Archive through February 02, 2005

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 434
The other day I spoke with Kevin Deal of Upscale Audio, who imports the PrimaLuna integrated amp. He's obviously a big advocate of the amp, but when we started talking about the Cary sli-80, which was the reason I called, he gave me the impression that the Cary integrated was in a different league. He saved his highest praise though for the Audio Electronic Supply AE-3 DJH pre-amp. A used sli-80 costs about the same as a new PrimaLuna Prologue 2. The AE-3 with a comparable quality amp would be substantially more expensive.

I've read a lot of good things about the Audible Illusions pre-amp, but haven't heard it personally. Will look into it. Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 435
SMc,

What has gotten into you, girl?!

Silver Member

Post Number: 436
Larry R.,

I only know what I hear. First, it was the Audio Tempo III's at a dealer. Never heard of Audio Physic before. That speaker just stood out from the field. A nice full, coherent sound, very musical with abundant pace. I was tapping my toes to Vivaldi. Dealer offered a good price on a demo pair. I went home to think about it. A little research revealed that used Virgos, the next step up from the Tempos were actually cheaper than the demo Tempos. So, I went to audition a used pair of Virgo IIs in Marin. The guy's house was on a hillside, overlooking the town of Mill Valley. Spectacular. The Virgos sounded even better than the Tempos. Better bass and amazing details and imaging (matched with about 15 grand of electronics). Even more spectacular. I forgot about the view out of the greenhouse window in the living room. The sound was that good. Unfortunately, one of the speakers had a damaged cone. Probably only cosmetic, but it really bothered me considering the cost of the speakers. Well, by then I decided to get a pair of Virgo IIs and build my next system around it. Finally found a really great guy on the east coast who was selling a pair at very nice price. Hope to have them in my hands by next weekend. Like I said, I don't know much about the engineering behind them, but I know it works musical magic and the build quality is, er, German.

Bronze Member
Username: Simplymcintosh

Post Number: 45
2C,

It's MR's fault. He started talking about hot latin lovers, dancin' shoes and Englishmen. It just so happens I had been making a CD for Larry and had what I called a "Kitsch List" of songs. One of those songs was "In These Shoes?" by Kirsty MaCall. Then, Larry started making some assertion about Australians and sex and reproduction and explained how it had also spread to the Carolinas only with or without shoes. This started me thinking about being barefoot right about the same time I was adding Bette Midler's "Otto Titsling" to Larry's "Kitsch List". Somehow this segued into being barefoot and titslingless in one of my posts.

Then, MR, once again stirred things up by asking for clarification on what titslingless meant. I quote him, verbatim:

Titsling - now is that like an over-the-shoulder-boulder-holder?
Or - a sling for a broken tit?
Or - a device to fling tiny little birds into the air?

So, then I had to explain the over-the-shoulder-boulder-holder bit which confounded Larry who couldn't reconcile the bawdy, crass lyrics coming from a sweet little Southern Belle (his perception) and so he had to go to bed to recover. This happened right about the time I started feeling a little tired and realized it was also past my bedtime. Of course, I had just gotten through adding "Celestine" to Larry's "Kitsch List" which brought a whole new level of trouble to the forum.

Then, because I had these kitschy songs in my head, I didn't get much sleep and had the need to take an afternoon nap the next day. When I awoke, I may have been a little discombobulated. The backwards jammies is still a mystery.

So, now Rick is trying to save me and MR is attempting to go along with the plan - apparently to divert suspicion away from him - and it all reminds me of another song.....

Chorus:
Cause I'm going straight to hell
Just like my momma said
I'm going straight to hell
Just like my momma said

"Straight to Hell" by Drivin'n'Cryin'

Hope that clears it up!

Silver Member
Username: Rick_b

New York USA

Post Number: 779
Rantz,

I think we all could use a little, old testament, fire and brimstone. LOL!

SMc,

Thanks again for the laugh. That made my day.

Two Cents,

Glad to hear you are getting the tube bug.

please check out www.responseaudio.com

Bill Baker is a super nice guy to do business with, and is doing some super nice modification work. Check it out if you get a chance.

Silver Member

Post Number: 437
SMc,

Ah, that explains everything.

OK, I'll call off the intervention. But I don't know if Rick will.

That backwards jammies passage, though, is the finest piece of Southern literature since Faulkner.

Silver Member

Post Number: 438
Rick,

Thanks for the link. All I can say is "OOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo..."

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

"I think we all could use a little, old testament, fire and brimstone."

If you don't mind, I'll opt out of this one. Fire and brimstone are on Texas' TV and radio 24/7. Our legislature begins each day with a chunk of F&B. I can take the fire, but the brimstone gets to be ... well, so old testament.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

http://www.audioweb.com/Ad/AdInfo.asp?adid=151673

Silver Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 539
To all: OK - I'm outta here on all the fire and brimstone stuff! I was raised in a fundamentalist Christian church - and got MORE than enough fundamentalist, uh, "indoctrination" to last me three lifetimes. fortunately, I finally escaped. . .

I hope that NOBODY took anything I said/wrote about Ghia as anything but attempts at some innocent humor. Too often the written word fails in interpretation, as we all know. Soooo. . . IF anything I wrote came across as criticism or bias, please forgive me - I had no such thing in mind.

J. Vigne - Yeah, I used to listen to one of "your" radio stations - can't remember the call letters, but it was just across the border in Mexico, so didn't have limitations on power. Oooo-weeee! Talk about fundamentalist propaganda! Ouch! For some reason "XERF" sticks in my mind, but I just don't remember.

Sittin' and a-rockin' and waitin' - along wid the rest of yew - for new stuff. Sigh. Won't be here for at least another week. that's one nice thing about buying "local" - you get to take it right home and hook it up!!

Two Cents: OK - I got the picture on your speakers, and hope that the ones you get are in good shape. From the East Coast? Ooo-eee - will take awhile in shipping, fer shore. Now - say with me: "It will not snow. It will not snow." That's it - keep it up! (I'm saying the same thing about the B&Ws, BTW!!!)

Mer is, as usual, hogging the living room and its TV, so I'm "music-less" again tonight. Sigh. My dream is winning a BIG lottery - and creating a place with my very own listening room - where I can fall asleep peacefully! (grin)

More anon. . .

