A Marantz Heat Solution

Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 2
Previously, as an unregistered guest I have complained about the heat our Sr7300 gives off when driven hard (in 2 or 6 channels) epecially in very hot weather and with plenty of space all around and nothing on top - had to remove top shelf on cabinet.

To be fair to Marantz, the heat sink and cooling fins run front to back along the top center of the unit and, as heat rises, I really don't know whether the heat tranfers to at-risk components within.

Advice was to install a fan. For looks we did not wish to do this (and should not have had to we believe after spending good money) but I relented and came up with a great solution. I purchased from a local electronics store, a small 4in diameter X 3/4 in high 12 volt fan with an a/c adapter that can be regulated from 4 to 12 volts. I attached stick-on felt feet and placed it on the top center of the unit.

Now the 7300 barely gets luke warm even driven hard on a hot day and I can now keep the top shelf on. The fan is whisper quiet and is barely noticeable asthetically.

Heat, as you all would know, is a killer of components and this cheap remedy now gives us peace of mind while enjoying what this fabulous receiver offers. Initally I was leaning towards NAD for its superb sound, but for several reasons (including a big price drop) we got the 7300 and now we couldn' be happier.

Bronze Member
Username: Billdashill

Post Number: 61
What speakers are you using and what are their specs? Just curious.

Post Number: 3
Jeff,

Front L&R : JBL Xti 60's 6ohm 88d sensitivity
These are Danish made with French Drivers. I don't think they are available in America but you'll find them here http://www.convoy.com.au

Center: B&W LCR6 series2
8ohm 89d sensitivity

Rears: JBL SR3611's 8ohm 90d sensitivity

All above 150watt maximum

Sub: Richter Krakatoa (Aus made)

Bronze Member
Username: Billdashill

Post Number: 62
Nice setup. I'm glad you got it all worked out. Better to see a fan than to cook the Marantz's guts.

Post Number: 4
Thanks Jeff,

I agree, it'll be interesting to see if the fan is needed in the cooler seasons, but it's a small price to pay for such great sound enjoyment.

Bronze Member
Username: Tonytiger

Post Number: 19
I did something like this to my 7400. I bought a quiet 2 1/2" ball bearing 12v fan at a local Computer Show, then found a 6 volt transformer from a long dead calculator in the desk. I cut the adapter off and stripped the wires and soldered them to the fan leads. I plugged the transformer into the switched outlet of the Marantz. I used little rubber feet I had in my parts box to insulate it. For about $5 I had a switched fan that is undetectable.
You came up with a good solution. The only other thing I did was to build stand offs for the back of the cabinet so that 3/4" of space is all around the back. I aimed the fan at the opening in the right rear. This makes the fan invisible from the front.

Post Number: 6
Anthony

Great idea! I may copy it but I'll still need to keep the fan on top over the vent holes as the 7300 has no rear opening. I still think it's a shame we need to do this at all, but it is a cheap and effortless remedy for peace of mind while enjoying the great sound of these quality units

Bronze Member
Username: Kev5

Post Number: 13
It's good to hear that the external fan seems to have solved the heat problem for you.

Since I have moved my 7300ose from a bookshelf location to the top of an open stereo stand the receiver doesn't run hot anymore but I know this isn't a practical solution for everyone.

The dealer recommended an external fan if I was unable to relocate the receiver although he claims the Marantz is designed to run hot and that heat should not be a problem so long as it doesn't get so hot that it goes into protect mode.

Post Number: 8
Kev5

I'm no expert but I don't think any electronic component would be designed to run hot. As I stated before, I know heat rises and that the heat sink and fins run along the top and thus may not imperil parts within. But I have had the unit on top of the cabinet with nothing above and it did indeed run very hot so much so that it did go into protect mode and caused me concern. Our summer temps and humidity could well attribute.

I think the 7300's are an exceptional unit, well built and great sound. My only complaint is the heat issue which has now been addressed. When I see all the other problems with other units I feel very fortunate.

I may have gone for the ose but in Aus they only came in gold and $600 more. Cheers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
My Rantz,

I agree with you about the heat issue. Electronic components and too much heat are not a good combination.

That's a heck of a price jump for the 'ose' model in Australia. I'm in Canada and the price difference in Canadian dollars was around $250.

The dealer praised the 7300ose so much he talked me into it. Both the 7300 and the 7300ose are excellent units in my opinion.

Post Number: 9
Kev5

Prices for audio and video are far too high here.

