Do i really need a tonearm cable??

Bowchar
Unregistered guest
I am trying to connect my Kenwood kd-500 to my Philips 900 series receiver. The receiver has a phono input, so I do not need a pre-amp. It used to be hooked up, but I cannot remember how. The turntable has no RCA cables to connect it...There is a 5-pin male part underneath the tonearm which I understand can be connected to a tonearm cable that turns into RCA plugs. But these cables are extremely expensive...PLEASE HELP ME!

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

If you don't use the DIN connector, how else do you propse to make the connection at the tonearm base?

Bowchar
Unregistered guest
No clue. Hence, the asking.

BobP
Unregistered guest
Why don't you buy two RCA plug wires, cut the female ends off and connect them (solder) to each channel of the cartridge leads at the DIN plug. The inner most wire covered with insulation will be the "hot" lead and the first wire you see when baring the wire insulation off is the negative lead. You can then send them out the tables rear side by drilling holes for them to fit through. Secure them so they can't be pulled from the solder joints. This isn't real hard. And Presto! You're converted to RCA plugs. Or just buy the conversion plugs.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

The internal wiring of a tonearm will typically use 24-28 gauge wiring. It is VERY difficult to work with if you are not adept at using a soldering iron and heat sinks. A big glob of solder will pass a signal but may not be the best alternative. If you melt the wires from too much heat, you will have messed up the internal wiring of the arm permanently. The wires will have little slack to work with. Unless you replace the braided shield over the solder connection, you will have an opening for RF inteference. Low level phono signals are particularly prone to RF interference. You will also have to deal with ground problems with a kluged connection.

If you can find the appropriate DIN connector to RCA plugs, you can take the second approach. My memory of the KD500 was it could be ordered with or without a tonearm. You will need to check what arm is on the table. This may determine the cable and connector you can use. The plastic portion of the connector may have a lug molded into its side for a particular arm. It may not even use a standard arm cable. You should determine the type of arm that is on the table before proceeding.

Bowchar
Unregistered guest
I really would not want to risk damaging anything on my turtable. Using an appropriate DIN to RCA converter would be ideal. As for my tonearm, I have no idea what brand it is, I cannot find any brand markings on it. Underneath it is a 5 pin male DIN connection. So, if I understand it correctly, what I need is a 5 pin DIN female to 2 male RCA plugs. I checked around some stereo accessories sites and ebay and can find no such thing, aside from the "tonearm cables" which are about 300-600 dollars for some reason.
I would take pictures of my tonearm and connection and post them, but my digital camera ran out of batteries yesterday.

Vinyl fanatic
Unregistered guest
Don't look for 'tonearm cables' - what you'll find there is cables that run from the cartridge end through the tonearm base. If you look for one, the assumption is you are crazy (like I am), and are looking for pure copper-oxygen-free- single crystal or solid silver cables. They don't come cheap - they usually send your credit card into a melt-down.
Your best bet, if you must buy a cable, is the local Radio Shack (I know they carry a 5-pin DIN to 2 RCA female cable). The best way of course is to dust off your soldering iron and make one yourself.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us