Need a recommendation....

Username: Inti

Post Number: 1
Let me start with the notion that I don't know diddly squat about speakers and home audio systems. Currently, my system includes a Sharp Aquos flat screen LCD TV, a Yamaha RX-V850 receiver, a Yamaha CDC-625 CD changer, as well as a Panasonic DVD/VHS combo player.

Last month I moved and sold my long-time Infinity speaker system to a friend, in order to save on the cross country moving expense. Now I am in the market for some new speakers, hence my request for recommendations.

Some things to consider. I predominately listen to CD music, but also play that occassional DVD (I like Bollywood films). My new apartment is very small and not really well situated for the full surround sound experience at this time (5 speaker setup), mostly due to cross room wiring issues and sensitive neighbors.

What I would like to do is buy a couple of front speakers, maybe with a subwoofer, use the LCD TV's front speakers as a center, and maybe look into some sort of wireless solution for the back. If that sounds crazy, I would settle for just a couple of good front speakers, which would serve as a good system base when I build my new house in the next year or two.

I must buy a new computer this year, so my available funds are minimal, i.e. I am towards the lower end of the cost spectrum ($200-500). Later, when I have money, I am willing to spend more.

In advance, thank you for your assistance and suggestions.

cheers!

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 257
Why not hit the retail circuit and listen to whats available?? Simply buy the best sounding pair within your budget. Easy, eh?

If you're worried about loudness and neighbors, I'd highly recommend X'ing the Sub. Save that for when you buy a house, or dont have neighbors cohabitating on the other side of a thin wall.

Username: Jet2001

Post Number: 4
Paul gives good advice. $200-500 will have a wide range of speakers...go out and see which ones you like.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us