Rega Planar2 help

Username: Velodoom

Bethlehem, PA USA

Post Number: 1
Hi all,

this is my first post and I am a novice to all this, so please keep that in mind as i ask the following question. I have a rega planar 2 turntable that I bought used about 5 years ago. I suspect it is atleast 25 years old (i will try to attach an image). Anyways, my question is this: when playing, the platter wobbles about +- 1mm at the outer edge. The source of the wobble is in the sub platter. Is this something I can fix on my own? Any ideas for the cause of this? Any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for your time,
brian

Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 2948
brian,

Nice photos. But when you write "the platter wobbles about +- 1mm at the outer edge" I cannot envisage this. If the bearing wobbles that much you would hear all sorts of problems, including rumble. That "sub platter" is a pulley wheel, attached to the bearing. You should be able to rotate that by hand, and feel no slack, or wobble. Is that the case? If you take off the belt, then very carefully lift the pulley wheel upwards, i.e. vertically, there should be no detectable horizontal movement. You can pull out and inspect the bearing. Carefully. It might need lubrication. To put it back, just place it in the hole, and wait patiently for gravity to do it.

Yes, the arm says the model is pre-1982 or 3; after that the standard fitted arm was straight, not S-shaped. I have a Planar 3 from the same time and it is excellent. If the bearing is OK, you can replace most things, even the motor, and the arm, and get a better turntable than if you bought new.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 2950
Also try the thread Rega Planar 3 running slow. The two models are essentially the same.

Bethlehem, PA USA

Post Number: 2
john-

thanks for the tips. i've removed the pulley wheel and it is lubricated and has a nice snug but free-moving fit in the bearing. When I re-installed the pulley it still has the slight wobble when the platter is installed. is it possible that the pulley is distorted?

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 2953
From your description, I still can't quite picture this "wobble", Brian. We'd need a movie.

Does it sound OK?

Bethlehem, PA USA

Post Number: 3
can i post a movie? i don't have a webpage to host one. Anyways, as far as I can tell it sounds fine. Are there any standard records audiophiles use to test a setup? like a series of constant tones to check for any wavering or frequency response? I'm really quite new to all this so I don't know how you would quantify this besides saying "sounds good to my ears."
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us