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Speaking of Fire and Brimstone, reminds me of another song with an alternate view:

Man you should have seen me way back then
I could tell a tale, I could make it spin
I could tell you black was white
I could tell you day was night
Not only that I could tell you why
Back then I could really tell a lie

Well I'd hire a kid to say he was lame
Then I'd touch him and make him walk again
Then I'd pull some magic trick I'd pretend to heal the sick
I was takin' everything they had to give
It wasn't all that bad a way to live

Well I'm in this desert town and it's hot as hell
But no one's buyin' what I got to sell
I make my lame kid walk I make a dumb guy talk
I'm preachin' up a storm both night and day
But everyone just turns and walks away

Well I can see that I'm only wasting time
So I head across the road to drink some wine
This old man comes up to me He says I seen you on the street
You're pretty good if I do say myself
But the guy that come thru here last month he was somethin' else

Instead of callin' out for fire from above
He just gets real quiet and talks about love
And I'll tell you somethin' funny He didn't want nobody's money
Now I'm not exactly sure what this all means
But it's the damndest thing I swear I've ever seen

Well since that time every town is the same
I can't make a dime, I don't know why I came
I decide I'll go and find him And find out who's behind him
He has everyone convinced that he's for real
Well I figure we can work us out a deal

So he offers me a job and I say fine
He says I'll get paid off on down the line
Well I guess I'll string along Don't see how too much can go wrong
As long as he pays my way I guess I'll follow
We're headed for Jerusalem tomorrow

"Jerusalem Tomorrow" - David Olney (performed by Emmylou Harris)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
2C

That backwards jammies passage, though, is the finest piece of Southern literature since Faulkner.

Well, thank yewww! But, I'm afraid I'll have to defer to John Kennedy Toole. :-)

Lar, to my knowledge you ain't offended nobody. Don't try to read between the lines of that double-negative. <wink>

Rick, glad to have made your day...

As for all this tube talk....n'ah not going there. :-) Carry on...I'm happy with Mr. Mac.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

How's Mr. Dual makin' out?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
About as good as Mr. B right now. The difference is Mr. Dual still has a shot. ;-)

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2157
Jan now that's a preamp I could get into!

Absolutly georgus looking with remote to boot!
I'm sure it sounds wonderful too.
May have to change my vote to that one.
(that is site unheard anyway)

Peace out time to get back to moddin.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2158
2c for the price of the cary integrated that might be tough to beat!

You said about $1500 right?

By the time you get a nice preamp and amp combo i'm sure your past that.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2159
Jan I wonder if that's a uk $1300 because theres 3 on audiogon at no less
then $3000 that's either an awsome deal that someone should jump on or
I'm missing something right?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

I don't know about why on the Mac. I was suprised at the price. Maybe John can explain the current different in UK/US price. I don't know if the unit would be worth shipping back to the US since it is wired for UK voltage (not a huge problem)and the shipping would be pretty expensive. It might be worth looking into. That's an awfully good pre amp. A sidney Corderman design.
http://www.stereophile.com/amplificationreviews/577/index.html

SM - Sorry to hear about Mr. B. Give my best to Mr. D.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2160
Shipping would definatly need to be checked.
The add says (Power Requirements 100, 120 or 230 VAC, 50-60Hz 70 Watts)
I buy a decent amount off ebay (tubes and what not) That it's about 89 cents
extra on the dollar from the uk. Meaning uk $1 = $1.89 us roughly.

So if it was $1300 uk it would be about $2500 u.s. which seems in the ballpark.

But If that's $1300 us and shipping was decent that seems like a great deal!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 540
Kegger: G-mornin'- don't youze guyz ever sleep?
(grin)

Two Cents: I'm curious. How did you find the guy on the East Coast with the Virgos? Was he on audiogon? When I was casting about, looking for the B&Ws, I simply didn't find any - until a fortuitous set of key-strokes led me to the guy with the out-dated listing.

If I were to, say, look for some of your Virgos, where would I look for listings? I've never spent much time on the Internet with electronics look-ups, so you have a "magic bullet" that I don't understand.

BTW - from what I've read, you should be getting some quite excellent speakers! I'm still flummoxed by the set-up, though - tweeter, 5" aluminum mid-range, and four 6 1/2" bass drivers. I'd like to read more about those speakers!

SMAC - glad I didn't offend anyone - just covering my a$$ here, so that I don't get on people's s h i t list! (grin)

Hoping to win the lottery tonight, so I can build my own music room. Yeah, sure! Oh, well - I buy one ticket and then do some chanting. Hmmm. . .

A wonderful weekend to all!. . .

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

2c - http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1111381794

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Kegger - Out of your price range I assume but available.

http://www.audibleillusions.com/notable1.htm

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

This pre amp uses two trim pots to adjust balance and then one master volume. More convenient than the Modulus two VC style.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2767
Great thread. No time. Afternoon naps. Jammies. I have been missing out on the repartee, courtesy of new job etc. I admire Rick's missionary sense of duty, but would not wish him to be drawn into temptation, and am therefore nobly and self-sacrificingly willing to take on the task myself, should SM be willing. It is an odd position, anyway, and would not require rotation of the mentioned garment, so that does not explain anything. IMHO. Nice photo of sheep, Ghia: MR will be appreciative, down under. If unable to sleep, one always could count them, I suppose.

The Prima Luna Prologue 1 was reviewed in HiFi News about a year ago. My back issues are over in Scandinavia. I do have the recent issue January 2005) with the review of the Audion Lo Sfizio integrated valve amp. The "political statement" is that it is made in Europe, actually Italy, and not China. So the reviewer writes . "...can I recommend this amplifier to you in the face of the Asian-made PrimaLuna Prologue One, which cost less, looks great and will even drive Wilson WATT Puppies? Recommendation depends on one thing and one thing only: you concern for Europe's and America's loss of their manufacturing capabilities...."

