Monitor Audio or Martin Logan, Seekin Advice

Username: Ximen

Post Number: 1
Hi,I am a newbie here seeking some advice. I found a deal on demo Monitor silver 9i.I can also get a demo Martin Logan Montage for $200 more. Seems montage is just the Martin Logan entry model while MA siler 9i is high model. Which one is better in your opinion? Is Montage worth extra $200? Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 402
Hard to say which one's better, all there is are opinions.

Both are excellent speakers. Demo them both.

Post Number: 3
The local dealer doen's have those so I don't have change to listen to them. That's why I am seeking advice here. By the way, my receiver is Denon avr-2805 and the room situation is not very good.I don't have flexibility to place the speakers. Thanks for the reply

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

If you are going to buy speakers without hearing them in your system beforehand, the chances that either one will be equally good or bad are pretty high. Why not consider less of a "bargain" and find a really good deal on speakers you know you'll like.

Silver Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 185
tao li, I have the Montages. I know from other posters that the Monitors are good speakers. The Monitors have a larger range going down to 30 whereas the Montage goes to 47 so that is a consideration. The Montage is a ribbon speaker with a cone mid and bass. The question is whether you like the ribbon sound. If you do, then the Montage is the choice, otherwise it is the Monitors. Also, the Montage is a 5 ohm speaker and you have to have a receiver or amp to drive it. The more power the better it will sound. This is probably a win-win for you however you choose.

Silver Member

Post Number: 186
Here are a couple of reviews:

http://www.stereophile.com//loudspeakerreviews/314/index.html

http://www.avrev.com/equip/martinloganmontage/index.html

Silver Member
Username: Stealth_c

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 112
<sarcasm> Why bother with those no-name companies. If opinions matter to you, go for the most respected name in sound. Go Bose! </sarcasm>

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Paul Harvey likes Bose!

Silver Member

Post Number: 187
tao li, I am hearing that Martin Logan is discontinuing the Mosaics. You probably can get them for below what the Montage is listed at or about $700 each. That is a great deal. Mosaics are better than the Montages in that they have 2 ATF ribbons and one larger cone. I would bite on that one in a second.

Post Number: 4
that's a great news. but where and when can I get that price? by the way, they are discontinuing only the mosaic, not montage?

Silver Member

Post Number: 188
Check out this forum. They mention only the Mosaic at Tweeters.

http://67.19.167.226/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?p=2463#post2463

Quote: "I asked about the discountinuance of the Mosaic, I was told that they Tweeter were selling the Mosaic's at a price of $688.00 each while they lasted $1000.00 MSRP."

Silver Member

Post Number: 408
tao li, the Montage is a new product this year, it's Martin Logan's entry level hybrid speaker.

The Mosaic is a true ribbon speaker and a bargain at $1376.00

Silver Member

Post Number: 189
tao li, Kano's post is not correct. The Montage and Mosaic were introduced in 2003. See time lines:

http://67.19.167.226/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=100

http://67.19.167.226/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=103

They are both hybrids in that the Montage uses an ATF for the high range, has two 6.5" cones for mid and low range and the Mosaic has an ATF for high range and mid range but also has an 8" cone for low range. So the Mosaic is not a "true ribbon speaker". However, the Mosaic is certainly superior to the Montage. I have both speakers and both are excellent. The original list for the Montage is $1495 (pair) and the list for the Mosaic is $1995 (pair). So the $1376 is a great price for the Mosaic which would compare very favorably with $2000 speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 190
The latest post on the ML forum is that some stores are doing a blow out sale and that the Mosaic is not being discontinued. This is a bit unusual in that ML controls its retailers in terms of what prices they can offer. Perhaps it is the store that is discontinuing to carry the line and they are trying to get rid of their stock.

Post Number: 5
Kano, Could you explain a little more aoubt hybrid speaker and ribbon speaker. Which one is better? I assume that mosaic will sound better since it's more expensive? Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 191
tao li: there is no doubt that the Mosaic is better. The "ribbon" is the ATF which is a film. The Mosaic has two which carry over both the high and mid range. The Montage only has one. The Mosaic also has a larger cone and can go slightly deeper. The Mosaic sounds better but the Montage is no slouch. If their pricing is similar, the Mosaic is the better speaker.

Silver Member

Post Number: 411
My bad, I had the Mosaic confused with the Clarity.

Post Number: 6
Jonathan, How much sounding difference between Montage and mosaic? Is mosaic worth extra $500? I just bought the montage i am not sure if I should buy the mosaic instead.

Silver Member

Post Number: 192
Tao li, this is where it gets dicey. There is no end to upgrading. The first question is whether you can afford the extra $500. If it is not a problem, I would consider the Mosaic. The entry to the Montage puts you into a new world of sound (in my opinion) and then from there it is a matter of degree. Also, another question is what receiver/amplifier do you have. One thing I found out is that, even though you can drive these speakers with the usual amplifiers, when you give them more power, they sound better. I had my Montages on a home theater system driven by a NAD T763 and they sounded good. I then hooked them up to a NAD C372 and it was like a different speaker, much better. (There were also differences in room size and flooring -- the home theater is in a big room with a hard floor and the stereo is in a medium room with carpet). In this type of case, it would be worth the extra $500 to get more power rather than getting the Mosaic. You are the one who has to set the bar as to what you want. I really am not interested in getting too deep financially into audio equipment. The Mosaic is definitely better but it is a matter of degree. I thought, if you could find the Mosaic for $1378 that would be similar to the price you would pay on the Montages. If you got the Montages for $850 or so, that is a great deal.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 134
Personally, any speaker from MartinLogan would ber a supreme choice!
I love ML speakers, and think that they represent the extreme end of sound reproduction.

TRY THEM! YOU WILL LOVE THEM!

I myself had a pair (electrostatic type), and switched over to magnepan, another planar speaker.

in the right room they can SING!

Post Number: 9
I finally ended up with mosaic. I compared it with montage. Seems montage lack of middle while mosaic did well in the middle.
Now I am out of money but I need a subwoofer. Anyone can recommend a cheap sub no more than $150. This one is for temporary use for now and will be replaced late when I get right money. Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 195
tao li, I would hold off a sub until you had enough money. You want a sub that can keep up with the Logans. I got the PSB Subsonic 6i at about $499. There are better out there but I wouldn't go lower.

Post Number: 10
Jonathan, I would like to have a little more base for now. you think the cheap sub will compromise the sound?

Silver Member

Post Number: 196
Yes, you will get a bunch of rattle and it won't keep up with the speakers. I have listened to the speakers without a sub in a stereo set up and it does pretty well. You aren't going to get punched in the chest or rattle the walls unless you turn it way up but I think it does fine. Save your money and get a decent sub. By the way, what amplifier are you using and how do the Mosaics sound?

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 143
The best subs for ML are made by ML I have found. They will give y ou a nice smooth sound that will make you melt provided they are properly set up.

The grotto (love it) is $999 if I remember correctly

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Jonathan, I am using arcam avr200 now. The stereo without sub is ok but I feel I need more punch.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us