Sony Speakers

cholan
Unregistered guest
In the process of building a Home theatre, I have bought Denon 1604 model 6.1 - 75W RMS/channel.

Sony has set of speakers CR350H center+2 rear -85$ Floor standing-SS-MF550H or MF650H Subwoofer-SA-WM500. Do you think this set of speakers are good in quality for the price and go with Denon AV reciever? Is it worth buying these? Please advice

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 456
Plan to spend more on speakers than you do an a receiver. Doing the reverse doesn't make much sense.

Bronze Member
Username: Jet2001

Post Number: 46
I am a Sony fan. That being said, I wouldn't buy their speakers. There are many other companies who make much better speakers for the money.

I am a Polk Audio fan, others quality speakers are made by: Paradigm, Klipsch, Ascends, Athena, JBL, Cerwin Vega...just a few off the top of my head who I think make better speakers than Sony. Shop around and demo different models in your price range, then make a descision on what sounds best to you.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2995
Stay away from the Sony speakers. If you are on a tight budget, try out the offering from Fluance.

http://www.fluance.com/fluan5speaks.html

Bronze Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 67
Honestly, Anybody who puts Cerwin Vega and Paradigm in the same category, clearly needs to do an ABX test of the two, IMHO. Paradigms, Klipsch, and B&W are some of the most common hifi speakers that you'll find out there. If you want to chance buying speakers online, check out axiom, fluance, or aperion.

remember, spend more on speakers than on your receiver, since the speakers determine about 80% of what you hear.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 352
cholan,

if you're buying bookshelves, budget at least $200-400 for the front L/R. For the center, $200-300...this is the most important speaker for HT really, so don't go cheap here. Make sure all 3 L/C/R are the same brand.

For the rears and surrounds you can go cheap if it's mainly HT you're doing, I'd say about $100/pair.

The subwoofer is important, if you're on a really tight budget get the Dayton 10" subwoofer from partsexpress.com ($145 shipped) but if you can spend more then budget at least $300-400 for an SVS or Hsu subwoofer.

The best bang for your buck is clearly on-line manufacturer direct speakers, in addition to the brands that Cyrus listed I'd also add Ascend Acoustics, they have the largest and most uniformly glowing paper trail of glowing reviews of all those online brands. The Fluance will be the cheapest though. Aperion is nice in that they'll pay for return shipping if you don't like their stuff.

Bronze Member
Username: Jet2001

Post Number: 48
"Honestly, Anybody who puts Cerwin Vega and Paradigm in the same category, clearly needs to do an ABX test of the two, IMHO"

Apparently someone didn't finish reading the post before he was offended by me putting Cerwin's in the mix with Paradigm. Had he taken the time to read, without his own bias, he would have read, "just a few off the top of my head who I think make better speakers than Sony."

Furthermore, this person is looking at Sony speakers, therefore I could speculate what pricerange he was looking at. B&W are way beyond the price of the Sony's and Paradigm are not that close either. That is why I offered the suggestion of brand names like Cerwin Vega, Klipsch, and JBL...names that you can buy within the same range as the Sony's.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 814
Interesting note....

I was listening to a 'botique' setup recently running weak fronts/center combos that I wouldnt touch with Edsters 10-ft pole, but they anchored the system with a killer $2,000 sub that was very impressive. If anything, it made the entire system in spite of the sissy and anemic fronts, and center.

The killer sub effects make you more forgiving of the wimpy garbage comprising the rest of the system.

Silver Member

Post Number: 353
Paul, do you ever get tired of being a troll?

Bronze Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 68
Jet, I know that B&W's cost way more than Sony's, but I assumed, that since our friend Cholan spent money on a decent receiver like the Denon, that he would want the best sound possible, and CV's sound about as good as my dog belching (no offense, paul, that's just IMHO!). Klipsch and JBL are decent, but B&W's and paradigms are really gonna make His setup sing.

and remember the audiophile saying, "you get what you pay for!!!"

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 197
did you ever think that maybe being a troll might be his whole purpose?

I have found numerous posts of mine deleted, wonder who managed that one. Maybe it is because I had a valid point.

Silver Member

Post Number: 356
>I have found numerous posts of mine deleted, wonder who managed that one.

WHOA!!! Are you serious? Even I haven't had that happen.

Bronze Member
Username: Mauimusicman

Post Number: 36
I dont believe I have had any of mine deleted either :-)

I could be wrong though.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 815
I've never had any deleted.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 198
hmmm...

thanks for clearing that up paul. I wonder why they were deleted then, because I always post within guidelines. I will keep an eye out for when and if it happens again.

my guess is that the whole thread was removed, because I posted on it thursday or friday, and I can't seem to find it. I have been looking for a while
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us