I know what I think of that. The poor, starving audio engineers of Turin, Strasbourg, Cambridge, Amsterdam. Their children without shoes, perhaps, or even without private education. Such deprivation. Perhaps there is a marker for "Fair Trade" hifi, like coffee? The political question for me would be how much of the PrimaLuna retail price gets back to the people who designed it, and made it, i.e. actually did the work, and whether the money is actually at their disposal, to invest, or tied in some way to making more stuff for western entrepreneurs. Whether Arisiton, in constrast, has any connection with Silvio Berlusconi and other artisans and proponents of free trade is not mentioned.

All such questions have nothing at all to do with sound quality. I would want the best sound for my money. As long as it was not made by Microsoft or Nestlé... Jan, you and I chewed this general topic over, a while ago.

Going right back, hours ago; Larry, 30 minutes. I have my simplified stereo system as the only sound source in the apartment; radio and TV come out of the same speakers as the Lindsay's Beethoven (on "Sanctuary" label - wonderful; recommended). Thus there is somtimes a window between the end of The Simpsons and dinner. The little ones get banished and I have a glass of, say Chardonnay, and a chance to get my brain back together, for which I find Beethoven String Qts help no end.

Jan, sorry I have no idea why the £/$ exchange is as it is. When we were in US years ago it was the other way, and they came as close to parity as they ever have. Ouch. The GIs today would perhaps be underpaid, undersexed, and somewhere else. No comment on the French and their prowess. I am still re-appraising the Vikings. Their strong suit was not exactly subtlety and seduction, as I recall. They also gave their longship design to the Normans, and that was strategically important in 1066.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

I did not know fire and brimstone preachers knew of "odd positions". Maybe I should listen to the Ministers of the AM dial more carefully.

I would think the only real consideration on the Audion is whether you want your amplifer wired by indentured servitude or a young waif with curly hair, himself already wired on expresso and tiramisu. I know what I think of THAT!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 542
Help from the "Masters," please!

In seeking out some form of surround speakers that do not take up ALL of our living space, as the Polks would do, I happened upon the "Orb" speakers web site. Sound very good to me! Small, but with enough quality to make for good surround, IMHO.

Soooo - as the Orb speaker cubes use only a 3" poly cone - and claim response up to 18 kHz, minus a coupl-ah dbs - I GOT TO WUNNERING.

My liddle radio shack speakers have a soft-cone tweeter, which I've always found "harsh," and a 4" polyprop "woofer."

Thought I - what if I just cut away the crossover and the tweeter, and left the larger speaker on its own? Sooo - tonight I performed surgery.

Rather simple, and can easily be reversed. But as Mer is ear-infected and splonged out on the living room sofa, I can't very well fire up the stereo to hear what's happening. Will do so in the morning.

Question: what sort of sound can I expect from these speakers now that they've been "cut?" Even if they roll off at about 6 kHz I'll be happy with them as surrounds. They're relatively small, white, and Mer likes them in the LR (very important).

All ideas welcome here. . . wid thanx.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Calling Dr. Fine. Calling Dr. Fine. Dr. Fine, Dr. Fine!

Eh, a wise guy, heh? Pick two fingers.

POINK!!!

Woooowooooowooooooowoooowoooooo.

You did what? Did you just finish "Oedipus"? If thine eyes offend thee, pluck them out! If thine high frequency drivers offend thee, yank the little suckers outta there!

Mer better be careful about telling you what hurts.

Larry, if the highs bothered you and you didn't want a speaker being in the way, why didn't you just shove the Radio Shack speakers under the sofa? You wouldn't have heard the high frequencies at that point. Much simpler than the Exacto knife modification.

Here's the thing, Larry. When you listen to your beloved SACD's, you want to have full frequency response (or as close to it as possible) from the 5 speakers that make up the "5" part of the 5.1 system. (With no center speaker, no subwoofer and no tweets in the back, you're down to about a 2 3/8 .0 system.) When you listen to anything with Dolby Digital or DTS, you want all the main speakers to have as wide a frequency response as you can get.

Did you check where the X-over point is, er, was in the Radio Shacks so you can assume you'll even get to 6kHz? What if the X-over was at 3kHz? The 4" speaker that's left is likely to roll off fast after that point. There's a pretty big difference between a speaker that is down 3 dB at 18k and one that's down 12 dB at 4k. And, really, I don't think I'd use the Orbs as my model unless I'd heard them and thought out how I could turn my 4", two way speaker into a 3" one way speaker with at least the same frequency response. Just eliminatimg the tweeter isn't going to accomplish that. You'd be better off going down to the Shack and buying some 3" or 4" car speakers with a whizzer cone, and hooking them into the rear channels.

Sorry if this comes across as a scolding, but you asked for ideas on what to expect. If you want natural sound and you've just spent some money trying to reach that point, my opinion is you're now headed in the wrong direction.

BUT ...

Nobody can tell you what you should like or dislike. So, if you turn this system on and think you like it, you can call me "Bats" for liking high frequencies, even in a surround system.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

"Question: what sort of sound can I expect from these speakers now that they've been 'cut'?"

As Johnny Carson said to Ed Ames, "I didn't even know you were Jewish."

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Words and phrases that can mean the same thing as cut: (89 results)

abbreviate, abridge, abridged, baseball swing, bring down, castrated, chopped, clipped, cold shoulder, contract, crosscut, curve, cut back, cut down, cut off, cut of meat, cut out, cutting, cutting off, cut up, decreased, deletion, dilute, diluted, disregard, down, downed, edit, edit out, emasculated, felled, foreshorten, gash, gashed, gelded, hack, hand-hewn, hewn, ignore, incised, injured, issue, make out, mown, perforate, perforated, pierced, prune, punctured, rationalize, reduce, reduced, severed, sheared, sheer, shorten, shortened, shredded, skip, slash, slashed, slew, slice, sliced, slit, slitted, slue, snub, split, stinger, style, swerve, swing, switch off, tailor, thin, thinned, thin out, trend, trim, trim back, trim down, trimmed, turn off, turn out, unsexed, veer, weakened, write out

Words and phrases that rhyme with cut: (89 results)

1 syllable:
but, butt, dutt, glut, gut, gutt, haute, hut, hutt, jut, klugt, knut, kut, mutt, nut, nutt, phut, putt, rut, rutt, schut, schutt, schutte, scutt, shut, shutt, skutt, s/lut, s/mut, strut, tut, tutt, utt, what

2 syllables:
abut, allnutt, all but, blind gut, boil s/mut, chesnutt, corn s/mut, curnutte, elk nut, false s/mut, field hut, flag s/mut, green s/mut, head s/mut, king nut, loose s/mut, mcnutt, oil nut, palm nut, pine nut, rebut, rush nut, somewhat, uncut, wing nut

3 syllables:
apple nut, army hut, betel nut, brazil nut, cashew nut, cedar nut, chile nut, cigar butt, cola nut, covered s/mut, hiccup nut, know what's what, monkey nut, nissen hut, onion s/mut, queensland nut, rifle butt, stinking s/mut, terre-haute, water butt, wheat flag s/mut

4 syllables:
buffalo nut, chilean nut, cigarette butt, edible nut, hickory nut, ivory nut, kick in the butt

I would consider most of these appropriate except "terre-haute".

