Budget receiver advice

Username: Driftkop

Post Number: 1
Hi,

Our NAD 705 has died (the standby light still works, but the display is out, and there is no sound), so I am looking around to replace it. I am not looking for a surround system, just a simple good sounding receiver. Any suggestions under $400?

thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 52
You will not find a new receiver for under $400 that will sound as good as the NAD. Marantz makes a fine receiver for about that price but an NAD it ain't. Have you considered an integrated amp. NAD makes a great integrated in your price range. If you must have FM you can get a used tuner or wait and buy the matching NAD.

edster922
Unregistered guest
HK 3480, $300 shipped from jandr.com if you want 2-channel plus sub preout, or

Pioneer 1014, $350-400 for THX surround.

Bronze Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 53
Like I said, there are no receivers under $400 that can match the sound of your NAD. The closest that I can find is the Marantz SR4320 at $429. It's a very nice receiver, but again, it ain't an NAD. Good luck.

edster922
Unregistered guest
> Like I said, there are no receivers under $400 that can match the sound of your NAD.

I agree. However he never said that was what he wanted, otherwise I doubt he wouldn't have started with such a low number.

I'd definitely consider both the 3480 and 1014 what he described as "just a good sounding receiver."

Post Number: 2
Thanks fro the replies so far. Indeed, I am not necessarily looking to replace the quality of the 705. I might be able though to spend a little bit more, maybe $500-600. Would that give me much more possibilities to choose from? One thing that I liked about the NAD (besides the sound) is that is looks very simple, no frills and unneeded controls. The HK 3480 is pretty much the opposite of that ;-)

- Koen.

Bronze Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 54
The new NAD C720BEE. Suggested retail $599.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 204
you should try marantz out. i dont know how many you will find with simple fronts. i personally would look on ebay for seperates. you could porbably get a good set for the $500-$600 range. actually, heres the exact same reciever on ebay for about $300
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3279%26item%3D5760367266% 26%26

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the ebay link. Interestingly, I saw the remark (in big font) saying "TUNER DISPLAY LIGHTS REPLACED IN FEBRUARY '05". And this is repeated in the description, so it is apparently a known problem.issue. The lights on our 705 are also not working. Anyone knows if this could be related to the receiver not working at all? If so, I might be able to bring it in for repair.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us