Speaker wire

Bronze Member
Username: Jiggad369

Post Number: 23
how well would this cable work for speaker hook-up?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=100-220

i mean if i combine 2 cables to make 11 awg, wouldn't that be enough? i chose this because i recently heard some speakers through 2 different wires which were some $300 wires and a home made home depot extension cord modified into speaker wires which sounded as good as the more expensive ones. this wire business is so rediculous, i would spit on them. but back to the point, how well do you think this will work? thanx.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 658
Why don't you just buy some 12 gauge speaker wire at partsexpress or Home Depot or even 12 gauge monster cable (their cheap variety)?

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 341
Combining two 22-gauge wires does not make one 11-gauge wire!
22 gauge is tiny!

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 342
It would take nearly 13 22-gauge wires to make up the cross-sectional area of a single 11-gauge (AWG) wire.

Bronze Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 80
I'm with Gregory---generic 12 gauge cable is dirt cheap enough, why bother? Also unless you are running your speakers 20 feet away from your receiver, 16 gauge should be just fine.

I say just be happy that you are not one of the silly folk shelling out $300 for cables.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 252
peter i think you should try explaining what the "gauge" scale is considering he has no idea how it is determined. same thing goes with the decibel scale, most people do not realize it is not a linear scale but rather logramithic.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 345
Christopher, I guess you're right. I should explain my answer rather than just give it point blank.

As Christopher alluded to, wire gauge size is not linear. For every decrease in gauge number of 6 corresponds a doubling of the wire diameter area, and for every decrease in gauge number of 3 correspnds a doubling of wire cross sectional area.

Going from size 22 to 11 is a difference of 11, or 11/3 doublings, and 2**(11/3) = 12.7 or nearly 13.

Hopes this answer actually helps this time.

Peter

Bronze Member
Username: Jiggad369

Post Number: 24
i guess i found my answer here. thanx for all of the help. sorry for the ignorance as i wasn't paying attention to logic. lol. but i think im gonna go with this article. seems interesting and cheap!

Home Depot HD-14G
est. $30 per 50-foot pair with terminations

"Okay, the model designation is my own invention, standing for H (Home) D (Depot) 14G(auge) outdoor extension cord. Otherwise, this entry is no joke. Like several other cables, it comes in a decorative jacket, here of striking orange and black, evocative of Halloween; unlike the others, you must snip off its AC connectors and attach terminations of choice (I used Pomona bananas). The HD-14G rendered Murray Perahia's piano in a big bold manner, lacking just a little in finesse and ultimate transparency. It threw an image on Jacintha's "Something's Gotta Give" with the best--one note reads, "some of the best depth of any cable"--with tuneful bass, notably good height, and a quite lifelike projection. On the Rachmaninoff, it didn't sound as "fast," transparent, controlled, or defined in the bass as the better cables, but it wasn't far behind them either, and it was always highly listenable and involving, with a big-boned, robust presentation that flattered the Appalachian Spring sonics. As for detail, well, it allowed me to hear every piano chord that bleeds through Jacintha's headphones at the beginning of "Danny Boy" (Autumn Leaves); more detail than that you don't need.
I'll leave the last observation to the most technically knowledgeable, musically literate, and experienced of my listening group: "You know what's really good about this cable? It sounds totally unscrewed around with." If its half-inch thickness isn't macho enough, Home Depot also sells a 12-gauge for half again that sum, and a 10-gauge for about twice the price, both in less attractive yellow-and-black jackets. If you still think I'm kidding, know that Tony Faulkner--engineer of about a third of the best-sounding orchestral recordings of the last twenty years--used the Black-and-Decker equivalent to hook up his Quad 989s at the recent Heathrow Show in England--"They are made from good, thick copper wire, look nice and sound good to me"--and that the designer of what is by provable standards one of the half dozen or so most accurate loudspeakers ever made uses and recommends it all the time."

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/newsletter/147/cable_survey2_b.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us