Are Sony speakers that bad?

Username: Marcuslee842

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 1
I have a question, are Sony speakers that bad. I purchased 6 3-way SS-MB350H's bookshelves and a SS-CN550H and found the sound incredible on my Pioneer 1014TX-K. The receiver has an auto set-up mode and actually uses a 5band equalizer for each speaker. It sounded better than the Cineplex down the street. I can't buy $1000 speaker systems, but I found a Sony website were these speakers cost $229 a pair (don't worry I bought them from Etronics for $66 a pair). I don't remember the exact address but I will post it as soon as I find it. I'm what you called strapped for cash, currently I have a 01' Mustang Cobra with a $375 note and I am buying a $7000 dollar twin turbo system, currently saving for a house, and to top it all of I have a girlfriend (most expensive). So I really can't rush out and by the most expensive speakers. I just really want to know is there really a major difference jumping from Sony Speaker to one of the most expensive models.

One of the best "budget" home theater systems ever
Receiver Pioneer 1014TX-K 770 110w x 7 THX Certified
TV: Advent 27" HDTV displays 480P, 720p, and 1080i
Sub: Yamaha YSTSW1500 sub 1000watt 12in.
DVD: Panasonic S27 Advanced progressive Scan DVD player
Speakers: 6 3-Way Sony SS-MB350H bookshelf speakers, SS-CN550H Center channel.
2 Apc line conditioner/voltage regulators. (one for audio the other for video)
Normally retails $3736 I paid $1724 not to shabby

Silver Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 124
Both Sony SS-MB350H and CN550H are decent budget speakers. Normally, the MSR prices are much higher than street prices. Just don't buy Sony receivers, though. :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Stealth_c

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 99
Sony is respectable in the budget realm. You can hear differences with more expensive models, but the worth of those differences changes from person to person. I for example would find much more amusement in that turbocharger of yours than 7000 dollars worth of speakers, but thats just me.

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the input, I appreciate knowing that I'm am not listening to very poor speakers. The funny thing is my father just hit the lottery for $266,000 and is going to give me $10,000 to start. All of the equipment I have I bought in the last 2 months, now I have money for higher quality components but I don't want to buy more of the same thing if you know what I mean. It would have been nice if he would have done that 2 months ago! Now I'm going to have $10,000+ dollars in my pocket and theres no electronic equipment I wish to buy. Guess it's time to start tricking out my car!

Bronze Member
Username: Tevo

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 79
Nice.

I can help you spend some of that extra cash burning a whole in your wallet.

:-)

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 3
Okay, say I was going to upgrade from the sonys what, brand would you recomend for the Pioneer 1014TX-K and the 1000 watt yahmaha sub.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 117
Paradigm for sure! They are an OUTSTANDING speaker for the money. I have had great success with paradigms, and reccomending them to friends.

Any speaker from the focus on up should satisfy you.

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the info, if I do decide to upgrade I'll research them and see what they are about.

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 5
Oh yeah, this is a little off topic, but for anyone whose wondering the turbocharger would boost HP from 320 to 680+! Sorry I had to bragg.

Bronze Member
Username: Stealth_c

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 100
Just make sure your tires, brakes, and suspension are up for the job before you go and kill/embarrass yourself.

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 9
Don't worry I been had that taken care of. 14" Brembos, steel braided brake lines, BFGoodrich rubber, and a Steeda suspension and anti-roll bars, and bushings. I only race on track, not on the street.

Silver Member
Username: Rkvfire

Vancouver, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 183
Marcus, If i was in your shoes with that 10grand i would make that money work for me. I would invest $1000 into an long term investment program in return would generate 3.1million in 3 years. and with $2500-$3000 i would invest that into another couple programs to generate $30,000 and cylce that about 4-6times a year, or with $4000 generate $50,000, and cylce that 4-6 times a year. With the left over money, get somethin to keep your gf happy lol. Or juice up your toy.

Thats what i would do, and in tern before summer i would be able to upgrade those sony's and everything you own to something higher!

Also get the gf a nice ring, or necklace to keep her quiet about what you buy :P

Silver Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 126
Yup, I had same thought as Slade and started my own business with around $6000 several years ago. I now have a very comfortable life thanks to that 6000 buck investment.

Silver Member

Post Number: 184
hey awesome kevin, what do you do? send me an email. yeah that would be the best way to go.. thats why i live a nice comfortable life, like urself.

Bronze Member
Username: Diablo

Fylde Coast, England

Post Number: 52
I must look to invest in Canada The returns seem a little better than we can get in the UK !
( three years is long term? :confused: )

Silver Member

Post Number: 185
Canada rather sucks at investing. thers only 4000 mutual funds in North America, In the Uk your lucky!! thers over 40,000 there.. and they pay up to 1200% a year! as in North America they about about 8%.. Theres allot of stuff you should jump all over in the UK to make urself huge money.

Yes three years is a long term investment. What are you confused about and ill try to explain.

