Hearing more and more bad reviews on Diamond 9.1s

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 113
I've been 'in love' with the wharfedale diamond 9.1s for a few months and I came to the conclusion from magazines and people on here that they are decent speakers. Searching about, i find more and more reviews saying the diamonds are dull, lifeless and boring, almost like they are in another room?!?
For £180 if this is true, then stuff that. The midrange is supposed to be good, midrange is the most important thing to me along with good soundstage and overall quality at low volumes.
I am seriously thinking of choosing some different 'wish list' speakers, either Aegis Evolution 1s, Tannoy fusion 2 or Mission M31i.
What would people say whos heard at least 2 of these speakers?
Two months from now I will have a new hi-fi setup and I want to make sure that i dont spend another £40-£60 pointlessly.
Any decent usable worthwile advice?
I think I'll end up going to a demo somewhere...

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 269
how about instead of over analyzing this for the 3 months that you have why dont you buy the damn speakers. no speaker is perfect no speaker maker all knowing. i bought my B&W 601s based off of brand recognition and small size. i found out later that the first series has muddy bass problems. i still have them and enjoy them very much. stop obsessing over this. this is supposed to be a hobby and foremost you are supposed to be enjoying the music/movies you play through your system.

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
Lee u know i actually agree with you here, Im a bit pissed off with myself for becoming overly obsessed, when ive got all the money, Ill just god dam bl**dy buy some...

bumblebee
Unregistered guest
if you're used to bright sounds, the diamonds are definitely dull.

my diamonds are 3 months old. i play them 4 hours a day. the highs are high and they can go quite low. smooth overall and never fatiguing.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 197
Jelvis,

You say that midrange is the most important thing to you, which made my ears go up---that's exactly where my priorities lie, and why I went with Ascend speakers. Now THOSE speakers' paper trail of glowing reviews is absolutely massive, diverse and more or less unanimous---would probably dwarf what you read about the Diamonds easily.

However I don't know if Ascend ships to the UK and how much they'd charge you for it, but if you get a chance you might want to look into their CBM-170s, they're $328 US.

Two disadvantages: aesthetically they are not too attractive, and they only go down to 70 Hz so you'll need a sub. But the mids you'll get from these little marvels is just drop-dead gorgeous!

They're also a really good company to deal with, the customer service is outstanding.

Bronze Member
Username: Mauimusicman

Post Number: 17
Well you see, you are finding negative reviews of the Diamonds because they suck. Try stepping up to a real speaker like the GMA Europas.

On a serious note, every speaker gets negative reviews at some point in its life. Live with it and let your ears choose what you wish to buy. If your ears choose Wharfedale speakers, reviews be damned.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 587
The only thing worse than 'weak-botique' speakers like the Europas, would be 'cheap-botique' like the Diamonds.

Silver Member

Post Number: 272
here we go again

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
lol! well i think i get the point...most people dislike the diamonds but at the end of the day i think everything comes down to your personal taste. I will be going to a demo somewhere and listen for myself, choose whats right for me then post back here when I have some real 'news' to share. Maybe the diamonds are good, maybe they're not. Suppose hearing is believing and you can't rely off other people entirely for choosing your speakers. Thanks all anyway.

Anonymous

I just bought myself a pair of bose and they sound better than GMA's!!! When is maui gonna get his head out of his a*shole and figure out that we all know that he works for them!!!

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 286
Maui's been gone for awhile guys. Check this guy's writing style, it ain't Maui. For one thing Maui did not have a sense of humor about his GMA's.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Maui couldnt spell or type worth a damn either.

Silver Member

Post Number: 201
LOL, well you had me going for a while there!

Thanks Arthur for the heads up.

And you too, Mr. PseudoMaui. How paradoxical: an honest imposter! : )

Silver Member

Post Number: 273
haha. edster you didnt realize until now that it might have been an imposter? i think the last time the real maui posted was when the fake one registered. a thread was basically hijacked by maui's ranting on the GMAs and a phony, not sure if it was this one, was writing under his name and someone eventually registered under his name. thats what i remember of it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 203
nope, guess I kind of tuned out of that original thread when Maui first started ranting about the GMAs and all this "phase timing" techno-babble started. Silly me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
You mean you dont care about time-domain physics and how GMA speakers use first order crossovers, pure silver wiring, cabinets made out of "cast marble", warp engines just like in Star Trek, and time aligned drivers so the sound is "perfect" no matter where you are???? How could you not be enthralled by this mystical process?!?!?!?

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
What's with GMA? They sound fascinating, ive looked for a GMA speakers website and I can't find anything. Tell me is there a site, what's so good about them...are they like on everyones wish list costing thousands of pounds or something?

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 290
Not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 204
pseudo-maui,

no, I'm a philistine!

Silver Member

Post Number: 276
jelvis, look up green mountain audio and you may find the website. it is done rather poorly so it may be hard to navigate. the general gist of the speakers is that they have first order crossovers. in a nutshell, since i myself am not quite sure what the big deal is, the first order crossover allows the speakers to play music in time aligned phase meaning like real sound. the real maui has always been quite fanatical about the europas. the cast marble is supposed to bsically eliminate box resonance. they look rather ugly though atleast from the pictures on the website. the big downside to the speakers is they cost $1000 USD and probably cost half that to ship since they weigh 40 lbs each. i would rather get planar speakers for the price of the GMAs or really nice B&W or KEF floorstanders.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us