Pair with paradigm

Anonymous

Im looking for a receiver to pair with paradigm speakers. Im going to get the paradigm on wall monitor 5's, with the center channel, and the mini monitors for rears. this is for the good ol love shack bedroom ;). I was looking around and found that a rotel would be a great pair, thing is, i dont want to pay 1200bux for a receiver for the bedroom. Is there any other receiver that will be paird great with the paradigms ive chosen? as for budget lets keep it under... well i have no clue, just not 1200bux lol. anything you guys recommend?

Anonymous

actually, ive decided would it be better to run with amplifiers like the outlaw Mblock ? get like 5 of em for eatch speaker. would this be better? i wonder how i would plug all this stuff in lol.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 373
Quality monoblocks will be much more expensive than a receiver.

NAD 753/763/773
Denon 1905/2805
Yamaha 1500/2500

The above would match well with the Paradigms.

Anonymous

Yeah lol just looked and to my suprise they are pretty expensive.. but do you think i should spring for a good monoblock? i was looking at the outlaw audio 755 5-channel amplifier. if i went that route, what receiver would i need to get?

Username: Josh422

Post Number: 3
does anyone know if British speakers can be used with american receivers?

Silver Member

Post Number: 374
Josh Glossop - Absolutely, just check the impedence of the speaker to make sure the receiver can handle it. Only thing to be careful of is using receivers spec'd for 120V in a 240V socket or vise versa.

Anon - Monoblock refers to a power amplifier that amplifies for one channel only. A stereo power amp amplifies to 2 channels. Power amplifier refers an amplifier for any number of channels. Receivers tned to be less expensive than sperates, but the quality of seperates usually reflects the price. The Outlaw 755 is an excellent power amp, but make sure you listen to NAD's pre/pro selections before buying. While NAD is rather new to the receiver market, their pre-amplifier and power amplifiers are hard to beat for the price.

If you go with the outlaw 755 power amp or any other power amp, you can either use a receiver as the pre-amp, provided it has all the pre-outs for all the channels the power amp will amplify for. The better option is a pre-amplifier, while just as expensive or more expensive than a receiver, pre-amps usually offer better components such as DACs, DSPs and equalizers.

The Outlaw Audio 950 is an excellent pre-amp for the price of $700 shipped.

Anonymous

hey kano i was just looking at that outlaw audio 950. Heres what im thinking of doing.

picking up the 950, then getting the 755 5-channel. Run them with pardigm on wall monitor 5's and do you think i should go with the on wall mini monitors or the on wall monitor 5's for the rears? im also gonna get the onwall center channel. do you think that would be a nice setup? remember this is for the ol bedroom.

i have no way of listening to the NAD. Or the Outlaw Audio for that matter. im just goin on instinct here. so what do you think? any more options?

Silver Member

Post Number: 375
Problem is there's always too many options. Personal preference says NAD if music is your main focus. As far as the speaker selection, there's too many variables to give you an answer. Both the mini-monitors and monitor 5s are excellent speakers, it depends on the shape of the room and what you're looking for. Obviously buying 5 monitor 5s would be the best set-up, but you're already looking at the on-wall centre channel. While having full range speakers for surrounds is great, most recordings make little use of the surrounds, and the cost/benefit may not be worth it.

Anonymous

It will be with both. Music and HT. The shape of my foom is square. and im looking for great sound quality for HT and music. You said something about buying 5 monitor 5's would be the best bet.. what do you mean? haveing 5 of them, what setup would that be? and they come in pairs so 1 speaker would be left out? Explain on this matter please. so hmm ok, i will take your exact word for it, do i get the monitor 5 for surrounds, or mini monitors? you chose and i will get.

Silver Member

Post Number: 377
With 5 monitor 5s you will reach THX's guidepoint of having the same speaker set all the way around. In addition you will have 5 full range speakers.

Usually budget and space restraints force buying a centre channel which can lay on top of the TV, or on a shelf below the TV. Since the speaker should be centred as close to the centre of the screen as possible, and at ear level, most the time it would be behind the TV and not able to image. In the case of a projector screen it can be placed behind the screen and this is more of a viable option.

For the surrounds, having a full range signal is an advantage, as well as exact timbre matching to the fronts. On the other hand most recordings rarely send a full range signal to the surrounds, and placing them may be impossible in your room setup.

Anonymous

ok, so you think i should buy 3 pairs of monitor 5's? thad be no problem.. Just what do i do with the other left over one? use it as a 6th channel.. well i couldnt do that cuz of the outlaw amp.. hmmm.. if its a monitor 5 onwall, then i can place it wehre the center channel should be and at ear level.. so that would work. what do u think kano?

Silver Member

Post Number: 378
If you've got the room, monitor 5s all around would be a wicked system. You should be able to buy one speaker from Paradigm or somewhere else.

Anonymous

yeah i got the room, i could plant the 5th monitor 5 where the center would be. Actually what if i did this.. If i sprang and got the bigger amp with the 6channels and got a another pair of the monitor 5's. so id have 3 pairs of the monitor 5's the 5th monitor 5 where the center would be, and the 6th monitor 5 where the rear center would be.. how does that sound? You think it would be worth it to spring for the 3rd pair, and the bigger amp? thanx man.

Silver Member

Post Number: 380
Depends on if your room layout would benefit from the 6th channel.

Anonymous

thinking about no it wouldnt. so ill stick with what we were going with before. i was also looking at the outlaw audio subwoofer.. that looks pretty good. what do you think? it was designed by the dr. HSU guy. take a look.

