Front Speakers

Username: Dravinnn

Las vegas, Nv Usa

Post Number: 1
Hello
I currently have the bose acoustimss 7 for the front surround and the bose 5 series II for the rear surround. My Receiver is a Sony Model STR-DB930.

My front bose subwoofer has blown. So now I am in the market for new front speakers, including center chanel. I have been interested in the Floor standing speakers, price range $2000-$3000.

I have been looking at forums and testing speakers at Best Buy, Circuit City, Good Guys, and Ultimate Electronics. So far I have not been impressed with the bass in the floor standing speakers. I live in Las Vegas, NV.

Any ideas in what speakers I should get? Front and Center chanel. I will be using them mostly for TV and movies.

Thanks in advance!

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 280
why dont you try going to some real hifi stores instead of big box stores. you will get much better selection and service. you may want to get rid of the other bose system while you are at it. with that budget just for fronts and center you will quickly see how much bose speakers suck. heck you could even get rid of the whole thing and get a pretty nice 7.1 system for a 2-3k budget. try pardigm, B&W, KEF, Mission, Klipsch, PSB, Monitor Audio, Ascend Acoustics for speakers. Try Pioneer, Marantz, NAD, Harman Kardon for recievers. these are just a few companies out of the many that you can look at. happy hunting

Las vegas, Nv Usa

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the reply. We don't really have any hifi stores in Vegas that I know of. I think the closet dealer for pardigm is Arizona.
I guess what I am asking is what would be a good floor standing speaker with Bass. None I heard today, including Klipsch blew me away. One fact tough, all of the stores set ups were horrible. One Klipsch speaker had the woofer pushed in.

Silver Member

Post Number: 281
if you want bass than i think Cerwin Vega would suit you better. There is a guy named Paul on this board who swears by them and would probably give you a better description of the CVs than i can. thats a shame there arent any dealers near you.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 216
Kevin,

Christopher is right, those big box stores have crappy selection and inflated markups, not to mention clueless salespeople for the most part.

Unless you're willing to spend upwards of $1500-2000 you will have a hard time finding full-range towers that give you decent bass without mucking up the mids and highs. Sure you can try the Cerwin Vegas if you don't care about good mids and highs though.

However you can get much better sound quality across the entire frequency range if you buy a good subwoofer ($400-700 Hsu or SVS) and pair it with some good bookshelves ($300-400) or mini-towers ($500-700).

BTW I hope you are aware that what you had with your Bose system was NOT a real subwoofer, any more than a BB gun is a real hunting rifle---so please don't write off subwoofers based on that pathetic joke of a "bass module" that Bose makes.

Since you're mostly doing TV and movies, make sure you get a nice big center channel---that'll really open up the dialogue which is about 70-80% of TV/movies.

My personal recommendation would be Ascend 340s across the front with a Hsu VTF-2 sub, $1371 shipped. Or $1145 if you go with the smaller 170s for the L/R and keep the 340 center. They are an Internet-only company so they give you a nice 30 day refund policy, you'd just be out of $50 or so for return shipping in the unlikely case that you don't like them. You can go to ascendacoustics.com and check out their users' forum, you may be able to locate an Ascend owner in your city who'd be happy to let you come by and listen---that's what sealed the deal for me.

There's also another Internet only speaker companie called Aperion which gives you free return shipping if you don't like their speakers---I haven't heard their speakers myself though.

PS. If you ever get around to upgrading your Sony receiver (Sony makes good TVs but sucks for audio) you'll also see a huge improvement.

Las vegas, Nv Usa

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the info, I will check out the Ascend website. I am willing to pay $2000-$3000 for the front speakers. Anything better than the Ascend 340s?

Silver Member

Post Number: 217
Kevin,

If you are willing to spend that kind of money on your front speakers you'd be far better served IMHO by ditching the Sony receiver, maybe even look into separates, because that Sony will never do $2-3K speakers any justice.

It'd be like putting $1000 racing tires on a Daewoo 4-banger.