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 780
Performing surgery without a license, eh Larry?
Nothing good can come from that. Sorry my friend, you deserved that one.

Dr. Fine. Now that was funny!

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

I knew watching stuff in Black and White would be worth something someday. Who knew it would be now?!

Silver Member

Post Number: 439
Yes, I've been told that everything is more artsy and intellectual in black-and-white.

You forgot "snipped" for an even 90. Would you include "flay"? As in flay mignon, a cut of the finest cow, sliced just for you.

I'm now seriously thinking of getting a solid state amp and a tube pre-amp. Later I can experiment with a tube amp. I just don't feel decisive on the matter. I need my Magic 8-ball from yesteryear.

Lar, you asked a few posts back how I found the guy selling the speakers. I posted a wanted ad on Audiogon. I wasn't really expecting any replies, but ended up getting three offers. There aren't that many AP Virgo owners out there, but they all must scour Audiogon.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

I awoke this morining to shoot two tweeters in my jammies. What two tweeters were doing in my jammies, I'll never know.

The magic eight ball says, "Vhat, do I look like I can pick a hifi?"

Silver Member

Post Number: 440
Jan, be careful of Lar coming around with his scissors trying to snip your tweeters or whatever you have in your jammies.

Magic 8-ball knows all. That's no lie. Mine predicted that the royal family would off diana. And it came to pass.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

HAIL FREEDONIA!!! HAIL FREEDONIA!!!

Ah, yes, artsy and intellectual.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

2c - That's some ball you got there; got another one like it in your jammies?

Silver Member

Post Number: 441
Just ask a french deconstructionist about the hegelian dialectics of the three stooges and the three marx brothers. Or were there four? I always get Zeppo and Karl mixed up. Both were so serious and not really on to the crazy antics of the others.

My scotch glass is sadly empty. Well, I'm going to put on my jammies for the night. Backwards I should add. That way, they'll be on straight when I wake up.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Karl and Zeppo got each other mixed up; that was their excuse - they were mixed up.

An empty Scotch glass - add backwards. Over ice?

That's the way I like 'em - straight! But backwards' not bad for a change. Fire and brimstone!

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 1333
" What two tweeters were doing in my jammies, I'll never know."

Might have been looking for a woodpecker :-)

Anyway, from what I've learn't here recently, I'm thinking seriously about a holiday in Boulder Colarado. If they named a town after 'em I can imagine that'd be one vacation full of wonderful mam - er - memories.

2C

Yeah - but will YOU be?

SM - That right, blame me for your slipping of the rails :-)

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

"Just ask a french deconstructionist about the hegelian dialectics of the three stooges and the three marx brothers."

With all the credit given to Hegel and his influence on/of the Stooges and the Bros., I was always amazed he didn't draw better crowds at Improv Night. Particularly when you consider some of his famous lines, such as, "We learn from history that we do not learn from history", and, "The people are that part of the state that does now know what it wants." Personally, I'm doubled over with this guy!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
From my experience, woofers in jammies are preferred because they are better at handling the low end. Tweeters work better in the titsling.

MR, try not to have too much fun in Boulder or you may find yourself going to Hell, MI

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 543
G-day, all! LOL! Well, my little do-it-yourself surgery seems to have got the hornets all a-flying! Scolding accepted, Jan et al, and yet this ayem I was pleasantly surprised by what I heard.

Don't know when the RS cones roll off, but I was certainly getting lots of highs out of them! And the "grating" sounds of the tweeters were mercifully absent. So - TO me, the speakers just work better. At least for now.

But my surgery did fire up the Dogs - and frankly that's why I even bothered to post about it. Such fun to stir up the hornets! (grin)

SMAC - "Hell, Michigan." Yep - actually been there. Nice little town - but boring! Big in selling bumper stickers saying: "I've been to Hell and Back!" NOTE - verrrry small "Michigan under the 'Hell." Tricky, dem folk!

Now, I'm going back in to listen to my better-sounding speakers! Such as they are. Both males, obviously. . .

More anon. . .

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 781
"handling the low end?"

Back to the Fire and Brimstone we go.......

I guess this isn't a good time to mention Coxsackie, New York?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
MR,

Here are a few more destinations to add to your US tour:

Hooker, OK
Hot Coffee, MS
Cash, TX
Chocolate Bayou, TX
Blue, Ball, DE
Last Chance, CO
Red Head, FL
Yeehaw Junction, FL
Beer Bottle Crossing, ID
Floyds Knobs, IN
French Lick, IN

Caution: Plan your trip to visit Floyds Knob before French Lick.

Beaver Lick, KY
Jugville, KY (this is probably in reference to moonshine not mammaries)
Horneytown, NC
Whynot, NC
Luck, NC
Blackjack, NC

Note: Plan your trip to go to Luck then Blackjack.

Virginville, PA
Sweet Lips, TN
Butts, VA
I n t e r c o u r s e, PA

Caution: Plan your trip to avoid going to Butts and I n t e r c o u r s e back to back....so to speak.

