Arcam A65(plus) vs. Creek 4330(SE)

Marc C
Unregistered guest
Anyone had a showdown between these little budget-minders?

I'll be checking them out,(along with the Jolida 1015RC), while I know it's a personal taste thing, would love to get anyone's impressions. If you want to recommend some sources and/or speakers they go well with, feel free.

M

Unregistered guest
Both are good amps for the money. Sound wise the Creek is smooth, detailed with a fairly deep soundstage. Perhaps it's low end is the amps only real weakness.
The Arcam also has a similar tonal balance, but is not quite so detailed. The main reason for this is due to the Creek's Passive Preamp stage. Because the preamp is passive (offers no gain), the input current from the source is not affected (ie. no loss in signal integrity). This means that more information is conveyed. Creek has managed to use a passive preamp stage by utilising a sensitive input arrangement in the power amp.
Another advantage with the Creek is it's ability to drive the hardest of loads. It's current capabilities (19.5Amps) is phenominal. Even the old Arcam Alpha 9's did not have these current reserves. This equates to 370W into a single Ohm of max dynamic power.
Any down sides to the Creek? Yes, build quality. The Arcam has a smarter casing. But in my opinion, that is the only area where the Arcam wins out.
Speakers for the creek: B&W go well. Look at the 303's, 601's and the 602's. Also have a listen to the Epos range of speakers. Epos is Creeks sister company. Happy listening, and remember neither the Arcam or the Creek are bad amps.

Marc C
Unregistered guest
Brad,

Thanks very much for a very thorough and even handed answer. They both seem like such great amps,(and so cheap!), I doubt I'd be disappointed with either. Creek sounds like my bet,(love that torque!), and as much as I like a good casing, I'll take the ampage any day.

Some speakers I'm also considering:

Green Mountain Europas
Spendor 3/5's
Meadowlard Kestrels
or maybe just a set of old JBL monitors.

Like I can go wrong with any of this stuff...

Unregistered guest
Marc, i have never heard the Green Mountains or the Meadowlands. Remember i am from Britain. Those brands are not over here.

The Spendors, i have heard, but it was a short listen. They seemed very detailed and involving. Tonal balance was also pretty neutral. Should be ideal with the Creek.

One word of advice though. If you go for the Creek 4330 SE amp, make sure your source (CD Player) is the best you can afford. The Creek is VERY transparent (due to passive pre amp stage). I would therefore say that an Arcam CD72/73 is a minimum requirement. If you can afford better, pay for it, because you will hear the added detail through the Creek. Other well balanced players are Rega Planet, Rega Jupiter, Arcam CD92 (smoother than Rega, but not quite as exciting), Creek CD43(very good if you can find one), Cyrus (can sound a little bright, but very detiled) as well as Linn (you respect their sound the more you listen - very little listening fatigue). forget NAD (skipping problems on slightly scratched CD's). Happy listening,

Regards,

Brad

Unregistered guest
Marc, i have never heard the Green Mountains or the Meadowlands. Remember i am from Britain. Those brands are not over here.

The Spendors, i have heard, but it was a short listen. They seemed very detailed and involving. Tonal balance was also pretty neutral. Should be ideal with the Creek.

One word of advice though. If you go for the Creek 4330 SE amp, make sure your source (CD Player) is the best you can afford. The Creek is VERY transparent (due to passive pre amp stage). I would therefore say that an Arcam CD72/73 is a minimum requirement. If you can afford better, pay for it, because you will hear the added detail through the Creek. Other well balanced players are Rega Planet, Rega Jupiter, Arcam CD92 (smoother than Rega, but not quite as exciting), Creek CD43(very good if you can find one), Cyrus (can sound a little bright, but very detiled) as well as Linn (you respect their sound the more you listen - very little listening fatigue). forget NAD (skipping problems on slightly scratched CD's). Happy listening,

Regards,

Brad

Marc C
Unregistered guest
Brad,

Thanx for the input on reasonably priced cdp's. Very important as well.

All the best,

Marc

Bronze Member
Username: Walt_h

Tustin, CA USA

Post Number: 22
Marc,

I just recently got the Arcam CD82T and am quite pleased so far. Playing it thru Arcam FMJ A32 integrated. The CD82 has two Wolfson DAC's - a separate one for each channel. The imaging is terrific. They are reduced in price now as well - so if you can stretch it, I'd get it. It's a long-term investment.

Marc C
Unregistered guest
Walter,

Thanx very much for the recommendation. I really look forward to checking all this stuff out!

This is fun...

Marc

Unregistered guest
It may be too late to post this message, but one of the best systems I ever had (I still regret selling it - but a friend begged me to let him buy it) was my Creek 4330R, original Rega Planet CD player (not the 2000) and Meadowlark Audio Kestrel Hot Rods. I would recommend this system to anyone, it was absolutely fabulous for the money.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us