Best Receiver Brand for watching DVD's?

Anonymous

I am looking to buy a new receiver for my home theatre. I love watching movies in digital surround sound. What is the best brand of receiver for watching dvd's?

Bronze Member
Username: Dloweman

Post Number: 91
Yamaha is great for movies.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2756
Let us start with a budget.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 357
Anon

There is a huge selection of brands to choose from, all of which have their proponents and detractors. It would help if you could iron out a few variables for us, so we can know what kind of pitch we're dealing with. For example, help us with the size of the room, the speakers you will use, the DVD player, the proposed budget for the receiver. If you give us a few clues in terms of this environment then we can help you with some recommendations. If you have not chosen speakers and DVD player, just say so since then we can recommend combinations which we know work well.

Regards,
Frank.

Anonymous

Berny and Frank i know what you guys are talkin bout but however depending on the budget i think that rotel makes one of the best recievers no matter what it is hooked up to or what the size of the room is

Anonymous

My budget is $400-700Cdn. I have Yamaha floor standing fronts, polk audio centre,JBL rears and a 10" sub. DVD player is JVC. Mid-Large size room. I have a JVC receiver that is 4 years old and am looking to upgrade. I want a reciever that has 7.1 surround. (will buy a another set of speakers later.)

Username: Theoilslick

VernonCanada

Post Number: 7
Anonymous: I recently had the same problem, except I had to get a new one my old one died. After spending countless hours agonizing what I wanted and asking for advice here I settled on a HK 430, cost me around 850, really happy with it. But in your range (which was the range I started in) I really liked the Denon 1905. The best thing to do is just go down and check them out. I may get beaten here because honestly I am assuming that 7 channel means 7.1 surround if I am wrong please someone tell me. But I would warn you now that most DVD's are 5.1, and as I understood it "Only The Lord OF the Rings" has been filmed in 6.1 surround, and let me tell you there are some really nice 6.1 recievers in that price range.

Anonymous

Austin Powers in Goldmember is 6.1 as well. And i want the 7.1 so i'm ready for the future.

Bronze Member
Username: Se7en

Post Number: 19
i dont think there is a 7.1 reciever for 4-7 hundred. im prob wrong but i dont think there is

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2759
In that price range, you may want to check out the Kenwood VR8070.

Bronze Member
Username: Shokhead

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 62
Denon 2105 i think is 7.1 for around 500 bucks. About the best bang for you buck out there imo.

Bronze Member
Username: Dloweman

Post Number: 93
The 2105 is over 800 here in canada. Look at the yamaha rxv650 for around 650 Canadian, it is a 7.1 receiver and is great for movies.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 105
Actually, there are a bunch of movies recorded in 6.1 DTS.

http://www.dtsonline.com/consumer/hometheatre/dvd-titles.php

BTW, you 'can' play back 5.1DD movies in 7.1 surround and I wouldnt let the fact that many are recorded in 5.1 hold you back.

That's the whole purpose of the high tech processors on the new HT receivers!!!!. It's do decode sound into 7.1 sound regardless of the source. BTW, they also do a great job decoding 2 channel stereo TV sources into 7.1 format too. And trust me, once you listen in 7.1, you'll wonder how you ever did without. Today I watched the nascar race in HD and 7.1 surround.........WOW!! Im no nascar fan either, but it was a pretty cool experience. Golf was rained out, so I watched the car race instead."laugh"

If anyone is considering using back effects, you might as well set it up in 7.1 if your room will allow for that application. Why sell yourself short, right?

Bronze Member
Username: Shokhead

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 69
The problem with 6 and 7.1 is most dont have the room or wife for those speakers.

Anonymous

What about the Pioneer 1014 or Yamaha 5760B.? Any preference there?

Bronze Member
Username: Reggie_lives

Post Number: 15
I have the Yamaha 5760 (silver, not black) and I'm loving every minute of it. Got it under $600 CDN after taxes (main reason for buying it) and hanvent' looked back.

Only downside (minor) is no phono inputs.

Username: Theoilslick

VernonCanada

Post Number: 9
and that's y i have always learned to say correct me if I am wrong, cause I prolly am
peace
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us