Paradigm Studo 40 v2 vs 40 v3

Username: Wolfson

Post Number: 9
Hello all,

Looking to get some opinions on the 40 v2 vs 40 v3 Studio series from Paradigm. Im strictly looking for input on music reproduction. HT is easy to reproduce well and I know the Studios do this incredibly well.

I currently own the 40 v2's and feel they have a much higher standard of build. Especially in the cabinet design. The drivers seem to be on par with the v2 however the tweeter seems more laid back in the v3. Now here is where things get interesting. The v3's sounded better when using lower end elctronics than the v2's did. However when we took them into the reference room and hooked things up to some serious gear the 40v2's smoked the 40v3's. When opened up the v3's became very boxy sounding and lacked impact. The mids seemed unfocused and highs where not nearly as smooth and resolved. With the v2's the exact opposite happend. Music had much greater impact with a more resolved and three dimesional midrange and high end.
Amplification was a pair of Parasound JC1 mono blocks with an Audio Reserch pre amp. Me and the dealer both came to the same conclusion. The Studio 40v2's like better equipment more so than the new series and wont really shine unless they have it. However the 40v3's seemed better suited to receivers and lower end gear. Some could say my ears are more used to the v2's but these differences where quite pronounced when reference gear was used.
Anyone here have any similar experiences with the Paradigms.

Wolf

mauimusicman
Unregistered guest
My thoughts: Generally, in manufacturing, once you design a product you generally look for ways to manufacture it cheaper, thus increasing profits. Does that help?

Silver Member
Username: Cornelius

Post Number: 106
I've heard others prefer the V2s also. Paradigm is a big machine with a lot of overhead.

Post Number: 10
I think that is what has happend here. Being the Studio series is not there top speaker line anymore it looks like they have cut some corners in build quality and finish which has effected sound quality. They look nice but the v2's with the real wood look more elegant. IMO. I will be having an in depth session with Signature series in the near future and from what I understand these are on a completely different level to the Studios. Looking forward to this. The S2 especially.

Wolf

Bronze Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 64
I used to own the Studio 40v2's and must respectfully disagree. Having auditioned the v3's as I have friends who own the Paradigm stores in both Eugene and Corvallis, Oregon(different folks at different stores) I feel that they are better in every way than their predecessor. Cabinet (rap on the sides), binding posts, drivers, crossovers, and finally the sound. Once broken in the v3's are clearly superior to the v2.

Bronze Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 65
Oh and I forgot to mention, if you have not auditioned the Signature Series you will be in for a treat as they sound unbeliveable. The S2 is what a small monitor should be. I think you will enjoy them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thanks for the input Arthur. I still like the v2's even when I spent some more time with v3's before I heard the S2's and still come away with the same conclusions. I think it comes down to the cabinet. Theres something about the new cabinet that seems to make them sound boxy. At least to my ears. One other thing to note is the v2's series with the real wood panel upgrade did improve the sound a good bit. Especially with cabinet resonance. Most people didnt get this upgrade due to cost. I did finally sitdown with the Paradigm Signature S2's and was FINALLY IMPRESSED with a speaker. Heard these using the same JC1 mono blocks. Source was a Denon 5900 Universal Player.

The S2's take everything about my 40's and improves them in a BIG WAY. Especially midrange transparency. Man did this area improve on the S2's. There is a big however. I have been instructed to come back in 2 weeks to audition the Revel M22. Apprently this speaker has been turning heads and must be heard. Prices are equal. Anyone heard the Revel's yet ?

Wolf

Bronze Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 74
I have not heard the Revels but I have been hearing good things as well. Enjoy the music.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us