Looking to get a pair of Bookshelf speakers.

Ryan JJ
Unregistered guest
Hi, I am looking at buying a pair of Bookshelf speakers with a price range of $300-400.

I have a small square room (11x11) and would like to use them for music (I like Jazz, Heavy Metal and Piano but play all kinds) but I also love to play videogames. I usually have the volumn low, never cranked.

I don't know what sound I am exactly looking for nor do I know the terminology well. If it helps I have a pair of Grado SR60 headphones and I love the sound they produce.

I would prefer not to have to buy a sub if possible.

I havn't decided on a reciever yet but if I don't need any HT features will an integrated amp work best?

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 1430
I recently purchased a pair of B&W DM601 S3's - they are marvellous. For your small room they will provide great depth, accurate imaging and would not need hard work.

For your last question: for the same money, yes.

Bronze Member
Username: Stealth_c

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 89
The Paradigm Mini-Monitor is also something to look into at this price point.

Bronze Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 90
take a look at the paradigm focus as well. They have outstanding performance for the money.

Go with an integrated, they are better than a reciever in every possible way.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 164
http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/Ling.htm

Bronze Member

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 90
Tim, how would you compare your speaker performancewise to its established competition like the Mini-Monitor or the NHT SuperZero?

Bronze Member

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 91
One other thing, when you state "The patented Adire Audio XBL^2 designed motor.." and give a link to the Adire Audio website, it states that it is patent pending, not patented.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 166
"Tim, how would you compare your speaker performancewise to its established competition like the Mini-Monitor or the NHT SuperZero?"

The extremely flat BL and long throw of the woofer gives it the ability to play surprisingly stout bass while maintaining very good cone control through the mids. No other speaker that I know of in this price range can do this. It's also missing the typical mid-range XO dip common in small bookshelves.

"One other thing, when you state "The patented Adire Audio XBL^2 designed motor.." and give a link to the Adire Audio website, it states that it is patent pending, not patented."

Thank you. I've made the correction.

Bronze Member

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 92
Final question (maybe): Why from a business perspective are you making the Ling Single? If you are marketing largely to audiophiles, even those of us with budgets typically want a speaker that can reproduce the highs well. The +/-3dB is notably absent from its frequency response measurements, and there are no nice pretty graphs for potential customers to look at like there is for the Ling Bookshelf. Also, from a production standpoint I imagine it is more costly for you to produce two models instead of one.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 168
I recently set up a 6.1 system for a customer that the Ling Single worked perfectly for and saved him about $300. Not everyone misses the extreme highs, especially in HT surrounds. I keep a couple on hand just for those occasions. For serious surround sound listeners it's easy enough to use the Ling all the way around. Yes, there is no reponse graph. I should add that to the website. Thank you for your observations.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 169
In reviewing my response I thought it might be a little vague. The Ling Single was used for the surrounds and rear in the 6.1 system. The Ling was used for the front three.

Anonymous

I see the Ling uses a treated paper cone.
How are these for longevity?

Ryan JJ
Unregistered guest
I found a couple dealers where I can audition the B&W and Paradigm. What about the Ascend CBM-170, Axiom M3ti, or a NHT?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 170
"I see the Ling uses a treated paper cone.
How are these for longevity?"

Treated paper cones have been used for decades (still are) and last a very long time. I recently sold a pair of rebuilt SpeakerLab 7s (over 30 years old)with all the original drivers and they were in perfect condition. Longevity is not really a concern. Of course, anything that is abused will have a short life. Constant exposure to sunlight for example.

Bronze Member
Username: Tevo

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 48
Which NHT? The SuperAudio SB-series are really good bookshelf speakers but they are somewhat demanding to drive, especially the SB3.

If forgoing the subwoofer is a big consideration, the SB3's extend down to 39Hz +/-3dB. They can be had for ~ $500USD but find a dealer to listen if you can.

edster922
Unregistered guest
Ryan,

I'd go for the Ascend 170s but don't think you'll find really satisfying bass with ANY bookshelf speaker. However, since you say you never crank your music and you list jazz and piano among your top musical preferences, the Ascends would shine in delivering the mids which those two genres have so much of---they're remarkably accurate, clear and smooth sounding!

I'd get a sub anyway, even a cheap $200 JBL one can make a huge difference. And budget for a pair of quality speaker stands unless you're wall-mounting the bookshelves---proper elevation does incredible things for small speakers.

andy11111
Unregistered guest
I bought a pair of bookshelf speakers in this price range last weekend. I actually want to put them on a bookshelf and this caused problems since many "bookshelf" speakers have rear ports and are designed to sit on stands away from walls.

After listening to a several I went for KEF Q1s. I am still satisfied with the choice.

Bronze Member

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 93
Andy- An acoustic suspension speaker would solve that problem.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 173
True, although a small sealed box is going to have a tough time making any respectable bass without some help.
The Ling is designed for close wall placement.

