Technics SL1200 MK 2 - Spinning Out Of Control

Faisal
Unregistered guest
I have a Technics MK 2 turntable and now whenever I turn it on and start the direct drive, it will spin REALLY FAST!!...as if it was gonna spin out of control any moment. Glad if someone could help me. Thanx.

Unregistered guest
I got the same problem with a Technics SL-5200.
Let me know if you find a solution!

MikeyD
Unregistered guest
You've got a problem with the servo control system. There is a magnet in the platter, as it passes a coil it creates a signal which is used to control motor speed. If that signal doesn't make it to the motor, it thinks the platter is stopped and tries to speed the platter up. It could be as simple as a disconnected sensor, but it could mean either the sensor or the motor control is bad.

Username: Bats26

Post Number: 1
I have the same problem with my 1200 too!!!!

I hope it's easy to fix.

Unregistered guest
my buddy pulled the knob off my 1200! now i cant find the shaft that inserts into the on/off dial which attaches the dial to the 1200. is there a chance the shaft fell in the 1200? how easy is this to fix? what do i have to do to fix it?

Username: Datar

VanersborgSweden

Post Number: 2
Read what MikeyD wrote. I have had this problem myself and the motor control hade to be replaced. I didn't replace it by my self. I let the shop fix it for me but they told me that the motor control hade to be replaced with a new.

Unregistered guest
I just got a Technics sl-5200 from a guy on ebay but I have the same problem. When firing it up the speed is incredibly fast! If the servo control has to be replaced, how much would that cost at a shop? I don't really want to return it to this poor fellow...I like the unit!

Username: Sampro

Glen Ridge, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 2
Same problem existed when I purchased my Pioneer PL-518 for $4.25 from a gal who was about to place it in the garbage! All that was needed was a nice healthy soaking of Isopropyl Alchohol on the pitch control...let it seep right down in there. Turn the control to max pos both ways back and forth several times. Then let the unit sit overnight.

My direct drive platter on my Pioneer almost flew into orbit when first performing this procedure but settled down to perfection later. It plays beautifully now with an Ortofon OM5E cartridge!

You see...the doggone contacts on the "Pitch Control" get oxidated after awhile and must be cleaned. Isopropyl Alchohol is cheap and effective. It'll clean your "pitch's" contacts...but be patient...let it sit overnight...trust me...Peter

Unregistered guest
my sl1200 mk2 has stop working after a power cut, tried to change the external fuse but still the same? I heard there is an internal fuse, how can i change it? Should I open the decks from the botton or from the top? Any website that explain it?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us