Threeway, VA
Okay, OK

Towns to Avoid:

Accident, MD
Boring, MD
Booger Hole, WV
Tightwad, MO
Meat Camp, NC
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Slaughterville, OK
Idiotville, OR
Ding Dong, TX
Looneyville, TX
Gun Barrel City, TX
Toad Suck, TX (or TX in general as I'm seeing a pattern here)
Imalone, WI
Hellhole Palms, CA
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Goobertown, AZ
Bald Knob, AR
Gassville, AR
Weiner, AR
Hollywood, FL
Hollywood, MD
Hollywood, CA
Tiff, MO
Truth or Consequences, NM
Businessburg,OH (this is vacation, after all)
Disco, TN
Paris, TN
Paris, TX

Note: Only the French know how to do Paris right.

Hope this helps!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 545
Rick: I thought you were supposed to be the "voice of reason and morality" on this site! And yet you persist in your taunting ways, sir! Coxsackie, indeed! Harrumph!

Perhaps after due Sunday-reflection on your part, you will see the light and return to your original, righteous standing. (grin?)

More anon. . .

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 546
My Rantz: If you're planning on a Boulder, Colorado, vacation - may I caution you, sir, that the huge red-rock formations for which Boulder is famous are called (and resemble) "The flatirons." Does that take away any titilating temptations?

Boulder - Flatirons - think on that, sir! (grin)

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 547
My Rantz: the Boulder "Flatirons."

Upload

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 782
Paris,TN
Paris,TX
Paris Hilton

Sorry about that!

Just trying to point out the many temptations to the sinners,among the flock, brother Larry.

Silver Member

Post Number: 442
And don't forget Weed, CA! Gotta love NorCal.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

I've been through Paris, TX and as the song (somewhat) goes, the best thing about Paris, TX is seing it in your rearview mirror. However, I did find it more cosmopolitan that Possum Trot, Kentucky.

Larry - Since your annoying R.S. tweeters "came out" so well, have you considered appplying the same procedure to the nasty high freqency drivers in the Polks. You may find you don't really need the B&W's after all.

How's Mer doing?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

2c - How well put.

Yes, by no means should you forget the weed on a road trip. And somebody grab the Santana CD's.

Bats
Unregistered guest

Larry - Now you've really got me curious. You said Mer was "ear-infected" when you performed the bris on your R.S. speakers. Have you told what you did, or are you just going to let her think her hearing has been destroyed?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

SM - "From my experience, woofers in jammies are preferred because they are better at handling the low end."

For your sake I hope your woofers in your jammies don't have whizzer cones.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Signing off from Texas - a place you don't want to be. Uh, at.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2161
For anyone who cares the antherm pre 2l is in use and all modded up.

I took it apart to inspect it and found a 100 ohm resister in the power supply that had
gotten warm and was turning slightly brownish right next to the largest cap in the supply.
So I upgraded both from 2 watt res. to 5 watt and from 400v 100uf cap to 450v 150uf. (new sprague)
Well since I was in there decided to upgrade the coupling caps to some pio's I had! (new Jensen's)
I also changed out the tubes for some jan phillips 6922's (70's vint) , had the sovtek 6922's (98 vint)
Sounds great and last night watched a movie using the unit in the passthrough mode works wonderful!
The mods have given the preamp a little more airiness with better topend and the bass is tightend up
with a more solid impact, overall very nice improvements and for me a great preamp!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2768
Here are a few more destinations to add to your US tour:.
How could one omit...
Climax, Colorado.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1334
Kegger,

Glad your work is turning out worthwhile. You seem to be getting it down to a fine art. Cheers!

Larry,

Yes, Those Flatirons have deflated my visions of Boulder. Now they can thank you for the loss of my tourist dollar :-) Hope Mer's ears are on the mend.

SM - Thanks for that effort for putting together the tour of American wierdness. I have definitely dedided against Hell. I might go to Texas though - some day - it's only three hours away.

Rick,

Coxsackie - I put in a real effort to contain myself with that one. LOL!

Jan,

My retort to your jammie post, which in your infinite wisdom, ignored - well, you need to remember Art Linkletter?

2C

The weed - now that explains SM and her regressive behaviour. It may also explain the behaviour of others here too - What do you think Larry?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1335
John A,

"How could one omit... Climax, Colorado."

It's easy if you can't remember what it is!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1336
Larry,

BTW - I think you pulled a fsat one on me - those Flatirons don't look too flat!

John A,

I had a look at that website. They have a Climax aerial photo. Now I remember!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 549
My Rantz: Believe me, they're flat - only flat on a slant, if you catch my drift! I've tried to climb them - with rather ankle-bashing failure. Sigh. Too old - too old!

Well, I happened to remember (unusual for me) a seldom-used disc that a friend out in Arizona had sent me last year. On it are some tunes, but more important just now - a series of test-tones!

Soooo - I popped the disc in the player, and adjusted the volume so that it was loud enough to easily hear, but not so loud as to be ear-banging.

then, I just let the disc do its thing: 250 Hz, 500 Hz, 1,000 Hz, 2,500 Hz, 5,000 Hz,7,500 Hz, 10,000 Hz. the 4-inch cones took them all in stride, with only a slight roll-off at 10-thou. I would have gone up higher - but the mope had only copied off the frequencies to 10kHz. Sigh. Anyway, if the speakers give me 10kHz with no appreciable drop-off - that's fine with me!

Mer said today how much more she enjoys the sound of the speakers - as do I. So - surgery a success, at least FOR US. And no, I'd NEVER' try such a thing with the Polk speakers! Remember, the Radio Shacks are worth about $20 on the used market now. No great loss IF it comes to that.

My Rantz - no, sir - I think SM's regressive behavior can be traced to the point where she gave up her surround system and went "backwards" to plain-vanilla 2-channel stereo. I think that must affect the mind somehow, if not whole physical being.

Being surround-challenged is no laughing matter! Despite what Jan V. teaches, the loss of that omnipresent sound input can leach reason out of the human soul, and leave the person in need of soulful counseling. Wouldn't you agree, brother Rick?

Well, Mer's ear is better - and she still claims that the bris-ceremony left the surrounds in better condition than originally manufactured. The Polks will probably be sold on Audiogon. Sigh.

More anon. . .

Gold Member

Post Number: 1340
Correction for post: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 06:00 pm: Re Matt Bianco's "Matts Mood" SACD.

