Need a cheapo sub

nightwish
Unregistered guest
I just moved to a house and my def tech pro sub 80 is just not cutting it in this larger space.For $250 are there any decent 12 or 15 inchers out there?The sub will be in a 5.1 setup,but mostly used for music listening.Mostly black metal and progressive rock.

nightwish
Unregistered guest
A few I saw on ebay in my range:

Pinnacle digital sub 150,150rms,sealed
Sony SA-WM500,150rms,ported
JBL Northridge E250P,250rms,ported
Bic America Acoustech H-100,150rms,ported
Cadence XSUB-12,350rms,ported

Anyone familiar with any of these,suggestions?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 350
Hard to get big sound for a cheap price without compromising sound quality. You may consider a do it yourself with a plate amp which may cut down on costs... but my best recommendation would be the SVS PB10-ISD for $429 shipped. For the extra $180 you will not be sorry you spent it.

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb10_isd.htm

Bronze Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 95
take a look at paradigm. They have great subs in the PDR range that are just out of your price range. The PDR 10 is a great buy.

Bronze Member
Username: Stealth_c

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 97
I would go for the JBL or Pinnacle of the choices you gave. At the 299 mark there is this beast though http://www.hsustore.com/stf1.html.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 171
i would take a look at velodyne too. VRP 1000 can be had less than $200 or if you are willing about $300 for the 12" version. the DPS i believe is also pretty good but might be out of your price range. maybe used? search audiogon.com also. they have a much better selection than ebay.

nightwish
Unregistered guest
thanks for the help!The PDR 10 Paradigm I auditioned about 4 years ago and chose the def tech 8" I currently have over it.I really want to go with a larger a sub in the 12" range,but that svs is tempting me.I was able to rattle everything in my apartment big time,and got a lot of complaints with the def tech,but it just wont give me that experince in my new house.I need to rattle walls!I need more low end extension.I will probably use my currernt sub on my center channel or run it 50-100hz and let the new sub take the low octaves.My bf knows many carpenters and we have a ready supply of 3/4" pine.Would I be better off buying a 250rms into 4ohms plate amp and a car audio driver or an adire shiva and having a box built?My def tech has a 250 rms amp too so I could use that to power a larger sub I suppose,but I really want to keep it as a center sub or for my bedroom.Size isn't really a constraint as my bf doesn't care what I do,he leaves the electroics up to me.What do I do????????????

edster922
Unregistered guest
I've read that the Velodyne VPR1000 is signficantly lesser quality than their other subs hence the significantly lower price.

My vote would go for the JBL e250, check prices at jandr.com should be around $200-250 shipped.

mauimusicman
Unregistered guest
partsexpress.com
Cheap do it yourself sub. prepare to be impressed. Personally, i'm not a sub guy( too hard to integrate properly and all the phase issues), but the Dayton sub gets great reviews. Cheap too.

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
the newer PDR series are vastly improved. trust me on that one. The dayton sub on parts express in great for jazz music, where accuracy is a MUST.

edster922
Unregistered guest
actually for a small room the entry level Hsu sub goes for $300 I think, look at ascendacoustics.com they carry them or Hsu probably has their own direct site.

nightwish
Unregistered guest
What about buying a 250rms plate amp from partsexpress,and powering 2 MB Quart 12's in a sealed box with it?The subs are rated for 175 rms each so they'd probably sound ok with 125 each.Would this go louder than say the jbl or the 12" dayton series 2 in a ported box with the same amp?

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
if you power 2 subs with 1 amp, make sure it can handle the current draw because it will change the impedence the subs present to the amp. If the amp can not cope with this, you will fry it.

nightwish
Unregistered guest
the amp is 250 rms @4ohms.The subs are 4ohm dvc.With a series/parallel configuration I could get a 4ohm mono load,right?

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 180
parallel runs a 2 ohm load, series runs an 8 ohm load

Buckeyefan
Unregistered guest
I ordered an XSUB12 from Cadence at www.ubid.com. I'll let you all know how it sounds. If it's junk, I'll give it to my brother and get an HSU or SVS. Some guy on ebay sells them and there's nothing but excellent reviews on them. For $189 bucks, I'll be the judge of that. It's underkill for my system. I have a Denon 3805 and a full Polk 7.1 setup with RTi10's, CSi, and FXi's.

Buckeyefan
Unregistered guest
Got it today. Grill was messed up from the factory, but the box and wood was perfect. Plugged it in and noticed a "hum". No hum from my existing sub. Called ubid and told them. They said they'll contact the mfg. and send out another one right away. Anyhow, other than the hum, I hooked it up to see what it sounded like. Man, it's powerful and very tight. Since it's new, it will need to break in. It blows my 10" sub away. It quickly rattled everything in my familyroom and had quite a ways to go with the bass and volume setting. It also has a phase control and hz setting, which I took down all the way since it provides so much bass. I am thinking a SVS or HSU will be way too much bass based on this cheap $189 unit.

TarHeelFan
Unregistered guest
Hey Buckeyefan,
I got my Cadence XSub12 yesterday. I've been watching this thread to read your review and I am glad that your review was a positive one. I haven't had a chance to try mine out yet. One note about the humming. Did you see the special note that came with sub and the special adapter plug? The plug is supposed to eliminate the humming. Try it out and let us know if it worked.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us