Yamaaha HTR-5890 vs. RX-V2500

Username: Alincal

Post Number: 4
I've been looking at both these receivers for a new home theater I'm putting together. They seem very simular. Does anyone know the advantage of one over the other? Any other suggestions at this price range? Thanks for any help.

Username: Parkerbender

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 1
i'm also looking to get an 5890, does anyone have any experience with this reciever, i like my yamaha i have now, but i'm trying to make the decision between these same two recievers. is it worth the extra $200 for the 2500? on the website, theyre really almost identical in features, and the 5890 has more power, i dunno, someone please help! thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 511
Guys, there are several feature differences. My best advice is to do your homework to learn those differences, and if those differences are worth $200 to you, then you'll have your answer.

IMO, the GUI alone is worth $200, not to mention multiple zones and the many other upgrades. Only you can decide if it's worth it to 'you'.

N8
Unregistered guest
According to a page on the Yamaha site, they are essentially the same minus some cosmetics. The difference in the power rating is not actual but based on a different measuring scheme for audiophiles vs. general consumers. I'll have to confirm that the menuing scheme and multi-zone caps are indeed different.

Silver Member

Post Number: 585
You might consider educating yourself.....

Username: Parkerbender

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 2
on what? i am really interested, how do you know how the power is rated? on the yamaha website, which is the only place on the internet with any information about the system, the features and specs are pretty much identical to the specs of the v2500, they even weigh about the same. i would like to educate myself, and that's what i'm trying to do here, but there's no information about the 5890 on the internet that goes past the little bit that yamaha has. the yamaha site doesn't say "*not really 980 watts, it just looks good" please someone explain something, and not just flame because i'm asking a question. thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 588
The user interface is completely different between those models. The 2500 does a variety of things the 5890 cannot.(multiple zones, more inputs & options,different remote..etc..etc)

Once you familiarize yourself with those differences, you will be able to determine which is best for your personal needs. The HTR series is basically the 'old' line. The specs are very similar, but if you take the time to use these receivers, you'll see they operate very differently, and that the 2500 can do more.

The two most glaringly obvious differences are the graphic user interface(GUI) is 1000% improved on the 2500, and multiple zone capability.

The GUI is something that you'll use on a daily basis and it ROCKS!! I've tried many from various different brands, and the onscreen menu design and format is far superior to anything from any brand that I've ever seen. Not only are they easy to use, but you'll have complete control over every single aspect of your receivers output during use in a way like never before. You can change or alter the output in such intricate ways, that you can taylor make the sound to fit any personal taste.

It wont matter if you prefer your sound bright, warm, cold or sizzling hot because the GUI will alow you to dish it up anyway you want. It will allow you to work magic with your speakers and you will be able to make them sound their very best.

Any other user interface is a distant 2nd........

Username: Sdpaul

Post Number: 3
i would just like to say that i think there is a little confusion about what models compare to what. i know, because i recently went through it myself and bought the HTR-5890!

anyways, the 5890 is comparable to the RC-VX1500, NOT the 2500. the 2500 is a higher level unit than the 5890. the 5890 and the 1500 both retail for $850 while the 2500 retails for $1100.

so the 2500 is a *better* unit but the downfall is that it will probably only be available in a local specialty store and not found on the net like the HTR series.

hope that helps!

Bronze Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 82
One thing I found when researching receivers is Yamaha renames them based on where they are being sold, the HTRs are for the consumer electronics places like Best Buy, etc. The RX-Vs go to the audiophile stores. Unnecessary confusion IMHO, thanks Yamaha.

I saw several models where the only difference seemed to be cosmetics and name; I never got a chance to play with the "equivalent" models, so I'll take Paul's word on the GUI differences.

To me the GUI isn't that big of a deal--I haven't gotten into the menus on my receiver hardly at all since initial setup (...yet...).

Silver Member

Post Number: 600
You never go to your menus??........wow!!

Maybe that's a factor of not having a user friendly user interface??? I never used to log into the internet either, but that was before I had broadband access. It used to be such a pain in the rear to use that I never bothered.........very reasonable assumption, dont you think?

For example, if you've just finished watching "The Godfather" and put in "Star Wars", you'll likely adjust your output quite differently for each movie. The same goes for Tv shows, or any other source if your goal is to maximize your output to it's fullest.

I adjust my settings for nearly every show/movie/event to maximize the desired effect. If you're not making adjustments, you couldnt possibly be getting the most out of your system. Even from movie to movie........there are differences in the recordings and tweaking the settings can make all the difference.

It just goes to show how something as simple as a 'user friendly' interface can make all the difference in the world, because if it is...........you'll be liable to use it.......and quite regularly to maximize results.