Regarding the sax player, Ronnie Ross, being the same one who played many years ago on Ian Drury and The Blockhead's - "Hit me with your Rhythm Stick" that was incorrect. It was, in fact, Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side" where Ross's sax solo appears. Almost 54 and senility is setting in!

I know most of you have been wondering whether or not to correct my ghastly error. Probably what's been causing all that tossing and turning in your sleep - maybe accounting for those jammies ending up back to front or not in their correct position (hope that makes some people feel better). So my apologies to all and Matt Bianco for this terrible oversight.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1341
Larry,

Sorry - I forgot to thank you for the explanations.

Thank you and pleased Mer's ear is better.

BTW - I have offered some friendly thoughts fo ryou on the Orb's post also.

Later.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 552
My Rantz: Thanx - got your comments on the Orbs thread - and answered there.

OK, OK - my speaker "surgery" is a cause for high hilarity, and more than a little tut-tutting by some. (double grin) But the liddle RS speakers Do sound better now - though obviously not as good as the surround speakers used by most of you. (Ghia excepted, of course!)

I've heard so many great comments about the Orbs, that I may eventually have to buy some - I think they give you some exchange-time?

I'll try to post a pic of our listening area, so you can see my space-problems with speakers any larger than the ones I now have. Mer, especially does NOT want speakers the size of the Polks "cluttering up" her living area. Sigh.

Waiting for the B&Ws - SO HARD! Hope they get shipped out today - so that I don't get angst-dust all over the house for too many more days! My problem is that of a typical Amerikan - when I buy it, I want it NOW! Or maybe even yesterday!

More anon. . .

Silver Member
Username: Black_math

Post Number: 203
If you go to Boulder you must stop by the Ramsey's estate.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

"Almost 54 and senility is setting in!"

Memory is the second thing to go. I can't remember the first. It might be tweeters.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 553
JV - It WAS tweeters - only they used to be called something else. Can't remember what. . .

Well - Mer suggested that we post the Polks on Audiogon - and I had to agree. IF for some reason they don't sell, we'll try something else - but Mer says she does NOT want them as surrounds in the living room. I think that pretty well sums up her feelings!

Rick: Unless this forum settles down, and Ghia returns to her senses, perhaps a prayer circle is called for? With you as leader, of course, sir!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 554
To all: The picture speaks for itself - this is why Mer does not want large speakers used as surrounds. She likes her "open space."

Upload

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2162
HELP NEEDED PLEASE!

powerline conditioners and ground loop isolaters?

Anyone have any expertize on these things?

I believe ground loop issues are usually a 60hz buzz/humm or noise from your speakers.

I believe powerline conditioning is clicks pops or other nasty noises when
components switch on or off or different sources.

I ask this because I believe my house has some pretty crappy power and has
been like this since weve moved in and I don't have the cash for an electritian
to put in a new box and or rewire the whole house.

I've ran 2 dedicated lines from the electrical box to my audio setup!

but I get clicks and pops when other things in the house come on fridge/tv/ac/microwave
or other things switching inputs. sometimes it's rather loud on my system and I
loose sound for a couple seconds. Only seems to happen on my surround setup with
all the amps going. use to happen with reciever also. I've tried cheater plugs
and monster audio power distrobution boxes and a $100 one from radio shack and abc wharehouse.

I've tried removing cables and putting things on different curcuits in the house.
I'm kinda at a loss and wondering if I may need or could benefit from some line conditioning!

Anyone else have these issues and or resolve for this or thoughts on these devices?
Am I screwed unless I bring in an electritian?

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 783
Larry,

I will most certainly pray for the child.......

Silver Member

Post Number: 443
Larry,

I have a similar HT setup using KEF eggs on stands flanking our sofa as rear speakers. They hardly take up any space and look good (I know how much that means you and Mer). The Orbs in a similar setup should do the trick. My, you are busy these days.

Kegger,

Sorry, I'm not an electrical expert, but I'll give it a shot anyway. Have you tried one of those back-up power supplies made for computers, ATC makes 'em, that maintain a steady current when there are dips in the electrical supply? Or you could have the entire audio system run on batteries! Good luck figuring it out.

So, is the Anthem preamp the best you've heard in your system so far?

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 555
Brother Rick: thank you, sir, for your kindness on the lady's behalf. I'm sure that, in the end, she'll be happier. Hmmm. . .

Two Cents: "Kef eggs?" Hey - I once had wonderful Kef 104/2 speakers - which I loved, but gave up so Mer and I could try to kill ourselves out on the ocean. Mmmmmmmmm. . .

I'll have to look up the "eggs." They sound like they'd really do the trick - good company! I've read a LOT about the new Orbs, and they seem to get new rave reviews every week. Not sure why, they seem to be 3-inch cones in an - well - "egg."

I recently got the liddle surround stands - and like them a lot, so don't want to get rid of them. The Orbs would simply screw into the top bracket and look a lot better than the RS speakers!

Thanx for your input, 2C - appreciate it. And, oh yes, I AM busy these days! (grin) (nurse, nurse, where's the scalpel? Oops!)

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Oops? Are we to call you "Knuckles" from now on?

Ground loops (a solid 60Hz signal) are a result of the various components in a system being at different ground potential relative to one another. As systems get more complex, the chances of a ground loop increase. Cable TV is notorious for introducing a ground loop. The best solution for ground loop problems is unplugging pieces until you find the problem piece(s) then reconfiguring the system until every piece is seeing the same ground. Often this can be done by running a ground wire to the center screw of the wall plate. Sometimes the only solution is to run an actual earth ground with everything tied to the grounding post.

