Speakers for Marantz 5300

David Keys
Unregistered guest
I have a Marantz 5300 and need a pair of stereo speakers, approx $600-700 range. Any suggestions?

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 236
David:

Floorstanders: Athena Audition AS-F2s. See a description here:

http://audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ATHASF2&product_name=Auditio n%20AS-F2%20Tower%20Speakers%20-%20Pair

For a bookshelf/standmount, I would recommend the Canton Ergo 200, described and available here:

http://accessories4less.com/Amazing/itemdesc.asp?CartId=11493-EVEREST-630ZDZZD15 &ic=CANT%2DERGO200%2FBE&cc=&tpc=

Anonymous

Are Paradigm Mini Monitors for mains and Atoms or Micros for surround a BAD idea for a Marantz 5300? Seems as though the consensus is that these Paradigms are great, but is this a TOO laid back combo? I would love to do it, but doubt I can hear them together.

Anonymous

What are the highest quality speakers this receiver will drive on its own anyway?

Silver Member

Post Number: 239
Anon:

Whether the Paradigms are a good fit is, IMO, a matter of personal taste. I think it is just a tad too laid back, but you may like it. Certainly, the Paradigms are excellent speakers and the Marantz is a very good receiver. When I give a response like I did above, it is a quick shot at the best match I can think of, but it may not be the best match for the listener. I understand you may not be able to hear them together--I can't either as my Paradigm dealer does not carry Marantz and I can only extrapolate based upon what I hear at different dealers. I am giving my best shot at the best speaker match, but that does not mean the Paradigms would be a bad choice for some people (we all hear these things differently). The only thing I can recommend is that if you have the Marantz receiver, take it in to your Paradigm dealer when they aren't busy and have them plug the Marantz into their board to audition the Paradigms you are interested in. I have done this and have found most dealers to be very understanding and willing.

I don't know what you mean by the "highest quality speakers this receiver will drive on its own . . .?" IMO, the Athenas and the Cantons are very high quality speakers. Canton is the largest German speaker maker and Athena is made by API, one of the largest, if not the largest, of the Canadian speaker firms (also makes the Energy and Mirage speaker lines). I have also endorsed the Marantz receiver with B+W 603S3s, which go for $1K a pair. The Marantz is a very nice receiver, with good sound and decent power, so I am struggling to understand your question. I think the only limitations on the Marantz receiver is two fold:

1. Don't use it with low impedence (4 ohm) speakers; and,
2. Must have speakers with at least moderate sensitivity (>87 db)--this of course is a function of room size, too.

I hope this helps!

Ed Ng
Unregistered guest
Help Hawk............what receiver would you recommend for a nice set of Energy speakers? I am willing to spend about $1000cdn. I am considering these models:

marantz sr7300
denon 1804
onkyo TXSR701

What do you think? Thanks, Ed

Greg C
Unregistered guest
i would suggest the Onkyo.I using an Integra DTR 5.3 with my Energys.Sounds great

Bronze Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 70
How about Phase Technology speakers. Check out this thread:

www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=353531&perpage=20&pagenumber= 1

Silver Member

Post Number: 302
Ed:

I like the Marantz, myself. I think the Marantz 7300 is one of the truly great sounding receivers for under $1K and a very good match for the Energy speakers, IMHO.

Good luck!

Ed Ng
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the advice guys. The only thing is that I can get a THX certified Onkyo for about $150 cdn more. Is this worth the the money?

Please advise.

Bronze Member
Username: Johnny

Post Number: 96
Ed,

Do not buy a receiver just for the THX certification...any more, it really doesn't mean all that much for most people. If you like the sound of the Onkyo better than all others, then by all means go for it, but don't buy simply for the THX. I know of many, many receivers that are not THX certified that sound absolutely wonderful (and many that are certified that don't sound too good). Just because a receiver does NOT have THX does not mean that it is somehow subpar...rather it means that the company did not want to feed George Lucas' wallet just to have some logo on the front of the receiver. Just my opinion.

Bronze Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Post Number: 28
It seems to me that the Denon 1804 isn't in the same price range as the others, right? You might consider harman/kardon as well, either the AVR-230 or last year's AVR-325. (Okay, this is the last time I'll say it! :-)

I would also try to not be swayed by the cool THX logo. You are paying for that logo! And it's not as if all good receivers had it anyway. I agree with Johnny.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 225
The only benefit of a THX receiver is that it has cinema eq and timbre matching which I would not want to be without. Otherwise it means nothing. Lots of non THX units have those two included anyway.

Silver Member

Post Number: 314
Ed:

I am very critical of THX certification on this forum. I see THX certified receivers, such as the Onkyo 900, which is rated at 125 wpc, but when bench tested, it was only capable of 54 wpc. Not only that, the sound is very polite and boring, IMO. If a receiver is unable to get within 10-15% of its rated power, look elsewhere as it simply isn't competitive. A THX logo simply means they receiver manufacturer spent the money on the logo at the expense or quality parts, in my experience.

However, for once I have to disagree with my friend elitefan about Cinema equalization. My position is best described by a quote from The Perfect Vision on this subject which said: "Cinema EQ is a pallative at best. With the exceptional audio quality from the latest DVD remasterings, the right answer is not to EQ but rather to find a tonally accurate center channel and clean amplification."

Skip the THX certification, especially of it is on an Onkyo!

Ed
Unregistered guest
Thanks a lot guys I truly appreciate all the fantastic feedback. After reading all your advice and doing a bit of research myself, I have decided to keep the Marantz. I had it installed along with my new energy connisseur speakers a few days ago and it sounds GREAT!! For the price, I don't think any system could sound any better. The highs are exceptional and the lows are very "discrete".....meaning I can really feel the bass when it's intended to be felt. ie explosions

Thanks again.

Ed
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us