Crazy speaker box thats a perfect cube?

Username: Albinoguitarman

Post Number: 1
I am in the process of building a box with 5 10 inch speakers in it i would like the box to be a perfect cube with a speaker in each side and one side open for access does anyone have any idea how big the box should be and will the magnets effect each other? thanx

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3424

Why a "perfect cube"? Has no one told you similar dimensions in a speaker enclosure are a bad idea?

Just out of curiousity, why five 10" speakers?

Post Number: 2
well this is what i have i have 5 10" speakers dont know what kind and no nobody has told me similar dimensions is bad i want to set the box on a corner to get like a multidirectional effect and i think it would be a pretty neet look anyway

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3432

Try this. The frequencies that a 10" driver can produce cleanly are more or less multidirectional to begin with. But as the driver begins to reproduce frequencies that are smaller than its dimension (10"), the driver becomes increasingly directional. If there is nothing to roll off the frequencies where the driver is nonlinear, the distortion will increase as the bandwidth increases.

You can decide what you want to do with this information. If you think it would look 'neet" anyway, have a go at it.

Ohio USA

Post Number: 3
ok thanx i was just wandering if there was a specific amount of room a speaker needs to sound its best or not
maybe i am just crazy and dont know enough about speakers thanx

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3440

Depending on the driver you will be using, you need to know a few parameters of that driver to determine what type of enclosure to use and how much volume will be required to reach a low frequency limit. Depending on the type of enclosure you choose, which will be based on the type of driver and the measurements you obtain, other parameters of the enclosure will be worked out to determine the efficiency and bass extension of the system. But you need to know some specifications for the driver(s) before you can determine anything else. If you have nothing to go by other than the speaker is 10" in diameter, there isn't much anyone can do for you.

If you just want the speakers to make sound, you can put them in any sized box you want. The bigger the better. Obviously, with five ten inch drivers the dimensions of the box are going to have to be fairly large to allow any decent response from the driver. I would suggest you begin with no less that 24" per side. If you make the box bigger, you will increase the bass response. If you make the speaker an acoustic suspension system, a vented or ported system, a band pass system, an isobarik system, a transmission line, an expotential horn, an infinite baffle or an open baffle first depends on the type of driver you have and how extensive you want to make the woodworking. I hope from this you begin to understand building speakers is more than just sticking speakers in a box. If you want to learn about how to make the most of a "DIY speaker", put that phrase in a search engine. There is nothing anyone on this forum can tell you if you know nothing about the specifications of the drivers.

Ohio USA

Post Number: 4
hey thanx that has definately helped
i now realize that what i am wanting do do is probably and most definately a waste of time and well will sound like junk thanx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us