Choosing the best DVD Audio / SACD player for stereo

Username: Johnnyd

Post Number: 1
Fellow Members,
Many years ago, I owned a Marantz solid state quad amp and had many Quad Lp's. That format did not make it. I eventually discovered the wonderful world of vacuum tubes and I upgraded to a "Tube Amp". I had a custom made tube amplifier made by Peter Mcalister of Mcalister audio. Once you listen to " non fatiguing even harmonics from tube technology" you will never, and I mean never go back to solid state- It is night and day. Ladies and gentleman, I am only interested in two simple tube channels here. Solid state just don't make it in 5.1 or 25.1
On that note, I would like to take advantage of the DVD SACD technology, and I am looking for recomendations for a player between 300 and 1000 dollars. It's great to have this board available and get information from the people that actually use this equipment. Thank-you for your help.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 197
As a tube afficiando try the Shanling range. Google it. But you may need to go over the $1000 budget.

BTW - your take on Solid state 5.1 is a matter of opinion.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2690
Denon DVD2910. Versatile and sounds very nice. Not a good CD player but a good SACD and DVD-A player.

Silver Member
Username: Shokhead

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 143
Yamaha C950

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 200
I misread the original post. For DVD-A and SACD I would recommend the Denon range from the 2910 up and the Marantz range from the 7600 up.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for that information guys. It's not that I don't like the 5.1 system, but in general, I find the even order harmonics of tubes provide less fatigue than the uneven order harmonics of solid state.

In regards to DVD Audio and SACD, I am hearing that I should not buy for six to nine months as Sony's Blue Lazer will be where all the dust settles.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2693
Don't count on it. Toshiba's HD-DVD is putting up a fierce battle.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 205
I believe I read a company has developed a processor or system to handle both Blu-ray and HD-DVD. I think it will be quite a while before good music titles are released on these formats as concentration seems to be on the movie industry at present. Two formats - once again forward thinking is going backwards.

Post Number: 3
My understanding, is that Blu-ray will rule, and the manufacturers will temporarily encompass all the other formats, but eventually the rest will be high and dry....sort of like the old 8 track of the 70's.... Art, for the consumer sake, it would be nice if your right, but my information is coming from the guy that designed my amp and is attending the current trade shows, and is more well informed than what we can find on the net, is telling me otherwise

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2694
Like I said don't count on it. My information doesn't come from the net. It may not any more accurate than if it did just as your guys may not be. I know alot of folks in the industry and they just aren't sure yet who's gonna come out on top. Last I read the music/movie server using neither format will likely be the vehicle for HD movies and music sooner than we think.

Silver Member
Username: Shokhead

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 147
None of this stuff matters to joe blow that walks into bb to get a couple of cd's. He could care less about DTS<DVD-A,SACD,HD<Blue Ray,none of that. Now the one that might catch on could be DualDisc because no special equipment. Me,i happy as could be with DVD-A for the DTS and SACD.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 795
Unless one has crappy solid state equipment, one shouldn't hear any audible distortion from the receiver, amp, pre-amp, or dvd player. Your speakers, your hearing, the quality of the recording or broadcast, and the room acoustics govern almost all of what you hear. One may prefer the added harmonics or other added or subtracted characteristics from certain tube devices, but that is an additional flavor, not a weakness from good solid state equipment.

If one has a significant DVD-A and SACD collection it pays to have a universal player--such a the Denon 3910. No one knows what will be released musically on HD or Blu-Ray. Maybe the pow2ers that be will re-release the DVD-A's and SACD's in HD or Blu-Ray format--and maybe they won't. Then again if you are happy with your cd collection and playback I would wait to see what shakes out in the HD format war before committing to a purchase decision.

I have 2 universal players, but the quality of the DVD-A's and SACD's I have varies greatly. If I didn't have any multi-channel discs now I would undoubtedly wait to see what direction Hi-Rez music takes and what is required for playback.

Post Number: 4
Gregory, I cannot argue your distortion point- All I can tell you, is that after a few hours of listening, my wife no longer asks me to turn off "the damn stereo". Her reaction to the tube sound has been very surprising to me. I mean for more than 20 years with a high current Marantz solid state reciever, she has been asking me to "cut it" after two or three hours.... and now, all she asks is to put something more on......I could never go back to solid state with that kind of warm reality review

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 797
I don't argue with your wife's preference on your system. If both of you prefer the sound of tube amplification with your speakers--great. Some people prefer the same recording on LP over CD. Certain systems may sound better with tubes than solid state and vice versa. It is like different tastes in food. Some like Tex-Mex--some don't.

Post Number: 5
I would say your bang on with that analogy, and it's funny you would use that one. A good direct to disc LP just can't be beat!......... In my
opinion, of course....
I sure appreciate the information and the
opinions- This is a great forum.

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1095
Y'all "might" be interested in my post on the "Old Dogs" thread - or not. . .

I get my info from friend Vern out in LA - he's a recording engineer.

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Post Number: 6
Thanks Larry, I see the "Old Dogs" thread is a good long one and I will take to reading it.... if..."You know what I mean Vern"

Bronze Member
Username: Mnr3

Post Number: 17
wanted to bump this thread, since it seems that the question of universal players in the given price rang was not explored too much; so, sticking with solid state players, I've seen recently pretty competitive prices for the nad T-532, the denon 2910, both available refurb for about 350; what else would be competitive/better at this price point or up to $600? thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Mnr3

Post Number: 18
oh, should add that I'm looking for best red book cd play as well from non-dedicated cd player (or might it be best to get a good cheap dedicated player--does such a thing exist?!)

Bronze Member
Username: Hieu_phan

Post Number: 18
I intend to audition Denon 1500AE and Marantz SA8400. Does anyone have experience about these two. I'm currently owning a good CD player and don't care much about the CD playback quality. Just SACD quality. Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us