Silver Member

Post Number: 381
Great subwoofer, I'd recommend the SVS PB10-ISD though, for $400 shipped it's hard to beat.

Anonymous

that subwoofer from outlaw audio grabbed my attention with the.."dont shake the floor, shake the ground" So what your saying is that the SVS PB120-ISD is better? if so, then ill glady pick that up.

Silver Member

Post Number: 383
The SVS plays lower and has the same amp in it. The SVS drivers are hard to beat. Also I recommend a 10" sub, since it's a bed room set-up... the outlaw may be better suited to a larger room.

The Outlaw is probably more attractive, but the SVS is the better performer IMO.

Anonymous

ok so i should get the SVS PB10-ISD instead of the outlaw audio one? i was pulled in by the catchy headline lol. "dont shake the floor, shake the ground" plus the things it said about it were inviteing.. if you think the SVS you mentions is better ill gladly pick that up.. and is that US price?

Silver Member

Post Number: 385
That's the US price, the outlaw is $569 US.

I'm not going to say one's better, but for the price it's a very strong performer. It's definitely enough sub for any small to mid sized room, but I don't know what your listening preference is. You might prefer something bigger or smaller.

If you want to shake the ground, check this sub out, it might shake the ground while you're on the 3rd floor.

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pcplus_20-39.htm

Also the PB12-ISD

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb12_isd.htm

Bronze Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 16
I own the Paradigm Monitor 5's with Mini's rear and the CC370 center and I use the Paradigm PW2100 subwoofer with this system. It's a "Perfect Vision" recommended sub. Below is what I wrote to another individual who is looking for the right AVR. You can always start with a new Marantz SR5500 and then later add inexpensive components to improve your 2 channel music. My system is very satisfying. Let me add that the Marantz sounded good before I upgraded and that is why the system integration is so good.

"My friend owns the local hifi store that sells NAD and Marantz (used to have Rotel and switched to NAD). I have solved the problem of quality 2 channel and home theater. First I must say that I like the sound of the NAD better than the Marantz but the hum is more than I can tolerate. I had a Rotel RSX965 for several years, it was easily the best sounding AVR I've ever heard much better than their subsequent efforts but the hum was horrible. I now have a Marantz SR5400. I have the pre outs going to my NAD C162 pre amps video in. The NAD C162 has 2 sets of pre outs one I use for the Hafler 9505 power amp that I have for my 2 channel and front home theater speakers and the other I use for my sub. I prefer using pre outs for sub instead of LFE as it sounds better. Just set your AVR to "no subwoofer" and it will do the rest. Now I have what I want, quality music sound and home theater processing. Oh and the integration is near seamless, these components work very well together".

Silver Member

Post Number: 386
Why buy a receiver if you plan on only using it as a pre amp in the near future? The Outlaw Audio 950 is an excellent performer that will compare to pre amps costing 2 or 3 times as much. The 950 has more crossover, and eq. options, and will pair with power amps better than a reciever will.

Anonymous

kano. i was intrigued with the shakeing of the ground, but i dont want anything to over power my listening space ya know? just tooo damn much bass that it covers all the speakers and pretty much is all you hear. or have a big sub that i have to turn it all the way down for it to not be so over powering, then thats just a waste. So would the subs that you posted links to over power what i decided to get? or fit nicely?

Im not gonna get an av receiver. ive decided to get the outlaw audio 950. so pretty much, im asking if the subs u mentioned would interfear with the listening of the whole system? thanx kano.

Silver Member

Post Number: 387
I think the SVS PB10-ISD would be prefect... not too much, not too little.

Bronze Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 19
Why buy a receiver? It depends on your systems primary use. The Outlaw pre/pro will not sound as good as an NAD pre. In fact that is the problem with pre/pro's it takes considerable expenditure to sound as good an inexpensive pre. So I only suggested the receiver as an inexpensive processor + power amp for 3 of your speakers. You get very good movie sound processing and excellent 2 channel performance for less than you will get perhaps slightly better movie performance and measurably worse music performance. The Outlaw pre/pro is not as good as the NAD or Rotel pre/pro's and they are not as good as their own pre's. Again, it just depends on what you want out of your system.

Anonymous

awesome ill pick up the SVS PB10-ISD!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 388
The pre/pro stands for Preamplifier and Processor combo with no power amplifier built into the unit. A straight pre would be used for volume and signal distribution, as with a 2 channel system, or really expensive home threatre (Krell), with a home theatre system you will need decoding software for the different formats available. A reciever has this built in, a pre does not. As you stated a straight pre will sound very good but you recommend using the "pre" from the reciever?
The NAD T163 or S170i will be a great unit ie:NAD pre/pro unit. That are very good but costs quite a bit more than the Outlaw. For the price of $2800.00 for the Rotel 1068/1075, you could buy the Outlaw 950/755, the mains, the sub and have enough to pay for flowers and dinner for the wife. You have to make up for the massive home theatre in the bedroom.

Anonymous

I think ill stick with the outlaw 950/755 for the bedroom.. lol afterall its just the bedroom!! kano would u recomend me getting the outlaw audio ICBM bass manegemant too? so i think im convinced and ready to buy the paradigms, outlaw audio, and SVS sub. Lol haha yeah no kidding eh, gonna have to treat the Gf to somethin nice after this one. Thanks kano for all your advice and help!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us