Problems with appliances generating noise through the system can also be tied to ground path problems as this is the common component in the electrical system in the house. AC noise from appliances is higher in frequency than a ground loop, often the AC noise will be around 1kHz or higher. As an add on soultion you need the best EMI and RFI filter you can find. Isolation transformers will normally remove this noise since the noise will not travel from primary to secondary. How big a transformer you want to buy will depend on your budget. Some isolation transformers sold in audio shops will cost more than having an electrician rewire your home. And, though the devices used on computers are normally not a good choice for audio due to the different needs of current draw, the one thing constant from computer to audio is still - garbage in, garbage out. If the AC into the house has serious problems, you will only be placing a band aid on the situation with an isloation transformer. You want to make every effort to get the best AC into the house before you can see the real resluts of an isolation transformer. After the AC is in the best shape possible, you can start with filters that go on the refrigerator, dishwasher and washer/dryer. Check hardware stores or appliance repair outlets for this. The next step would be putting a transformer on the audio system. My best experience has been with Panamax components on the moderately priced products. From there you can decide how much you want to spend; $1200-1500 for a large transformer is not uncommon and most shops will tell you about the benefits of hooking two units in parallel. These transformers will eleiminate the noise and take care of a small amount of over and undervoltages. Because they also act as power reservoirs and lower the resistance of the circuit, they will give a system punch that the lower priced transformers can't achieve. If the problem of over/under is severe in your specific situation, you should address the electric provider. If the lights dim when the refigerator compressor comes on, you need tofirst make certain the correct voltage is actully making into the service panel. Thta's the responsibility of the electric provider up to the meter. After that you will need an electrician to rewire the service panel for higher amperage. 200 amps is pretty much standard in new construction with many people building homes with 500 amp boxes. A true dedicated line comes from a isolated service panel that isn't tied to the main box. A line from a circuit breaker with nothing but audio components hung on it will be the next best, and substantially lower cost, option. That connection does share common components with the rest of the house and has a common ground path to all breakers.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Larry - wait ... yeah, Larry, what was tweeters?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

1963: U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara declares: "The war in Vietnam is going well and will succeed."

1966: U.S. planes resume bombing of North Vietnam after a 37-day pause.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1342
Larry,

Re: you photograph.

Oh dear! Well, I see you have no rear room for rear speakers - they should (from what I have read) at least be a little behind the listening position (110 degrees) so I see your problem.

Yes, if you could get speakers on trial that would be best - bad to get stuck with something that doesn't do what you expect.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2770
I agree with MR. Larry, move the sofa forwards and put the Polks where the white plastic things are now. Leave the tweeters in the Polks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1343
John,

Apparantly Mer has laid down the law and Larry is getting rid of the Polks as they are simply too big for their room as surrounds. He is thinking 'Orbs' or the Kef 'Eggs' as I told him how happy you are with them as a center. Maybe you could offer some advice/description for him.

How's the 'settling in' going? Everyone happy?

Cheers

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2163
2c:

"So, is the Anthem preamp the best you've heard in your system so far?"

Yes but keep in mind I've not had any really exotic preamps in my own system.
I've had 3 solid state ones a b&k a parasound and a kenwood.
As far As tube goes the only newer one I've had is the dared
(which after tube upgrades and a couple caps truly sounds nice!)
Then you got the older dynacos and eico I have that sound old (no new mods)

So yes it's better then I've had but is what I've had a good test is the question.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2164
"A line from a circuit breaker with nothing but audio components hung on it will be the next best, and substantially lower cost, option. That connection does share common components with the rest of the house and has a common ground path to all breakers."

Yah that's what I got. (did that myself) but that's about as far as I go!

Yes my lights do dim when the ac or heat comes on.
I don't have the time or money right now for an electritian to wire me up
a better system then I have now. But it is and has been on the to do list.
So for now I was thinking of a decent line conditioner.
I made a few calls and a local place has what looks to be a great price
on one from Cuttler-Hammer that's 15amps and retails at almost $700
for $250 shipped and should be here by thursday.

I would definatly like to rewire this place but if this unit works I figure
it's better than not doing anything at all about it.
And even if I do some electrical work this still may be a useful piece of gear!
Just hope it does the job for now!

Silver Member

Post Number: 444
Kegger,

A while ago you mentioned that you lusted after the Audio Research SP16 preamp. I've been doing a lot of research on preamps and found that the earlier ARC preamps are just as good if not better than their newer units. Specifically in order of quality: SP-10, SP-8 and SP-6 (apparently only the even-numbered models are any good). The SP-8 can be bought used for less than a grand, but should have some of the passive parts replaced.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 557
John A. - simply put, sir, Mer says "no sofa moving." Well. . .

The B&W seller says he got my check today and "will ship the speakers by Wednesday." How's that for speedy service!? Sigh. . .

Two Cents - how much does a pair of the KEF "eggs" cost? A pair of the Orbs is $219 plus $9.00 shipping. Just wondering. . .

Getting some response to the Polk ad - am sending out some pics tomorrow. We'll see. . . One chap posted me on e-mail that he thought the price was "right," but he wanted black, not cherry, speakers. OK

Have a peaceful night, all. . .

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2165
2c you may be on to something.

That sounds something simular to what the dealer mentioned to me.
He said until the sp16 came along. And come to think of it, it's the only
newer one in his shop. From what he had to say and I've heard, that is one
heck of a preamp. If you look at the front of that unit it's quite different
from the rest of there preamps. So they had to do some new designs at least
in some regard and suposably have made a very nice unit in the process.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

2/1/1964: Indiana Governor Welsh declares the song 'Louie Louie' by the Kingsmen POR-NO-Graph-IC, wants it banned. Stations say it's impossible to figure out the lyrics from 'the unintelligible rendition as performed,' but Welsh claims his 'ears tingle' when he hears the song.

Silver Member

Post Number: 445
I recnetly stumbled across this website, which is a good antidote to the prostitution that goes on at Stereophile and TAS: www.high-endaudio.com

Larry, I'm not sure how much a pair of KEF eggs costs, but probably more than the Orbs. Also, have you checked out the Gallo Nucleus Micro? It also has gotten great reviews.

Anonymous

HEY GOT KIDS OR GRANDKIDS.Just enter cell number and get a free ringtone or game.JAMSTER RINGTONES

Gold Member

Post Number: 2771
My Rantz,

Thank you for enquiring. We are all doing fine. It is a bit like being on holiday. Except I have less free time. I do not get so much time to listen to music. We are living in a small apartment with just one combined dining/reception room. It is good. No neighbours are within earshot. Well, none has complained, yet. It is a great, lively, interesting, cosmopolitian area. My stereo system with speakers on plant stands sounds excellent. The room is time-shared with meals and family members who watch TV.

