Can I put my powered subwoofer inside my enterteinment center?

Username: Inquiringaudio

Post Number: 2
I currently have a passive subwoofer that I keep inside my enterteinment center. Has always sounde fine this way. I am upgrading to a new surround system with a powered subwoofer. Everything I read says it should be in a corner of the room, unforunately that is not possible.
Can I house it in the entertainment sytem as well? Will I lose sound quality with it inside?

Thanks for your help!!!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Audiomania

Muskegon, MI USA

Post Number: 13
I am not an audiophile, but I think that as long as it is front-firing, it may be OK. The port position may be a factor as well (if it isn't a sealed box type). I'll be interested in what the "big boys" tell you.

Post Number: 3
Glenn,

Thanks for the reply. I am going to try it both ways. Like you said, I hope to hear more opinions from others as well.

Thanks,

Greg

Jayb
Unregistered guest
Although I am not a member I do work for a very well known audio company so I do have extensive experience.
If the sub you are looking at has phase ajustment you may be alright by putting it in the cabintet although I wouldn't reccomend it. Remember, BASS is produced by the ppushing of air. If you limit the available air for the driver to push, you limit the power, range and responsiveness of you low end effect especially in a multichannel movie environment, specifically digital. You should try to spend some time putting it in different locations in your room, you'd be suprised what kind of results you may yeild from a little experimentation. Hope this helps!

Post Number: 4
Jayb,

Thanks for the advice. My biggest problem is space. (and a wife who does not care to see the subwoofer sitting in the room) Hopefully we can find mutual ground without sacrificing sound quality.

Thanks,

Greg

Jayb
Unregistered guest
Greg,

No problem, just to let you guys know, I'm new to this forum thing but I have to say, solving audio questions for people is quite fulfilling and is truly a passion of mine. I am an employee of a well known speaker company so this sort of forum is right up my input. Thanks guys!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us