Best Receiver for Quad 21L

Umboppa
Unregistered guest
I am upgrading my HT system. I have Quad 21L front speakers. Of the following candidates, which receiver pairs best with the Quads:

Arcam AVR250
NAD T763
Denon 3805
Pioneer Elite VSX56TXi

Comments, testimonials, reviews, recommendations appreciated.

Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Xsound

Myrtle Beach, SC United States

Post Number: 61
I can't comment on what will work best with the Quad as regrettably I have never heard them. I understand they are excellent speakers. In fact I heard they are so good that when Paul put his face 6 inches from the cone and felt that British sound washing over him, he repented of being a Euro-basher and promptly went out and purchased stock in Arcam. Just kidding Paul!

I can give you reasons why I really like my elite vsx-54, and why I wanted the 56 over the 3805, but not sure that really answers your question.

Umboppa
Unregistered guest
I would be interested in why you picked the Pioneer over the Denon, Xsound. Any info is good info if it helps me decide. Did you also compare with the Arcam and NAD?
Concerning Paul, I do believe he is getting a bit soft in his old age. His recent comments in the Receiver forum have been far less strident. Hell, he's been positively NICE. Paul?

Bronze Member
Username: Xsound

Myrtle Beach, SC United States

Post Number: 62
After much research and looking around I narrowed my short list down to those 3 receivers, AVR3805, Yamaha RX-V 2500, and the Elite VSX-54tx. I went with the 54 for a couple of reasons. I am using Monitor Audio speakers which have a tendency to be (choose one) bright, detailed, cool,etc. I wanted something to "warm" up the sound. The elite line uses mosfets which have a more warm sound. The pioneer has a larger power supply and bigger capacitors, for home theater in my room with my speakers this was a big plus. My older MA speakers can present some funky loads, so the supply, capacitors and the mosfets seem to have a more powerful presentation.

When I did side by side comparisons, I went to a tweeter store and spent a few hours going back and forth between the 2500, the 54, and the Denon 3805. My listening impressions in regards to the sound left me feeling that I could be happy with any of the 3. I felt like I could hear a difference in the way the 3 presented the soundstage. The Denon soundstage seemed to start at the speaker line and come out into the room. The Yamaha seemed to be anchored on the plane of the speakers, though it extended to the left and right of the speakers. The Pioneer seemed to start at the speaker line and present the soudnstage as depth behind the speakers. Many people characterize the Yamaha sound as being bright. I found that it was probably the most neutral of the 3. The Denon seemed to me to be more bright and presented a very detailed soundstage, and the Pioneer seemed to be more warm, equally detailed, just a little more laid back.

The 54 is THX certified, Denon is not, though it could certainly pass the requriements if Denon submitted for the test. Most people will tell you that THX should not be a make or break deal on a receiver, and I agree; however all else being equal, I would take the THX over non. Both units offer good technology in movie processing. While I really felt that I could be happy with either of these units, I went with the 54 for some of the reasons mentioned, (warm sound character, mosfet amp, beefy power supply and caps) plus the fact that the 54 was designed to be able to bi-amp using the rear channels, the procedure is possible on the 3805, though Denon does not recommend it. I am bi-amping my MA 700 golds, it's pretty cool. It is a simple procedure and is covered in the manual.

I had actually eliminated the 3805 before the Yamaha, because of the remote. My "great room" whatever that is, has a great deal of light during the day. I read several reports about the Denon remote being difficult to read in bright light. After I started playing with it, I found the Pioneer's much easier to use. Would I like backlighting, heck yeah. 56 has it 54 doesn't. Denon remote is cool, not functional for me.

I have had the unit since january, and continue to love it. I have listened to more music since January than I have in the last couple of years. It is an incredibly smooth sounding piece, and the power is almost deceptive. It is so clean that I am often unaware of how loud I listening until the phone rings or someone tries to talk to me. I have yet to hear any sign of strain on the part of the amp, and I push it pretty hard.

Anonymous

IME, Rotel and Quad are a good match.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 579
UM,
I'd recommend that you do your own homework on each model and narrow the list down further.

At this point, it doesnt seem that you know much about any of them other than they're in a similar price range.

If you dont know exactly what you want or need in a receiver, or know what each model offers, you should be doing your homework on your own at this stage.

Umboppa
Unregistered guest
Just the type of informative response I was looking for, X-Sound. Thanks.

You're right, Paul, the homework needs to be done and, if I may be so bold, done properly. To that end, I am in the process of auditioning all the shortlisted receivers with my Quad speakers, i.e. actually taking my speakers to the respective dealer(s). The current prognosis favours the Arcam. I have yet to test the Pioneer. The Rotel 1056 has also snuck into the equation. Notwithstanding the fact that I may incur your inestimable wrath should I choose, god forbid, the Artcam or Rotel, I will attempt to post my objective assessments at some later date. Until then.....Cheers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 620
Heh.....

For each receiver, there is a 'perfect' match/person out there looking to buy. You just need to see where you fall in the big equation.

Silver Member

Post Number: 621
Heh.....

For each receiver, there is a 'perfect' match/person out there looking to buy. You just need to see where you fall into the big equation.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us