Larry,

KEF "Eggs" are small speakers made of die-cast aluminium with a bass refex port and the tweeter mounted inside the bass-midrange unit so that the two drivers share one axis (KEF's "Uni-Q" design). As MR says, I have just one, as the centre speaker, in the old place. It does a good job. The idea is to use five plus active sub for a 5.1 system, but they can also be used as high-quality centres and surrounds. They are small and cute, can be mounted on stands or on the wall or ceiling. I guess they are in the region of $150-200 each. You will find many US dealers.

Other makers e.g. B&W have similar designs, now. I am not sure how much KEF "Eggs" compare, the latest being the KEF KHT 2005.2.

Even just for stereo, I personally would move the listening chair/sofa away from the wall somewhat.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1344
John A,

Glad to hear all is fine and that you seem to have found a nice area in which to re-settle. Obviously, you ARE busy lately otherwise we'd see more posts from you. Keep them coming when you can - the old dogs need to keep their minds active. ears pricked and tails wagging :-)

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 558
John A. - thanks so much for the KIF links, and info. I'm still not sure which way I'm going to go, but Mer says "no" to anything "large." Sigh.

Will inform all of whatever is decided. First, we have to sell the Polks on Audiogon. Yep.

More anon. . .

Anonymous

I am starting a new site. Please visit
free cell phone ringtone

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 560
John A. - you surely know I meant "KEF," not KIF, in my posting. Sigh. It's called Olde Age. Yep.

No B& W shipment today - sigh. Hope the guy gets them shipped Wednesday! Waiting is a drag! But y'all know how that is. . .

I'm about "researched out" on surround speakers, and think I'll just leave well enough along, at least until I get the B&Ws all settled in. Still leaning towards some smallish ones - for Mer's sense of style as much as for my sense of good sound. Compromise? I think you spell that M A R R I A G E if I'm not mistaken. Hmm. . .

More anon. . .

Gold Member

Post Number: 2772
Thanks, MR. Yes, I am busier these days. But I will continue to read this thread, and contribute when I can. I think we have to find a more permanent residence before I start messing with the simple but very effective slimmed-down system we now use. The thing I miss most is the turtable. Also, I have tried some active computer speakers to get 4.0 and they are not at all bad for movies; I need to extend the cables; one is the active one for both channels, and you connect the other to it with a single RCA cable, which is currently too short to be useful, restricting where they can be located, even in a smallish room.

Larry, I am in favour of marriage. Its demise puzzles me; it seems to me to be a natural state for humans.

Another thing that puzzles me is the growth-industry of ringtones. I require a ringtone to inform me when my phone is ringing: no more, no less. I seem to be in a small minority on this!

Best wishes.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 561
John A. - All you have to do, sir, is to be in a store when, say, a dozen cell phones "ring" all at the same time to understand the great love affair with "individual rings." Sigh. Yep, even Mer and I have a cell phone that plays a sorta chime-tune. A simple "ring" seemed somehow effete! Our cellphone, I read, offers something like two dozen "alerts," from Beethoven's 9th Symphony to ring-ring. But yes, I'd be quite happy with one simple "ring" for every phone.

Mer and I are - as you know - proponents of Rick's "simple elegance" lifestyle. Thus, to avoid noise-pollution in our humble manse, we surgically removed one of the two "dings" in our front doorbell. We get either a "ding" or a "dong," can't remember which. But it cuts noise by half - and we still get to the door! (grin)

Our telephones in-house have rather muted, "British" two-chirp rings. Very civilized.
Yet still intrusive, sir.

To all: thanks for the links to various brands of surround speakers. On the face of it, the "Orb" speakers appear to be a direct knock-off of the Gallo Nucleus Micro speakers. Hmmm. . . But at a far lower price. Hmmm times two. Because Orb only sells on the Internet?

Hoping that the B&Ws get shipped today. Sigh. Impatience is a sin, isn't it Brother Rick?

More anon. . .

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2170
Well I found "kinda" my issue with the spikes on my surround system.
I changed my digital output cable from my dvd player to an optical verse
a coax and the problem is gone. so I got some ground issue through coax
or something like that. But for now it works fine.

The simptum again was when a power spike would happen in my home I would get
a click/pop noise in my system and the prepro would loose the digital signal
from the dvd player and in turn no sound for a couple seconds. It seems that
it does not happen using the optical connection verse the coax!

So more will be investigated but for now were working with no issues.
(still get the ocasional little noises but very very infrequent that a good
power conditioner will more than likely resolve but if not nothing to worry about)

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Kegger - I'd make a call to BK.

Larry - How does Mer feel about speakers mounted up high on the wall or in-ceiling speakers? If they were mounted up high, would she accept a larger speaker enclosure if it blended with the wall? Is she accepting to the idea of a small subwoofer for the rear channels?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

1932: First world disarmament convention opens, Geneva, Switzerland.

Silver Member

Post Number: 446
"I'd make a call to BK"

Burger King?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

If you prefer.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2171
Yah I called b&k the other day when I really started to look into the issue
and they wanted some more info.

They seem to be on the same suspision as myself, a ground issue. I'll get it
figured out but at least for now it works good.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1345
Old Dogs,

I told you how my views on cable altered somewhat after replacing 10 guage monster with some Kimber wire. Well, another tweak I performed yesterday moved the 'sound' another small step toward whatever it is we try to move our sound to and in this case it was an even more accurate, clean, crisp high end than I had perceived from the cable change. Again the difference was subtle but immediately noticeable. After reading a post describing this operation, I removed the gold plated bridge straps between the high/low speaker binding posts of the speakers and replaced them with some of the 10 guage speaker wire. Can anyone tell me if this improvemnet is because the gold plated connectors are usually made with a low quality plated metal or is there some other reason? Please don't tell me the change is pyschological or I'll go nuts :-)

Before the changing the cable and altering the bridging material between the binding posts, I didn't really consider I could gain an improvement in what I was hearing in our music. Well, it seems experimenting pays dividends sometimes!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 787
Rantz,

......NOPE.......... you're not crazy. That is a pretty common tweak for audiophiles. Replace the inferior quality jumper plates for a better quality connection. The same reason the Kimber cable sounds better than the Monster.

Cheers!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us