Need a cheap receiver that will power 4 ohm speakers Help?

Erik Rogers
Unregistered guest
I recently found a very good deal on the Wharfedale Moviestar 70+ home theater speaker set. It generally runs around $600 and I was able to pick it up for $150.

Anyways, it is my first home theater system and so now I need to purchase a receiver. The problem is the speakers impedence is 4 ohm and most receivers are 8 ohm.

Does anyone know of a specific receiver capable of powering my 4 ohm speakers. I am still a poor starving college student so the cheaper the better.

Thanks for the help.

Bronze Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 94
Give Denon a look. See what they are running. I believe they can run 4 ohm speakers as can some yamaha.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 351
Harman Kardon AVR230 would work well, try to find in on clearance at Best Buy as it has been rolled over to the AVR235.

Erik Rogers
Unregistered guest
Whats the minimum I can expect to pay for a compatible receiver? $300 $250 $200. If you have any advice at all I would appreciate it. I've heard of people using 8 ohm receivers for 4 ohm speakers. Does this degrade sound quality at all? I know it increases the risks of frying your receiver but are there any other down sides?

Bronze Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 97
if you use an 8 ohm reciever for 4 ohm speakers you risk damaging your reciever. It is NOT AT ALL A GOOD IDEA! trust me on that one

Erik Rogers
Unregistered guest
From what I have read thus far, most of the time you are ok powering 4 ohm speakers with a mid range receiver as long as you don't plan on cranking the volume and you keep it well ventilated.

Thus far that seems like the only option for me because i can't afford the 500+ range receivers.

If anyone knows of an alternative I am definitely open to hearing it. I definitely appreciate the comments thus far.

Unregistered guest
Check out an older NAD reciever. NAD is known for thier high current amp designs which are ideal for 4 ohm speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 355
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39794%26item%3D5754784852 %26

Your problem finding a cheap receiver is that a receiver needs a better power supply and power reserves to handle a 4 ohm load. Your best bet will be buying used or for a good deal.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us