The original price for the Sr7300 was $2199 and was reduced (to make way for the still to come here Sr7400) $1799 and the ose was $2899 down to $2499 - so my maths was bad - that's $700 difference!

If it was only $250 I might have suffered the gold - our other components are all black.

Username: Joolz27

just clarifying...you are talking about the price of the Marantz SR7300?? I just listened to it at a retail chain today (A&B Sound in Canada) and it was on for $839 CAD. Is that a total steal or are we talking about a different model??

Post Number: 10
joolz

Yes SR7300 but $1799 (reduced price) is Australian dollars.
On Conversion that's $1430. US or $1886 CAD

You Gotta feel sorry for we Aussies :-(

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Joolz,

I am also from Canada.

$839 Canadian is a steal in my opinion.

In December, the Marantz SR7300 was selling for $1,200 Canadian at A&B Sound.

Since then the price has been dropping dramatically to make way for the 2004 models. The SR7300 is being replaced with the SR7400.

At that price the SR7300s will probably sell out fast.

Username: Sulfur

Yes $839 is definitely a steal. The "friend's" price A&B gave me last fall was C$1,100 (retail $1,300).

I end up getting a 7300ose from another dealer for C$1,150 (retail $1,600) last Dec. I imagine if I waited till now I could have it for C$1k.

If you live in Vancouver you should also give Commercial Electronics a try. They stock 7300/7300ose and NAD, so you can compare the units side by side in the same room!

Post Number: 7
I forgot to mention, the word is A&B Sound is dropping the Marantz line. So you probably won't see any x400 models there.

Not that Marantz is bad, they have been an authorized dealer for both Denon & Marantz for years. But with the merger, I heard dealers aren't suppose to carry both lines.

Maybe that's why there is a fire sale on the x300 series.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Anthony,

How do you like your 7300ose? What speakers do you have matched with it?

I also dealt with Commercial Electronics in Vancouver and highly recommend them. At C$1,150 you're a better negotiator than me. Good price.

Post Number: 10
Very happy with the unit. Doesn't have a zillion DSP features but it does everything I want in Stereo/DD/DTS 5.1/6.1. Not a single issue since I got it. Sound is very sweet. And like others said, SourceDirect (unprocessed) is the best option. In short I have not lost any sleep over not picking a NAD T752/762 (the other 2 in my top 3 choices).

Never had any heating issues. After running for hrs the unit is only barely warm to the touch because 1) I never crank it beyond -20db, and 2) it sits openly on top of an IKEA shelf, 3) room temp has been less than 18C/65F since I got it, 4) it's probably one of the last batch of units produced before Marantz discontinued the model

C.E. won't budge on the C$1,600 MSRP. I bought my unit as a combo pkg with my B&W elsewhere. The shop stocks B&W & Denon but he also has an account with Lenbrook, and got me the 7300ose & KEF Q7 for a friend of mine.

Initially he hardsold me on a Denon 2803, but I made it pretty clear I prefer a NAD or Marantz. I actually had a NAD put on hold at C.E., but this guy finally gave in and special ordered a 7300ose for me & gave me a packaged price with my B&Ws.

I'm running a 5.1 setup in my apartment:
- 603 S3 fronts
- 601 S3 surrounds
- LCR 600 center (did not like the LCR 60)
- Polk 8" PSW250 sub (until I get a house)

Bronze Member
Username: Axlrose19802002

Post Number: 60
i just got my first home theater setup on tuesday and won't have time to set it up and try it out until saturday, but i'm wondering, since i purchased the 6400 if there are similar problems with that model over heating? i have an entertainment system that is on the small side as i purchased floor standing speakers and didn't want the piece to take up the whole room. while it is almost all solid oak, the back panel which no one can see is just thin garbage wood that i'm thinking of cutting into. i don't have much if any space in front of or behing the receiver and i'm thinking of just hanging part of it out the back to make wiring and heat a non-existant problem. any thoughs?

Username: Joolz27

Well, I'm feeling pretty good about the A&B price!! Could somebody explain the difference between the Marantz 7300 and 7300ose. I've copied the info from the Marantz site...

"The SR7300OSE's advanced DSP circuitry utilizes 24-bit, 192 kHz audio decoding and a leading edge Crystal DSP chip for superlative fidelty and resolution. The SR7300OSE is software upgradeable via a RS232C terminal and includes a programmable learning remote control."

