Subwoofer suggestion for B&W setup

Anonymous

I have a 5 speaker setup: 2 B&W 603s, 2 B&W 601s and LCR600 with Rotel receiver. Is there any sub that would fit good with this setup? Should I only consider B&W for sub or there are other options?

Anonymous

I was just at a B&W dealer looking at a center channel to go with my B&W towers. He said that B&W makes only so so subs, and two years ago they were saying to him that their products were crap. Velodyne is supposed to be the acknowledged industry favorite. Hsu Research offers great value for money for those that cannot afford Velodyne. How do you like your LCR600?

They did not have one for me to audition, only the LCR60 and the HTM 7 Center, but that was $1K

Username: Sbull

Post Number: 4
I have (2)603's, a CC6 and (2)602's, being driven by Rotel separates. I added an M&K MX-125 MKII sub and found it to be a very pleasant combination, IMO. It's a great sub, very articulate and not muddy. It's there when you need it, not when you don't. Not sure if you can still get it......
At the time I bought my B&W's I auditioned the B&W subs and was not happy with them.
Check out the small Sunfire subs- I've read a lot of good things about them.

Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestions. Anonymous - LCR600 is great. I am glad to select that over LCR60. Steven - On internet I saw the M&K sub you suggested for $899. Do you know the manufacturer web address?

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 308
Anon:

A couple of very good options for a sub:

1. Outlaw LFM-1 (designed by Dr. Hsu)--$579: A 12 inch sub which would be a great match with your 603 mains. Goes very low with a lot of power (375 watt amp), it will get below the frequencies reproduced by your 603s. Recently won an Editor's Choice award from CNET. See it here and check out the multiple pages about this great sub:

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfm1.html

2. Hsu VTF-2--$499 (but on sale right now for $449): this is a 10" sub, in the event you do not have understanding neighbors. Also designed by Dr. Hsu, it is also designed to play very low (25 Hz at -2 db) without getting boomy. Has won many awards for best subwoofer, etc. It has the Hsu variable tuning frequency control which allows you to tune the sub for the best balance between low bass extension or maximum output so that it integrates with your present system. I love this sub. Check it out here:

http://www.hsustore.com/vtf2.html

Bronze Member
Username: Sbull

Post Number: 12
Anon:
Here is the M&K (Miller & Kreisel) link:
http://www.mksound.com/subwoofer.html
I don't know much about the ones Hawk mentioned, but they seem to be getting a lot of praise wherever subs are mentioned. Best of Luck!

Anonymous

Thanks Steven & Hawk.
Hawk, I have read several of your posts and really respect your unbiased suggestions.

I will look into the subs you guys mentioned.

Username: Wigglyman

Post Number: 2
All the subs mentioned above are excellent products but I wouldn't disregard the B&W subs. I have the ASW 675 paired with 602s/LCR600/601s and I'm very happy with it. I haven't seen any reviews that refer to it as a "so so" sub...it's received great praise everywhere it's been written about. I had narrowed my sub search down to the Sunfire super jr. and the 675 (after listening to Velodyne and a half dozen others...I wasn't able to audition a mail-order only HSU).

Username: Xtremeht

Post Number: 5
I have a B&W system consisting of 604 mains 600 center and 602.5 surrounds with 2 ASW650 subs. They sound great but for the money velodyne would probably be a better choice since almost all their R&D is into subwoofers and B&W focuses more on the speaker side. For my personal taste I liked the smoothness of the B&W, the velodyne was a little to punchy and had a uncontrolled sound not suitable for music listening but it's an outstanding HT sub especially the HGSII series. Depends on your personal taste and main use.

Username: Dorkboy

Canada

Post Number: 5
I would also check out Rel acoustics. They are my favorite subs.
www.rel.net

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us