Vintage amp (sansui au-717) & new DF PM700's- bad idea?

somenewguy
Unregistered guest
Hello;
I was hoping somone here might take a little time to help me, it would be much apriciated.

I've just started my journey towards a nice system with the purchase of a new set of Definative Technology PM700's. Problem is- when they get here, all I currently have to play them with is my dinosour crate amp, an old Sansui AU-717. I'm a bit worried this old monster could hurt my new speakers... or vice versa... The spec's on DT's website say the Nominal Impedance is 4 - 8 ohms; and I read one review saying the PM700 even dipped down into the 3's... The only info on ohm rating I know on my sansui, is on the back it says 'when two sets of speakers are connected they should both be 8 ohms or more'... Should I leave my PM700's in my closet untill I can afford a proper reciver??

When I do get a reciver, what would match up well with these speakers? I'm going to try to go Def Tech all around 7.1, (it'll be quite some time before I can purchase them all) so that'd be a goal with the reciver. Do I need to/should I go for seperate amps? -I see some relitively affordable older model carver amps on ebay now and then... any thoughts on this?

Thanks so much for your time.

http://www.definitivetech.com/loudspeakers/powermonitor/powermonitor.html

Username: Diegomar

Post Number: 1
Hi. I haven't an AU 717 (you are lucky to have 1)..mine is a more "poor" A-60..and i've used it with speakers also under 4 ohms..never had problems. Sansui was famous to be able to pilote whatever speakers. Use only a little of care, don't start with all volume "up"...if you don't turn to max...no problems for your Sansui or yours speakers. Sorry for my english. Ciao
Ps. If u need more mail me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us