Do I need a center pre-out?

John C
Unregistered guest
I'm easing my way into a HT and want to use my TV speakers as the center channel. There's a plug on the back of the TV labelled center channel input, but it's just a single black rca-like plug. The TV manual says the speaker output is 20 W normal at 16 Ohms and can handle a max of 40 W. I bought an open box Yamaha HTR 5740 from Best Buy and the only center channel out is the standard speaker wires. Do I need a center pre-out in order to use the TV, or can I use the center speaker outputs with some kind of adapter and possibly an inline limitter (if there is such a thing)?

The Yamaha is going back to Best Buy after I've seen better prices online for the same unit, but new and with a remote (the open box didn't have one and I can't get the speakers setup without it).

Any help understanding what I can do about this apparent mismatch between receiver and TV is greatly appreciated. Receivers with center pre-outs seem to be a bit more expensive so maybe I need to just consider not using the TV at all and buying a center channel...

Thanks for the help!
John

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 485
It would definately be easier with a center pre-out.
you might consider not using a center speaker at all (phantom mode).

There is a gizmo to make a line level output from a speaker output, but i don't know how cheap they are.

Uncle Festers
Unregistered guest
Phantom mode will be better than your TV speaker - provided that the normal fronts speakers are not spaced too widely apart. Otherwise, better to get a center.

John C
Unregistered guest
I have a small room and window and door constraints, so the fronts will have to be spaced to the side about 6 ft from the TV.

So was I right in thinking the center input to the TV (single black rca-like plug) was designed for a pre-out? Would I have to worry about the power output if I used a center pre-out? How does the pre-out compare to speaker outs? Are the hot and cold just combined into one connection with hot inside and cold surrounding?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to understand my options better.

Thanks for the replies!
John

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 492
So was I right in thinking the center input to the TV (single black rca-like plug) was designed for a pre-out?

Yes.

How does the pre-out compare to speaker outs?

They are low voltage (and high impedence), and speaker outputs are high voltage (which you can't stick into your TV input).

John C
Unregistered guest
Thanks Peter and Festers! Looks like I have some decisions to make.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us