Bronze Member

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 94
Personally I own the CSW Model Six which is an excellent implementation of an acoustic suspension speaker. The closer to the wall it gets, the better the punch the bass gets. The room makes a huge difference, but for me it goes down to a little under 50Hz, and on the SMR HT review they state it goes down to 40Hz with useable output at 32, which isnt bad at all for a speaker that now costs about 100 bucks.

andy11111
Unregistered guest
Yes. The KEF Q1s came with a bung for the port to tighten and reduce the bass when placed on a bookshelf against a wall. Their recognition that stand and bookshelf locations are different was a positive sign.

The non-rectangular shape for spreading cabinet resonances, use of stronger magnets in order to have concentric tweeter and bass for sharp imaging were also positive signs.

They also sounded cleanest of the others in the shop around the same price range.

Ryan JJ
Unregistered guest
I am liking the B&W 601 S3's. I was looking at the NAD C320BEE, and I guess I don't know much about integrated amps. Is there way for me to hook up RCA cables to one, or do I need a receiver if I wanted to play my cpu or videogames through my speakers?

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 52
Yes.

An integrated amp is simply a power amplifier + pre-amplifier integrated into a single box.

With the C320BEE, you'll have 5 line level inputs + 2 tape loops. Should be plenty for a 2-channel audio system.

Bronze Member
Username: Jim_mcbob

Post Number: 34
NHT SB1 is acoustic suspension design. I was kind of shocked at how good they sounded playing jazz vocals--especially considering that you can pick up a pair in the $225-250 range. Not the most efficient speaker on the shelf, definitely a bit low bass-deficient--but wonderful mid-bass and heart-stopping snare drum. All in all, a lovely-sounding, reasonably priced and attractive speaker.

The Ascend CBM-170 are, IMO however, the ne plus ultra in the sub $500 bookshelf category. Rear porting makes placement a teeny bit trickier than acoustic suspension (they work fine with Omnimounts; better still on decent stands).

Stealth: we'll just have to agree to disagree on CSW speakers. Ownership of CSW speakers has given me a low opinion of their products, but I concede that everything is subjective.

Ryan: RCA away, man. The difference between a receiver and an integrated amp is the presence of a radio tuner. I regularly hook the audio out from my computer to the back of my Reagan era vintage NAD 3155.

Username: Rushwj

Post Number: 8
The Paradigm Mini-Monitors are great! Wonderful speakers for that price range. A must hear.

Bronze Member

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 95
Jim Bob- No worries, as you say its all subjective.

Ryan JJ
Unregistered guest
Jim-Bob, I was reading one of your older posts that you were able to audition both the Axiom and Ascends with a NAD amp for just music use. What were your thoughts on these?

Ryan JJ
Unregistered guest
I listened to the B&W601 and they sounded like there were some problems at the very high end. My dealer did have them fairly loud though (louder than I would ever go). I am looking at the Monitor Audio B2, but their dealer locater is down at the moment. Which bookshelf speakers will have clear highs and play them without a hitch?

edster922
Unregistered guest
> Which bookshelf speakers will have clear highs and play them without a hitch?

The Ascends I have (340s) and my friend's (170s) excel at highs and mids, clear w/o being sharp, very accurate and neutral speakers.

If you don't like the B&W highs then I definitely wouldn't bother with Klipsch or Axiom.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 66
What kind of problems? Too harsh and forward in the treble?

Perhaps you may wish to listen to some speakers with fabric dome tweeters instead- Warfedales, Quads, etc.

Ryan JJ
Unregistered guest
"Too harsh and forward in the treble" is a good description for what I was feeling I think. I am going to try and find a place to listen to the MA B2. I'm not sure where I can go to listen to the Wharfedales, or buy them. Which model where you suggesting, the 9.1?

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 67
Perhaps the IAG websites for these brands can help you find a dealer:
http://www.iagamerica.com/

All three of Warfedale's product lines have models which received favorable press. Pick the one that fits in your budget and go listen.

Ryan JJ
Unregistered guest
Well I have spent some time calling and looking around. I am located in Madison, WI and the only dealers around here are B&W, Paradigm, and Dynaudio. I would like to listen to those Quads and Monitor Audios. I'm not exactly sure what to do in my situation. Chicago is the closest place with those speakers.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 78
Not having the local dealers to do your auditioning can complicate things.

You've got two choices:

-roadtrip!
-go with what you have locally

B&W, Paradigm and Dynaudio aren't exactly bottom of the barrel loudspeakers, if you catch my drift.

Truth be told, it is fairly hard to find a dog of a component these days. Especially with recognized brands that have a history of repeatedly building quality components.

You'll have to decide for yourself whether the time/expense of scooting everywhere is worth it.

If you need references to dealers in Chicago for a specific piece of kit in, drop me a note and I'll try to help ye out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us