A/V Receiver under $400

Anonymous

Could anyone recommend me a decent A/V Receiver brand/model $400 can buy(I cannot afford more than this)? I went through many reviews at different online sites and found conflicting opinions about some models. I found many experienced users writing their own experience on this BBS (most of them are taking with very high-end components which I can only dream at this point.) Any help in this matter will be highly appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Airforceone

Post Number: 69
I don't know the exact models they have out right now but when I first started into this a couple of years ago I got a Kenwood VR-615 receiver(250 dollars). Serverd me VERY well, so well in fact that when I went to buy a 1000 dollar plus receiver I had rervations as to whether I would like it as much as I did the Kenwood. I did, but the Kenwood, for the money, was great. Wasn't much for music, but for Home Theater it did very well. Never had a problem of any kind with it either. I'll check the Kenwood site and post back a link to a receiver or two in your price range.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
The one I'm linking to is the lowest priced one I could find on the site. It's MSRP is 450 dollars but you can surely get it for less either on sale or through negotiations. Here it is:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/product.jsp?productTypeId=55&sortBy=price&prod uctId=2532

They have another for 600 I'll link to because it wouldn't surprise me if you can get it for very near what you want to spend:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/product.jsp?productTypeId=55&sortBy=price&prod uctId=2533

There are many other manufacturers to choose from with receivers in your price range, but Kenwood is the only one I have experience with, and it served me very well. Got me hooked on home theater. Good luck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
FWIW, those receivers I linked to look to me to be the same as the 615 I bought two years ago except they have more features, mainly THX, DD EX, and DTS ES and circle surround. There are a few others though. The power specs look to be the same. The 615 was black as well, they've since gone silver I guess. Don't know if you can get them in black. I initially had to use a passive sub with it, and when I switched to a powered sub and relieved the Kenwood of that burden, it really rocked.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
Shoot, they have two pages of receivers. Here's a link to a page full of kenwood's you can afford:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/product_type.jsp?productTypeId=55&sortBy=price &pageId=2

All will work best with a powered sub. In this price range, power will be the biggest receiver shortcoming.

Username: Slimmer

Post Number: 4
I'll sell you my denon 1803 for 250. If not, you should check out the onkyo packages(like 400-500 for receiver and speakers).

Username: Sem

Post Number: 8
Anon, I faced the exact situation as you are facing now. On one hand I felt out of place on these boards as most of the posts here are about equipment I can only dream of as well. But on the other hand I felt really quite at home here because the regulars here truely understand the financial limitations of some of us and they'll make suggestions to maximize your value based on mow much you're willing and able to spend.

If I can make a suggestion. NAD A/V receivers certainly get their share of press here so it should be easy to find the pros and cons of this brand. That being said, you can pick up a previous generation NAD T742 for $399 (refurbished with a 1yr warranty from https://dmc-electronics.com/Default.htm You'd be hard pressed to find a better A/V receiver at that price. Also a call or email to http://saturdayaudio.com/ might be worth your while. They have the T742 - new, unopened box, listed at $449 but you might be able to get it for $399 ;-) I just bought one of these and I couldn't be happier with it. Good luck.

Anonymous

Thank you very much for all your guidance... let me go to local shops to experience these models before I make a decision to purchase one... as a matter of fact, I also prefer BLACK color. If you have any additional comments/info please post it here... thanks again for all of your time

Bronze Member
Username: Gdawg

Canada

Post Number: 93
Anon,

Go with this receiver:

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecce/shop/detail.asp?dpno=149556 Save your money for speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Heff

Post Number: 107
It is possible to find a good receiver under $400. Last July, I bought a new H/K AVR-325 for $383 from an authorized H/K dealer. At the time it was still their current offering and a popular model. A lucky break considering refurbished units were selling for that price. In fact, I sold it later that year for $500 and bought another H/K.

Username: Stone

Post Number: 10
The HK AVR230 goes for 380.00 new from onecall.

Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 2
i DEFINATELY wouldn't buy the kenwood. i bought a kenwood reciever a few years back that i returned a day or two later because one channel was SEVERAL decibles quieter than the other and needed it's balance control adjusted 1 "hour" left or right to image properly and then would track poorly with volume changes. i bought it instead of a sony etc. because i liked it's spartan appearance, NOT because it sounded better.

for cheapest of the cheap recievers, pioneer USED TO have the best sound while sonys sounded soft in the treble as did their cd players.

yamaha has always produced decent products for the price, but from what i've heard lately, they aren't as "hi-end" as they used to be.

i bought an onkyo home theater reciever to replace my "respected" NAD 2 channel reciever, and really liked the sound. it images better than the NAD and has more extended and cleaner treble. i bought the onkyo because i liked it's appearance (as with the kenwood) and because i already had a matching onkyo dvd player.

if i were to go back and purchase again, i'd probably go with a similarly priced denon instead as they seem to be a little more generous with their output power specs. (more headroom)

harmon kardon sound great, but especially for entry level surround recievers, they are $100+ more expensive than denons or onkyos for the same specs.

i'm more than happy with my 55 watt onkyo driving superzeros (small and inefficient) but don't like that i can't upgrade to 4 ohm magnepans with it, but then again no other entry level recievers can do 4 ohm loads safely either. i thought that a surround reciever would be a step backwards soundwise for 2 channel listening, but my onkyo clearly sounds better than my NAD with a similar power rating.

the d/a converters on both my onkyo dvd player and reciever sound ALOT better than my sony cd player's did. for 2 channel listening, using the reciever's d/a converters (coaxial) sounds slightly better than analog out from the dvd player.

hope that helps.

Bronze Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 42
NAD T742 refurbished ($400-450) for speakers that need good power.

Also consider the Onkyo 601 refurbished ($300-350) if matched with efficient speakers. Skip the 501 though, big step down from the 601 IMHO.

Not personally experienced with other good receivers in this price range.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 434
Anon:

I was just visiting the DMC Electronics website and they have the NAD T742 for $399, which is a steal. You absolutely cannot beat this receiver for quality of sound, especially not for $400. It will give you the type of quality one usually only expects when spending about $1K or more. Check it out at www.dmc-electronics.com. Good luck!

Bronze Member
Username: W9cw

Post Number: 14
Although not an NAD quality unit, one other to consider is the Panasonic SA-HE100 receiver. I don't have personal experience with the unit, but I know individuals who have - and, they love it.

If you look at the test results for output power into 5 channels continuously driven, this unit surpasses many in the $500 to $800 price range. NOTE: That's because it uses a "Class H" audio amplifier design, which BTW is very similar to the NAD concept of amplifier design. And, if you can believe the reviews on Audioreview.com, everyone is very pleased with it. For what you pay, you get quite a bit, not only in performance but A/V I/O's.

Certainly, it's more of a consumer unit, only has a one-year warranty I believe, and is more of a "consumable." But, it is a lot of receiver for the price. And, it even has a phono input!!

Typical street price is $229 to $299. Just a thought . . .
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us