Bronze Member
Username: Javmo200

Michigan

Post Number: 35
We have a winner Mr Edster is right on the money..when it comes to sound Kevin, your power supply is by far one of the most important aspect of the game. None of the stores you went to has good quality speakers--you would not be able to get the high end Klipsch (For example) at those stores just the low end design for newbies etc.

I would look at Rotel, NAD, Denon among others for power supply and for speakers here we go..If you are looking for a speaker with good Bass without Sub..good look with that price range specially when you are looking at Home theater set up. Speakers with good bass (Floor Speakers) are going to cost you way over 2-3K. My advice is to get a good Subb and pair them with a good speakers
and good center channel you are going to be fine. I would certainly make a trip to a Hi-fi or Home theater store and apreciate the sound. I also agree to get rid of your bose surround speakers..

Silver Member

Post Number: 218
Kevin,

Surely Las Vegas is not such a small town that you're stuck with only big box stores---where do all the mobsters and high rollers buy their gear, LOL?

I did a quick search in the LV online yellow pages and got 35 entries:

http://www.smartpages.com/directory/search.jhtml?PostSt=NV&Tag=Entertainment&Dir ectoryVerified=LVGS+NVST+REMZ+SBC_PBD+NATL_PBD+LVGS&dn=Las+Vegas-Southern+Nevada &CityVerified=Las+Vegas&StateVerified=NV&DirectoryStateVerified=NV&AreaCodeVerif ied=&ZipVerified=&HeadingCodeVerified=8015862&HeadingDesc=Stereo-Dealers+%26+Ser vice&LocType=11&QueryString=stereo&AddressChoice=&Radius=2&QueryType=1&DirAvail= false&From=&ClearLevel=HeadingValidation&TotalRows=0&listingid=&CityPostalFlag=D VC

Las vegas, Nv Usa

Post Number: 4
Thanks,
I did find a high end store.
I found some speakers I liked, but wanted this forums advice about them before I buy.
For the front speakers - B&W DM604 S3 $1400
For center speaker - B&W LCR600 S3 $500
Subwoofer - Velodyne DLS 3750R $500

This falls within my $2500 range and the store will also give me an additional 10% off.

They sounded very sharp and clear with music. Will this be a good set up for watching DVD movies as well? Also are these good speakers?

Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Javmo200

Michigan

Post Number: 37
http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_130198_2743crx.aspx
http://www.audiorevolution.com/equip/B&W604/

Kevin The above links have some review for the speakers you are looking for. Notice on one of the review on regard to the center channel it talk about that is as good as your amp/receiver is..you are in the right track good luck..remember you can always upgrade anytime...

Las vegas, Nv Usa

Post Number: 5
Thanks for the input and reviews.
I understand that I will need to replace my sony receiver in the future. For now, speakers are my primary concern. I do not want to cheapen my speaker selection, because I need the money for a new receiver. I am hoping that my current receiver will run these speakers, and within a year I can add a new receiver. What is a good receiver for this set up? I am thinking of no more than $1000.
Aslo, for $2500 is this a good speaker set up for the fronts?
Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 177
with $1000 I am thinking that if you bought NAD online that should be within your price range, and should sound stunning with those speakers.

The NAD T763 puts out 100 full bandwidth watts into 6 channels, and can easily drive low impedence speakers (4 to 6 ohms) with ease. The price is $1400, but there is always some sort of a break from this website, and if you in fact can get away with the 70 watt reciever (again, full up, like a power amp) they will let you know.

NAD T753 $999 70 watts into 6 channels
NAD T763 $1400 100 watts into 6 channels

IMHO, these should have no trouble driving the aforementioned speakers at all, and will sound good doing it.

the website I speak of is www.saturdayaudio.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 178
"I think what my esteemed colleague meant to say, and what I discovered during the review process is that NAD has made a strong case for not using separates with both the T773 and T763 surround receivers. They are both really that good."

