Crossover

ryan7777777
Unregistered guest
If my reciever has a fixed crossover at 90 hz, is the crossover on my sub useless? I have large fronts capable down to about 47 hz. My sub crossover goes from 50hz-150hz. Im not sure if my LFE is bypassing my mains or not. Should i just set my sub at 90 hz?? Someone please help! im a newbie.

Bronze Member
Username: Disco_stan

Minnesota

Post Number: 94
Just mess around with the crossover on your sub till it sounds best. I have the same issue and on my sub I have the crossover set at about 80 or 90 hz and it sounds fine there.

ryan7777777
Unregistered guest
Yea thats what I have it at now. I read on crutchfields website that since my reciver has a fixed x-over at 90 hz that i should crank it all the way up. doesnt make sense to me.. But thanks!! hey can you run your sub in stereo?? i cant my receiver is lame.

Bronze Member
Username: Disco_stan

Minnesota

Post Number: 97
You could try using a Y and connect it to your sub pre/out on your receiver.

ryan7777777
Unregistered guest
It only has an LFE cable out i cant even hook it up through speaker wire.. Its no biggie i just have some older technology. Sad thing is it was new a year ago.

Username: Bloz

PA

Post Number: 1
I'll agree with Matt to a point. Play a 15-20 second cut off a cd that has a ton of bass, repeat that section over and over. Turn the frequency up until the sub sounds overpowering, then step it back a notch. If there are two inputs onthe back of your sub only one will be affected by the crossover. When playing with frequency setting also fine the volume.

P.S. subs don't ever play stereo, 2 subs can play mono but one sub can't play stereo.

Bronze Member
Username: Tonytiger

PA US

Post Number: 55
A theory question here. The crossover in the amp only permits sound frequency signals below 90 Hz to go to the sub. The sub has two controls, one volume, one crossover. Even if the crossover on the sub is set to anything above 90 Hz shouldn't there be nothing to reproduce above the 90 Hz? Are you addressing the volume control above?

Bronze Member
Username: Sssand2

Post Number: 18
ryan7777777,
If you use your receiver's cross-over, then normally you defeat the subs cross-over by either a switch or setting the frequency on the subs cross-over as high as it will go. This is what Crutchfield was saying. If you set you mains to small in your receiver, you are activating the receivers cross-over and sending information from both L and R channels as well as LFE to your sub through the single connection. Even if you have large speakers, most people recommend you set them to small so they don't try to play the lowest frequencies. If you want to try setting your mains to large and if you have pre-outs for the main L and R, you can use a 'Y' connector on the receiver L & R pre-out to drive your sub. You can then adjust the subs cross-over to what you like.

Anthony,
Cross-overs are not absolutes. For example, if you set the receiver's low-pass crossover to 90 Hz, the sub will see frequencies 90 Hz and lower at the output level. However, it will also see frequencies above 90Hz but at an increasingly lower output level depending on the cross-over design. For example, the sub may see 80 Hz at -3dB, 70 Hz at -6dB, ...

ryan7777777
Unregistered guest
Thanks Everbody your input has been a lot of help!! The only thing im not sure about is the stereo mode. I was wondering why i cant run my sub while my reciver is in stereo. I have no sound option that runs my Mains(towers) with my sub at the same time.. Except for crappy pro logic. That makes my rears virtual speakers. If i want my sub to run with my towers i have to have my reciver in pro-logic II.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us