Sub/reiceiver/front tower speaker set-up ideas

Bronze Member
Username: Marcuslee842

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 11
I recently had 6 Sony bookshelf speakers (50hz-50khz) and a Sony center channel (85hz-50khz) in my 7.1 setup, now I just purchased two Sony MF750H tower speakers (32hz-50khz) for the front L and R channels. What is the best setup option? I have so many. If it's any help my receiver is a 110w x 7 Pioneer 1014tx-k and my sub is a 1000 watt YSTSW 1500 also have a extra 200 watt RCA sub that has line and speaker inputs and RCA receiver that's 100w x 5 40hz-80khz with a 5.1 channel input. Should I:

1. Keep all speakers to the "small" setting just like with the bookshelves?

2. Set the tower speakers to "large" and bookshelves to "small" or "large"?

3. Replace the center speaker with one of the extra bookshelves since they have a lower frequency response and set all speakers to large.

4. Set tower speakers to "large" and bookshelves to small and sub to "plus"

These are only my ideas; I'm open to anyone else's. Also I was thinking of running the surround back pre output signal to the RCA receiver an add the two spare bookshelves to the back of the room between the surround and surround back channels with a slight delay for added envelopment. Is this a good idea why or why not? I am open to criticism.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 17
The yahmaha has another sub out jack one the back. Should I connect both of them and use a SPL meter to make them work together. I have never connected them because. I always thought the 1000 watt Yahmaha would outpower the 200 watt RCA sub. Now I know a little more about frequency response and was wondering should I adjust the crossover on the RCA to 80hz and set the yamaha for only the deepest bass (50 and below).The RCA only goes to 36hz.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 37
My Sony towers are amazing! For $170 who knew you could get such nice speakers. My settings are Fronts: Large, Center, surround, and Surround Back: Small. Sub: "Yes" not "Plus". The Towers had much more bass than what I had anticipated. Also I thought that if I set the towers to large, matrixed surround modes (pro logic IIx, DTS Neo6, etc) would bypass the sub and all bass info would be sent to the large speakers unless the sub setting was set to "plus" I was wrong, very wrong in fact the receiver did the best possible thing, since all speakers are the SS-H series Sony's except the Yamaha sub, any bass info that is sent to the small Sony speakers (below 80hz) is sent to the towers however the really deep bass is sent to the sub. Which in my situation means the sub is now playing the role of a true sub, not playing anything over what seems like 40hz (unless it an LFE signal), which in return eases the load on the sub since it's not trying to cover for seven speakers! My sub has never sounded so smooth! In return the towers take over the small speakers bass and makes it sound better because they are aimed directly at the listeners and not originating in a corner like it once was with the Sub. And maybe I'm wrong but it seems like 4 8-inch woofers handle light to deep bass from 7 speakers better than 1 12-inch sub. Also maybe someone can help me out with this. I know the towers are more expensive than the bookshelves of course, but the towers' sound so much better than the bookshelves even though (as far as I can tell) they have the exact same drivers. I'm not talking about bass I'm talking about midrange and treble as well. Movies and music sound completely different on these than the bookshelves. For instance in The Fast and the Furious a movie I seen a thousand times on my many different home theater set-ups I heard sounds I have never heard before like turbo's whistling and hissing in the background of screen, or on Finding Nemo water and sand effects that weren't apparent with the bookshelves. I'm thinking these speakers have much better crossovers than the bookshelves, but why is the sound so much stronger and clearer? I don't know of this has anything to do with it since the differences are so small but there is a sensitivity difference: Center 88db Bookshelves: 89db Towers 90db. I love these speakers but I just can't help wondering why they sound like they are more expensive than what they are. The bookshelves (350H's) got pretty good reviews but the Towers (750's) all had excellent reviews so I know it just isn't just me. It's just weird because all of the drivers look the exactly the same except for the extra woofer. Oh, well there's nothing left to do but grab my Logitech Force Pro wheel and pop in Gran Turismo 4 for some laps (and great racing sounds)! Congrats to Sony for making a great speaker!

P.S. I know I'm late and Sony has a whole other series of speakers!

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Post Number: 54
I have a thread by myself, oh happy day!
marcuslee842 when you see this post please reply!

Sorry, just having a bored as hell day at work.
:-(
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us