This is an exerpt from a review on the NAD T763 on enjoythemusic

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 615
Kevin, the B&W models you listed seem like a nice setup. Las Vegas is large enough that you should be able to find most anything locally.

Whatever you do, be sure to listen to them first!! Peolpe on this forum are well intentioned enough, but there is no way they can have a clue about what sounds good to 'you'.

Since you're looking for big sound, stay away from anything bookshelf or labeled 'mini', because that's what you'll get with those...mini-sound. If I were shopping speakers today, I would do two things.....
First I would seek out the Classic CLSC-215 Dual 15" 3-Way Tower and listen to them which sell for just under $1,000/pair.
http://www.cerwinvega.com/products/homeaudiovideo/index.html
Dont mind those who try to critique them because their talking out of their 'backside' because they've most likely never never listened to them. Most of those who knock the CVs are only insecure about their ownership of small bookshelf speakers.

Then I would search other large towers in the under $3,000 pricerange and find whatever I could. If the improved sound was noticable enough, I wouldnt hesitate to buy whatever sounded best. If there wasnt much of a perceived improvement, I'd go cheap and by the <$1,000 Vegas. I did some speaker shopping last fall because my current Cerwin Vegas needed reconing, and I thought it would be a good idea to buy something new. I looked in the $2,000/pair range and didnt like anything I heard and everything sounded 'small, weak, & flat' to my ears. In the end, I bought nothing, and had my old speakers reconed instead of buying new because I was not impressed by anything. Im not saying you'll like the CVs, but rather you need to test the waters and listen to a variety of things in person and buy what best fits your personal taste. My system use is strictly as a home movie theater, so what I need from or for my setup might be drastically different from your own personal listening habits.

As for recievers, I would look no further than either of the Pioneer Elite 56txi, Denon 3805, or Yamaha 2500 because I believe the rest in that price range are lagging behind.

Silver Member

Post Number: 230
Kevin,

Please note that Paul by his own admission never ventured beyond the big-box stores with their crappy selection of overinflated entry-level mass-market goods, and his main method of auditioning speakers (again, I am quoting verbatim) is to stick his head about six inches from the drivers while cranking them full blast.

His receiver advice isn't bad though; have heard lots of good things about that Elite 56 and Denon 3805. I'd add in the Marantz 7500 or 8500 too depending on your budget.

Silver Member

Post Number: 622
Yes,

Edster and I agree on most things, except for the use of small pint-sized 'lightweights' as a foundation for a home movie theater surround system....LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 622
Yes,

Edster and I agree on most things, except for the use of small pint-sized 'lightweights' as a foundation for a home movie theater....LOL

Las vegas, Nv Usa

Post Number: 6
I called all around yesterday and could not find anyone in Vegas that carried Cerwin Vegas. Including the dealers in Vegas listed on the Cerwin Vega site. I also emailed CV and called them, no reply yet.

I did like the sound of the B&Ws. With the sub woofer, it should give me enough bass. Wish I could hear those Cerwin Vegas though.
For now, I think I will go with -
For the front speakers - B&W DM604 S3 $1400
For center speaker - B&W LCR600 S3 $500
Subwoofer - Velodyne DLS 3750R $500
Hopefully my Sony Receiver STR-DB930 will handle them for now.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 418
Any Klipsch Reference dealers around you?
The RF-7 is, I think, in your price range:

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=362

In that price range, I'd be buying used Klipschorns if I had the room for them, with good corners on a long wall. Perhaps someone in your area has some and could let you have a listen... Posting to the Klipsch forum could find that out.

Las vegas, Nv Usa

Post Number: 7
I heard the Klipsch RF-7, wasn't impressed with them.

Anonymous

the reason why no one in vegas carries CV is because they are such a poor quality speaker. The only place by me that caries them is Rex audio video, and they are right next to the sony and techniques.

For them, they are top of the line.

