Pioneer Elite VSX 53TX -- Defect or Intrinsic Bug?

Username: Leeyjin

Post Number: 1
After deliberating for some time between the Yamaha 2400 and Pioneer 53TX, I decided to get the Elite.

Having connected the system, I see a very strange behavior. I am primarily using the four digital inputs in the back (I wish they had more). The two optical inputs are connected to a CD changer and an internet radio (Turtle Beach AudioTron). The two coax inputs are connected to a cable set top box and a DVD player.

The strange behavior is this... When I turn off the cable box, and select the corresponding digital input as the source, then try to listen to any components, there is no sound. This includes both the digital inputs and tuner. For example, I connect to the DVD player, then to the Cable box (while it is off), then back to the DVD player. There is then no longer any sound. At this point, if I turn on the cable box, then the sound returns. The sound returns also if I turn off the receiver and turn it back on. Also, if I leave the cable box on all the time, there is no issue.

I had originally connected the cable box via the optical input. I thought that changing it to coax might solve the problem. So I got a optical to coax converter and put it in betwee the cable box an the receiver. I see the same symptoms.

DIFFERENT QUESTION (regarding warrantee and 'authorized' dealers)

I called Pioneer technical service regarding the phenomenon above. They indicated that it sounds like a defect in the microprocessor and referred me to the warrantee department. I told them that I had bought this from etronics, and they told me that since I bought the unit from an 'unauthorized' dealer, they will not honor the warrantee. I called etronics. They indicated that the will not accept returns on Pioneer Elite products. They do accept returns for Yamaha, Denon, Panasonic, Sony, etc. It does seem to be the case that Pioneer Elite is the only line that they will not accept. I am assuming that Pioneer is playing hardball with both the distributors and end users selling and buying the product at 'market' prices rather than 'showroom' prices. Is there any way I could get around this? It doesn't seem right that a premium brand would put any of its end customers (regardless of where they bought the product) in this kind of predicament.

On the other hand, if this is an intrinsic bug in their product, then I guess the warrantee will not help.

Username: Don

Wierd problem. My Comcast cable box is crap and doesn't even have a digital out otherwise I would see if my 45tx did the same thing. I guess I would just keep your Cable box on always. It doesn't use a lot of juice and that problem isn't worth shipping it back to etronics imo.

Username: Sgtpeper

Post Number: 2
Yea I wish my comcast box had a digital out... How do you get one with a digi out?

Username: Don

Post Number: 3
I know that the HD box apparently has one, and I have read on regular Digital cable subscribers having a digital out, but it seems to be location thing. Some Comcast areas provide the better boxes, and others screw you harder from behind. I know that after my 1 year promo period I am going with a dish, but for now the pricing is good.

two_cents
Unregistered guest
I just upgraded my Comcast box to receive HDTV stations. It has an optical out. At least in the SF bay area. Well worth the extra 5 bucks a month.

Username: Gman

It is buyer beware from certain online sites. I believe Etronics says they do not have a warranty on Pioneer Elite, as they are unauthorized dealer on this and some other products.

When making a significant purchase I make sure that they either are authorized, carry their own warranty that is equal to the products (they better be a longterm company to trust this), or sell a warranty from a 3rd part warranty service.

A friend in my neigborhood just bought a Pioneer Elite 59AVI dvd player at $935, which was not covered by warranty, but he bought a 2 year warranty at the same time for $75. They mail you a card from a company that specializes in underwriting warranty work and you register your component within 10 days and keep the card on file. Now you are covered.

Jin Lee
Unregistered guest
The box is an HDTV box (I am in the SF bay area). Besides this strange problem, it plays Dolby Digital well with HD programming. The digital radio works very well also.

I think leaving the cable unit on at all times seems to be the logical solution. The receiver is new, so this has been bothering me... I am sure I'll forget about it in a couple of weeks as long as the sound is good.

I hadn't bought audio equipment in about 12 years. I know now what to look for among the retailers now... Although I have to say that etronics has delivered well on many other purchases (other electronic items) recently.

Thanks for all the responses
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us