If you're not.........you'll be settling for 'good enough'. I dont know about you, but I want my sound at its best.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
I guess I don't feel like tweaking on the system that much. To each his own.

At the point my own system is at, it's pointless anyway--more than half the speaker system sucks & is waiting on funds for replacement.

I'll shut up now & not take the thread further OT...

Anonymous

Personally I do not think the normal consumer would take the time to reset their receiver for specific audio output or truly be able to hear the difference. I just want to be sure we can hear Nemo in 2 zones. Chris most people are in your world. Yamaha just posted new information and the manual to their website - I will make my decision based on comparing the 1500 and the 5890 manuals. http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/manuals/PDFs/HTR-5890.pdf

Silver Member

Post Number: 676
When I talk about ajusting settings from show to show, Im mostly talking about adjusting channel levels. I do make other changes sometimes, but Im not talking about starting from scratch. I already have my receiver calibrated, so there is no need to get into any heavy changes.

No two recordings are exactly alike. You may have a perfect blend for one movie, and when you change channels or DVDs, you'll notice the balance is different. Where it's most obvious is accross the front as it relates to balance between your center and fronts. Usually the 'fix' is as simple as turning the center up/down until you reach the correct blend with the fronts. The same goes with the backs/surround. I do this 'by ear' only, and the few seconds it takes makes a difference if you have a critical ear. It would drive me nuts watching a movie with the channel levels not set properly.

As for 2 zones.........im not sure if either the 1500 or 5890 are 2 zone receivers. You can always play the same program in 2 rooms though, because all you have to do is activate both speakers A & B. The difference comes in when you want to watch a movie in zone1, and play a different source in zone two. Only a 2zone receiver can do the latter.

Good luck!!

The movie of the night??(last night)
The Exorcist...the beginning!
Whoah...love that flick, and it was the 2nd time I've seen it.

Anonymous

What Paul describes may not be what even 1% of the population does, but it makes a lot of sense. I have never seen the Yammie GUI, but the analogy Paul made about not using the internet efficiently until getting broadband makes sense. I for one would make the exact type of adjustments Paul is talking about ... if I had the appropriate way of doing it.

All in all, it seems from Paul's description that the GUI is as important an element in this receiver as some knobs are in other receivers. It sounds like a valuable tool that Yamaha is not exploiting enough.

Man, I've read many of Paul's posts and I never thought I could agree with him

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
Ah, well I do get into that on occasion (adjusting center level vs mains). I attributed it to my junk speakers (and now temporarily mismatched set) more than the individual movie. While my Marantz menus aren't pretty, they are simple & effective.

Username: Dslo

BALDWIN, NY

Post Number: 3
Hi. I posted this question on another thread, but you guys seem to know about the Yamaha receivers HTR-5890 vs. RX-V1500. Any good advice? Price is the same for both. RX is supposed to be better quality. Also, were both models manufactured around the same date/year. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 802
Darren,
Take a close look at the specs. I believe the 1500 is an improved model. I think it has a newer remote, and a few other things too. I dont memorize all of that stuff so you might want to check it out. They may both still being made, but I think the 1500 is a newer model.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 468
I almost never re-adjust channel levels according to sources. They are balenced once and for all.

Before I had a proper center speaker, I ran the center pre-pout to the TV speakers. Then I'd switch off the center channel when listening for concert DVDs and back on again for TV and movies. Now that I have a proper center speaker, I no longer switch it off and have very little need to tweak anything.

RCB
Unregistered guest
There is a pretty detailed description of the HTR-5890 on the Best Buy website. It is the replacement for the HTR-5790 and is a new model. It lists for about $800 and can be bought on the internet for about $550 shipping and insurance included. Since the HTR-5890 can be bought for $550 while many audio salons want the full $800 for the equivalent RX-V1500, the question is why pay more. With the Best Buy information you can see what features you are getting better than the information on other Yamaha models in the RX series. So going back to the original thread, the GUI interface and other feature differences on the $1100 RCVX-2500 really costs about $550 more or twice the price of the $550 HTR-5890. If you don't have money to burn, you have to look pretty hard to justify twice the price for a GUI interface so you can more easily tweek a few sound settings. The HTR is the lowest cost Yamaha receiver with YAPO, Component video upconversion and THX features.

Bronze Member
Username: Sause

Post Number: 46
The HTR seris and the RX-V seris have the same amps, same features, and same DSP's, the only difference is in the way they rate them. The HTR's rate at 1K, the VR-X rate them at 20-20K, oh yeah the face plates are different. The HTR-5890 is basicly the same as VR-X 1500, they both have GUI's they both do two zones at the speaker level, three at the line out level. Both have the Pure Direct, both are THX certified, both up-convert to component video. The VR-X 1500 and 2500 just don't get changed at the same time as the HTR series and the lower VR-X series models.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us