Bottom line - is the quality of sound improved in the ose model? Would you say the 7300 is going to be a better receiver than the H/K AVR525? (I'm going to be using Klipsch RF3 towers and quintets for surround).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Anthony
Glad you like yout 7300ose and from what you say it seems the heat problems with my 7300 can be attributed to our extreme heat conditions - average since the start of Jaunary from 85 to over 100F. This weekend about 110F. The 7300's are excelllent units.

Joolz

The OSE has more sheilding, copper chassis, improved wiring, gold inputs, HDCD decoding and a little more power (110wpc comapred to 105wpc).

Mathew

I don't know about heat with the 6400 but it's not a big problem. Should it get hot a small 12 volt fan will suffice.

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 237
My Rantz,

That is a good tip in you original post. Thanks. I think I will get a small fan for my NAD. It has to be unobtrusive and quiet. Certainly over-heating is the number one cause of internal component failure. Also, I have a nice turntable above my receiver and its underside gets disconcertingly hot when the receiver is working hard.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
John A

This weekend we are having record temps - around 110F inside. I also had a room fan pointed behind our rear projection TV to prevent a dark mask forming across the screen (?) but the tiny 12 volt fan set to only 9 volts on the adaptor) kept the SR7300 just slightly warm so it certainly does the trick.

Oh for air conditioning - maybe that should have come before HT and Audio goodies!

Silver Member

Post Number: 241
My Rantz,

Thanks again. I will look out for a 12 V fan, and add it to my shortlist of low-cost, high-value hi-fi tweaks, like Blue-Tak for speakers. Perhaps you are somewhere up in the Deep North. What a great country you have there.

modder
Unregistered guest
For better cooling and lower noise, larger diameter fans are better. I am using a 120mm (4.7") 12V running at 7 volts. Its spins very quietly and you will have to put your hear right next to it to notice noise from the fan. It also moves a fair amt of air. To eliminate vibration caused by the fan, I use blu tacks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
John A

Anything to have great sound and peace of mind.

The adaptor I am using can be set in increments: 2,4,6,9,12 volts. At 12 a little soft noise can heard a few feet to the unit (without sound on). 9v is a whisper and the others barely audible. I got the salesman to test it before buying. The fan is a ball bearing type which I was told are the quietest.

"A great country" It really is a sunburnt country at present! We are in the hinterland of the Gold Coast in Queensland - At least there is a surf 10 mins away to cool off!

Modder,

I agree, larger fans for better cooling, but found the 4in adequate. During the tortuous heat this weekend I ran it on 9v otherwise 6 works well.

The SR7300 has a partition (heat sinks and fins) running front to back. It case of positioning the fan to cool both sides.

Silver Member

Post Number: 245
Point taken about larger fan blades at lower speeds, also a variable adaptor. Thanks. Some computers have horrible buzzing fans that really get you down after a while.

Visited Australia for the first time in 2001, MR, including Brisbane and Couran Cove. What a fantastic place. You must see "Finding Nemo". He must have swum off your coast in the EAC.

Post Number: 2
Glad you like Couran Cove John A. It is a nice retreat. I haven't be able to post - kept getting error about invalid user/pword. I re-registered the same names and p/word and now okay - wierd!

You're not the first one to tell us to see "Finding Nemo" - so it's not just for kids eh? Guess we'll have to relent. Our 28 year old son said it was great fun - I gave him one of those looks and he said just watch it!

Post Number: 3
"Finding Nemo" has a lot of subtle, adult (I mean "grown-up"!) humour. E.g. I am not sure if small children will understand the angst of would-be vegetarian sharks trying to kick the meat habit. The sound and picture are superb. Also the Barrier Reef (been there, seen it!) is done with thrilling attention to detail and zoological accuracy, except that the creatures swivel their eyeballs, have human facial expressions, and talk. Strongly recommended, at any age. I suppose one advantage of Home Cinema is you do not have to take a child/grandchild along as an alibi for watching. Add the Lion King, Ice Age, Toy Story etc. But Finding Nemo is really something. Makes me want to re-visit.

BTW our youngest recently got Finding Nemo for her fifth birthday. We all had to watch it. That's my excuse. But it was brilliant. Worth owning, in fact.

I have a posting problem, too. I have left off the "." hoping my old data can be restored eventually.

Thanks John A.

Now I'm looking forward to seeing it!

I think everyone is experiencing these posting problems!

Post Number: 4
My Rantz. Thanks. The phrase I learned down there, and love: "No worries!".

John A

That's "No worries mate!"

and further north: "No worries A mate!" or "No worries mate -A!"

We are a "Weird Mob", we get that from living downunder - blood rushes to the head! Cheers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us