I take that back, Sears used to carry them well. 'nuff said

Unregistered guest
I have a question, I currently own a set of 6.1 Kenwood Satillites ES-3100 speakers for my Home Thearter I operate them on a Denon 485-S Reciever and A toshiba dvd changer. I belive the sound is good for movies however. I want to change the front speakers to a more powerfull bookshelf speaker. I was thinking the mission M70S. Would this change in set up drown the sound of the rears when watching movies?

Unregistered guest
I have a question, I currently own a set of 6.1 Kenwood Satillites ES-3100 speakers for my Home Thearter I operate them on a Denon 485-S Reciever and A toshiba dvd changer. I belive the sound is good for movies however. I want to change the front speakers to a more powerfull bookshelf speaker. I was thinking the mission M70S. Would this change in set up drown the sound of the rears when watching movies?

Silver Member

Post Number: 233
Kevin,

If you were not impressed with Klipsch then you are unlikely to be impressed with Cerwin Vegas. They both operate on the same concept (loud, loud, loud) but the Klipsch does it with much more detail, fullness and finesse...that's why they cost a lot more.

> Edster and I agree on most things, except for the use of small pint-sized 'lightweights' as a foundation for a home movie theater....LOL

And conversely, the use of hulking pieces of blaring mediocrity (read: frat-house "party speakers") as a foundation for ANY sound system. : )

Silver Member

Post Number: 626
I listened to the RF-7s at Ultimate Electronics, and was not impressed. For my taste, the horns were too overbearing and 'screamy', and the lows didnt go nearly low enough. If you like 'all horn' and no deep end, they'll be perfect.

I'd never buy anything less than 3-ways for fronts. The B&Ws Kevin listed(at least on the surface)look like a very nice choice.

Anonymous

sounds like paul himself lives in a frat house... or at least doesnt have any hearing left.

it is common knowledge in the audiophile circles that a 2 way done properly will always outdo a cheap 3 way

Las vegas, Nv Usa

Post Number: 8
I went ahead and ordered the B&W's. I will let you know what I think, after I receive them and hook them up. Thank you all for your help!

Silver Member

Post Number: 635
Sweet!! Im sure you'll love them Kevin.

heck...what am I saying??.......you already know what the sound like:-)

They looked like a good choice.

Silver Member

Post Number: 179
B&W are an awesome, all around great speaker. They are one of the few speakers that have no real glaring flaws except for the real low end models, but isnt that the case with any manufacturer?

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 316
Concrats Kevin, I really like the sound of B&W speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 300
congrats kevin. B&W are the envy of all audio enthusiasts as you may have come to find out. I am sure you won't be disappointed with the 6 series along the front. just dont let the itch in you head make you get new surrounds and a reciever, you may go broke!! hope you enjoy

Las vegas, Nv Usa

Post Number: 9
Thank you all!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 183
lol... I have found that more along the likes of Martin Logan and Wilson Audio are the envy of all Audio Enthusiasts

Silver Member

Post Number: 316
yes probably you are right gavin. for me anything remotely close to B&W or better would more than satisfy me. I know my dad would drool over some electrostats like MLs.

bumblebee
Unregistered guest
guys, between a b&w 602s3 and ma silver s1, w/c would you prefer and why?

to be paired w/ a nad c320bee.

thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 329
Monitor Audio Silver s1. I like both of these speakers but I feel that the Monitor Audio has a little more coherent sound. I think that the bass on the 600 series B&W's is a bit bloated. Overall I like both speakers but I feel that the MA's have a slight edge. I would truly have to hear them next to each other to be sure.

Bronze Member
Username: Mauimusicman

Post Number: 29
I am an authority on this matter since I own GMA Europas and I would have to agree with Arthur that the Monitor Audios are the best. The reason why I prefer them is because I think they sound better.

Las vegas, Nv Usa

Post Number: 10
Anyone recommend bi wiring the B&W 604 S3 speakers?

bumblebee
Unregistered guest
if the extra cables won't cost a fortune, why not? at the very least, you get to replace those gold plated jumpers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us