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 10
Diablo, Slade I am very intrigued and wish to subscribe to your magazine. Sorry couldn't resist. Seriously something like that has crossed my mind. If you guys could give me more ideas and information it would be greatly appreciated. For instance how would I invest or start an income with this money. Please reply I am very interested in this idea. My email is marcuslee842@yahoo.com feel free to email me with and info or advice. Thanks for the excellent advice.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 196
i sure as hell would like to know how to turn a couple thousand dollar investment into a hundred thousand dollar A/V system. hell i'd even like a couple ten thousand for a car. investing has always been a fuzzy way to make money for me. not that i mean shady, but don't know whats going on.

Silver Member

Post Number: 186
christopher, You invest in a low risk, high payout investment. Like mutual funds were the only way to go, to get garanteed money 30 years ago, becuase 1 fund was consisted of about 40different shares and stocks. Like i said 30 years ago was a grat time because they were paying about 30-40%, now they are only paying 8!!! its pathetic and unbeleivable, but yet people are still trusting their bank, and getting into them. As i posted before, the UK has over 40,000 of them, and those ones and THOSE ones alone, are the only ones worth investing in. If you look at it this way, the UK mutual funds pay 1200-1300%, and North America pays 8%. Which is the better offer? My point exactly. Europe funds are consider an off shore account, so hey my advise to anyone.. If their going over seas for a vacation, look into opening an off shore account, then you can trade the 40,000 funds, and also deal with import/exporting and make even more.

Its fuzzy to you, mainly because you dont understand it. If you started to, youd be thrilled you knew what is going on. Theres tons of programs, and things to invest in, so hey, u just need to read up on them, get some info, or if you still dont know, or cant be botherd, thats why u usually get a broker, or a financial planner.. which i dispise! all they do is take your money.. but hey, they do know some stuff. If you want i can share some stuff with you on what to invest in, and what not.

Im mostly currently into Network marketing at the moment. But i have about 2500 investments out there in the world. so if you want to know, just leave me ur email and ill contact you.

Marcus, ill email you with information.

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdrummer

Post Number: 108
Marcus, I too use the Sony bookshelf speakers you spoke of, they do have a very nice sound for the price.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 24
I just purchased the SS-MF750H towers. I think that they will sound great for the money. Especially with Gran Turismo 4 engine tones pushing through them. (No I am not a Sony fanboy, but I do like their speakers and Gran Turismo 4 is so good it should be illegal)

Silver Member

Post Number: 190
lol yeah its a good game. rather short though.. i finished it in 4 days.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 26
4 days! You must have been playing non-stop. I wish I could do that, between work and my girlfriend I hardly ever get a chance to play anything.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 320
Slade,

Did you ever get your 500K$ sound system? (Or however much it was?)

Silver Member

Post Number: 191
Peter,

Yes i did, and i was just going to post about that. im in a state of shock right now, so shocked im laughing really hard. The total was 528K. ok, heres the story.. I purchased in back in what october/november, everything was awesome beyond awesome.. I had the floors re-done so it could support all the weight, and everything was fine. Now 3 days ago, i heard a crash.. rather loud actually, thought a truck crashed on the street downtown, so i look out my balcony, nothing.. Start walking toward the kitchen and i hear yelling.. It was really loud, so im wonderin who the hell. Walk a lill more and open my door for the HT.............................. hah...hah... hah.. Well, there was a big hole in the floor, and well... the neighbours below me were the ones screamin and yellin... hah.. im still in shock and cant stop laughing.. So there went 530K litterally through the floor... luckily i insured everything.. The wilson audios are pretty much totalled, the krell and everything is all smashed up. Im still in my state of shock.. Neighbours are wanting to sue me, hah, lol jeez i tell ya. So now people are workin buildig the floor again, and i have to baby the neighbours, because they cant use their suite cuz well lol their living room is crushed. so i had to stick them in a hotel and pretty much treat them like kings and queens.. Unreal i tell ya.

Silver Member

Post Number: 192
Marcus,

Yeah, when i get new games i play for about 6 hours staright, then play some more lol. I usually beat all my games in a week or two. Im just waiting for an actual RPG to come out that can take me a month to finish. Ill be the first one in line for that one!

Also, you havent replied to my email yet, did you get it or what? Let me know what the deal is.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 325
Slade,

Pictures! We want pictures! :-)

(Leaving for a 10-day helicopter ride in 30 minutes, so probably won't be replying for a while)

Peter

Bronze Member
Username: Silver007

Post Number: 21
"Oh yeah, this is a little off topic, but for anyone whose wondering the turbocharger would boost HP from 320 to 680+! Sorry I had to bragg."

BS.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 34
http://www.turbochargedpower.com/ if you think it's B.S.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 35
I got my sony towers yesterday and they are much better than I thought they would be. The sound is amazingly clear and powerful.

Ed N.
Unregistered guest
Hi Slade,, I've been very interested in reading about your successful investment stategies (esp in the UK). I have some extra $$ lying around which not doing much in the bank here in Canada and wanting more than the 4-8% ROI...
My email is edng30@yahoo.com Please hit me back...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us