own circuit---like having a major appliance. You will probably need attachments for the XLR cables to hook up to a preamp. You better be very careful about not powering up with your volume control up.

I certainly wouldn't use one unless I had speakers that required huge amounts of power to perform well. This amp is used more by PA systems and movie theatres.

The only benefit I see is you will never worry about amp clipping, but you will worry about other things.

johnpetergerry
Unregistered guest
I can hook it up easily.

Question is how will it sound compared to others?

thanks

john gerry

Silver Member

Post Number: 255
I would be suprised if there is anyone on this forum that has used this amp for driving home speakers. Add to that the incredible improbability of driving your particular speakers with this amp and I imagine you are the only one here that can answer your sonic question.

So I guess you need to borrow an amp or two from a friend or dealer and "see" if it makes a sonic difference to you.

Bronze Member
Username: Heff

Post Number: 78
Remember the opening scene in "Back to the Future", when Michael J. Fox's character, Marty McFly, plugs in his new guitar amplifier and hits his first chord? The air pushed by his wall of speakers blows him through the wall!!! LOL

btw, I concur w/Gman on his sound advice!

johngerry
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your posts. I will have to compare it to the AdCom amp. My guess is the QSC will be better simply cause it has more power - better able to handle those dynamic transients. Main dis-advantage of the QSC: a fan to cool it....

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Post Number: 222
John: my brother has the 4 QSC amplifiers, but they use them for indoor/outdoor concerts. They are even THX certified as they are "movie theater" rated amplifiers. Pretty cool. I wanted them for myself! Other than the balanced (XLR) inputs, I think they'd be great.

Silver Member

Post Number: 259
I can't imagine that ADS L810's either need or would benefit from that kind of amplification the QSC provides. It is like killing a fly with a nuclear warhead rather than a flyswatter. I would think any good 100 to 200 watt amp would be more than enough. The speaker is far more likely to distort and get a driver blown before any 200 watt amp would clip.

That speaker must be a golden oldie--at least 2 decades old. It probably has around a 150 watt limit--maybe 200 watts. I think ADS has been out of business for a few years, although I am sure there are replacement drivers available in case any of the drivers get blown.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us