H/K AVR 430 question

Bronze Member
Username: Svendehot

Kalamazoo, MI USA

Post Number: 15
Hello,

I have a near obvious question about my AVR. When I go to check the OS, it says that I have an AVR 630 v5.02. Does that indeed mean that I have the 630 OS on my 430? I got it through Harman Direct off of eBay. So it could be a 630 with an AVR 430 face plate right or what I have no idea tell me what you guys think.

Bronze Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 11
no, harman released an update for the 430/630 models that updated prologic II to prologic IIx, they only released one version of the update for both receivers, and they called it 630 v5.02.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 468
Any other upgrades in the new firmware? I have the 430, but never use Pro Logic

Bronze Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 17
contact Harman 1-516-682-6438, they can send you any new firmware updates for the 430 that you need

Unregistered guest
I have questions regarding the AVR 430 receiver. My receiver doesnt produce sound below -50db. I dont hear anything on my speakers. Is there something wrong in the receiver or speakers. I am using a cheapy KLH speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 314
um, i dont think it means your reciever is broken. it just means that the reciever isnt giving the speakers enough juice to produce sound. if you have really ineffecient speakers than it takes alot more power to produce the same SPL, hence a higher volume level for the same amp/reciever. the more likely problem you will run into is turning the volume too high. you may either clip the signal or feed the speakers more power than they were designed for. just turn the volume up and enjoy them.

Unregistered guest
Thanks for the input. One more question. what is the volume control range ? 0db to something negative db or positive db to negative db.
something like this.

1) odb to -75db
or
2) +75db to -75db

Bronze Member
Username: Dary

Sao Paulo Brazil

Post Number: 62
-75 db(min) to O db (max)

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 380
0db is a "reference" to half power (on Harman Kardon AVR receivers). That's about 35-45W on my AVR-525.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 448
geekboy, so 0dB is actually -3dB? Is this documented somewhere? I had assumed that 0dB meant full output power (on full input voltage, presumaly 2V).

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 381
Peter, I forgot where I read or seen this. H/K states that 0dB is where the power is "guaranteed" to be clean (0dB with all settings bass and treble set to flat and no digital processing engaged). At 0dB the H/K AVR line outputs 1/2 of rated power. So, on my AVR-525... a setting of 0dB would be approximately 35-45W of power (per channel).

H/K warns of increasing over 0dB as each 3dB is double the power. While the receiver will handle +3dB (relative power) probably quite well, the ability to deliver continuous power above +3dB accross all frequencies dminishes greatly. This is where the THD goes to pieces (> 1.0% THD).

I really wish I could point you to an exact article or document. I think that I, and several others, had sent e-mails into Harman Kardon support earlier last year asking questions in this area.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 452
It would be an interesting factoid if you can find it again.

I just finished listenning to music at -35 dB on the dial anyway, so 0dB is not something I see very often. Loud movies are at -25 dB or so (reference is at -17 dB). I get up to -10 to -7 dB playing The Eagles Hell Freezes Over, but not when the kids are sleeping!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us