Please help to find a speaker

Username: Terminator

Post Number: 1
I just moved to a new home and looking to start my first entry evel sound system. However, I have some big challenges due to the configuration of my family room. Its a mid-large size room with opening to the kitchen. The problem is the built in entertainment center with no place to floor standing speakers or a sub.

The only place I can place my speakers are at the top with only 10" high and 40" wide. I am looking at bookshelf speakers that can be laid on its side;

B&W DM 602
PSB Image 2b
Paradigm Monitor Mini
Axiom M3TiSe

Can someone tell me which of these speakers are best for my situation? I am thinking about NAD T-753 for AV.

Thanks in advance

Username: Sssand2

Post Number: 3
James,
You might also try the Ascend CBM-170. They have a center channel version which I understand is no different than the l/r version except for the logo and the stickers on the back. I am currently auditioning these with the Axiom 3TiSe using an NAD T742 in a large basement greatroom. Both seem to be very nice speakers.

Post Number: 2
Thanks newbie, how you like your NAD T742? Are they powerful enough for a large room?

I'll check out As Ascend speakers...thanks

Post Number: 3
I also saw used Vienna Haydn for a great price....what do you think about Vienna speakers?

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 191
James:

1. Vienna Acoustics speakers are awesome but very pricey.

2. I have an excellent solution, however, for your needs. I have recommended this system to two other people who had the same problem you have, and they were thrilled with the results. Get the NAD 753 receiver and also get some NHT M-5 speakers for your fronts. Now the cool thing about the NHTs, besides their incredible detail and excellent match with the NAD receiver, is they have a special circuit called a "boundary switch." This is a switch that you throw when the speaker are placed near a hard surface (wall, shelf, entertainment center, etc.) and it tailors the frequency response to account for the hard reflective surface the speaker is placed near or on. Very well received by several publications, too. I have priced them at several places for $350 per speaker (MSRP is $500 each), and one place for $325 each, so they are in the ball park. Here is the link to the description on the NHT website:

http://www.nhthifi.com/2004/products/product_detail.asp?ProductLineID=2&ProductI D=40

Look at the picture there and you will see they are installed exactly the way you need speakers to be installed.

Good luck!

Post Number: 5
Thanks Hawk for your suggestion. I'll try to go see these M-5s at Anderson TV this weekend.

Someone offered me $525/pair for Vienna Haydn...which is better?

Username: Lawcpt

Post Number: 2
That's a great price for the Haydns. I have to admit that I have not heard the NHTs, but I love the sound of the Vienna Haydns. I am using them for HT. I like a smooth/warmer sound and got them to play both movies and music. If you like more edge and punch to your speakers the Viennas might not be for you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us