Wife Acceptance Factor increases for silver -- lower-end receiver suggestions?

Anonymous

I am looking to finally make the leap into home cinema. I have Spousal Approval for a small expenditure on an AV receiver to start this ball rolling. The budget is less than CAD 1000, which (despite the actual exchange rate) translates to USD 600-700, depending on which manufacturer you ask. Although some nice deals seem possible on US websites, I would prefer to buy in Canada for various reasons, and I want something that will work well for music, with occasional HT use.

The real hitch is that the wife wants something silver, while I want something NAD (and, of course, the titanium finish models are not available here in Canada). Harman/Kardon's new models looked promising until I found out how much they gouge in Canada. I thought about the NAD L70 DVD-Receiver, but don't really want to go that route. I did find one website that listed a Cambridge Audio 540R 6.1 Receiver, but with no details, and the manufacturer's own site does not mention it. Anyone know more about that one? Or have any other ideas?

Anonymous

Here is the link where I found the Cambridge Audio 540R AV Receiver, in case anyone is interested. There is also the 540V DVD-Receiver. I found that if you save the picture and view it outside of your browser, you will get a much larger image (2362x961 JPEG).

http://www.uptownaudio.com/camb/camb.htm

Username: Unicronwmd

Post Number: 31
I say get the HK AVR-130. I think their new line look amazing and they sound good too.

This might be cheap enough for you.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3070973816&category=39794

Anonymous

Thanks for your input. The look of the new H/K line has definitely grown me, and the wife has also given Royal Assent. However, H/K prices in Canada are insane. It's like they apply the exchange rate twice to go from USD to CAD.

Unless an alternative presents itself, I will likely buy a NAD. I've been a happy NAD user for nigh on 20 years now, and if it wasn't for a certain someone's silver fixation there would be no question. There is even a dealer not too far away (I live in a rural area, so not everything is easy to get to).

Mike C
Unregistered guest
The Panasonic SA-XR45 comes in silver and sounds fantastic when fed a digital signal. Much better than the HK AVR85 it replaced, especially for 2 channel music.

Username: Hawk

Post Number: 143
Marantz 5400. Comes in silver and it will come closer to the NAD in sound than any other brand.

Alternatively, get an NAD and have the front panel sprayed or have a machine shop cut you a new one (aluminum). I have known people who have done this, believe it or not.

Username: Stone

Post Number: 23
Marantz models come in silver in Canada? I thought they were only available in Europe. How about in the States? I like that all silver look.

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 149
One of the great lines in the Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy concerned market researchers insisting no-one should be allowed to invent the wheel until they had finished their survey to find out which colour people would want it to be. I guess am lucky with my tolerant and sensible wife. We are just discussing a TV upgrade and I think I am even making progress about getting a projector...

Anon: I recommend the NAD T742/743. If colour is an issue, Sonys and Yamaha use to be jet black, quite strong and shiny looking. NAD grey is completely different: matte, retrained and unobtrusive. But the issue is the sound!

Username: Goose

Post Number: 1
Thanks all for the further input (this is Anonymous, come out of hiding).

Mike C.: I have heard that the digital path amplifiers are not quite there yet, but I have never listened to one, and will give it a shot (if I can find somewhere that stocks them).

Hawk: I have not been able to find any info confirming that the Marantz comes in silver in Canada, but I will keep looking at that option. A custom front panel is an interesting idea, but I doubt that it will come to that!

John A.: the wife acknowledges that it has to make me happy too, so colour is not the over-riding concern, but I feel obliged to at least try to find something that will make up both happy!

At this point I am still leaning towards a NAD, but a possible contender is the new Cambridge Audio model (see attached image, if this works). If that turns out to be a good one then I will likely go with that - inputs are a bit limited for some, perhaps, but will be fine for me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 148
Andrew:

Here is a budget buster, but worth investigating. Check out the Arcam DIVA AVR-200, another English brand built in China. I read an equipment review about a year ago in one of the English audio magazines and they said it was built in the same factory and same assembly line as the NAD 752. Uses many of the same parts. I know this baby come in silver and it is quite nice with an excellent sound. Here is the link to the Canadian distributor:

http://www.emerald-audio.com/

I have not heard the Cambridge receiver, but I have heard the Arcam I would recommend the Arcam if you can get it near your budget. Cambridge has a reputation with their integrated amps of having a very pleasant, albeit "soft" sound. It is not nearly as dynamic sounding as an NAD. Definitely worth checking out, however.

Good luck!

Post Number: 2
(This is Andrew AKA Anon, now with everything sorted out so that my user name shows up where I expected it to ...)

I did look up the Arcam AVR-200, but at a list price of $1895 here they are so far out of my budget that I have not considered them further. I do know that the T751 and the AVR-100 are essentially identical under the skin (I've seen photos to prove it - the AVR had a toroidal power supply, but aside from that it was not obvious which was which). I would not be at all surprised if the T752 and the AVR-200 were also alike.

I hope to get to see and hear a Cambridge receiver soon. They are due out in Canada this month, as I understand it. That picture I tried to attach didn't make it through - it was a scanned info sheet sent to me by a dealer.

I am surprised how few silver receivers there are in this market segment. I could get any number of cheap "mass market" receivers in silver, but just about everything else seems to be black (or close enough to it to offend my wife's eye).

Silver Member

Post Number: 156
Goose:

I would greatly appreciate your insights on the Cambridge receiver. Please post your thought here when you can. Thanks.

Sorry about the price on the Arcam--I was thinking in terms of the US price, which is considerably less.

Audiophile
Unregistered guest
Well Andrew Gray/Goose/Anonymous or should we call you the guy who cannot decide on a name. Anyhow I myself am a proud Canadian in the Toronto Ontario area. You asked for a component that will serve you as a home theater and music system, however music performence is very important for you. This question has been asked by many many audiophiles, the answer is it is very hard to get both in one package. Not to mention you have a *VERY* limited budget witch increases the chances of you not finding such a item. At the purposed budget I would forget about getting anything that will serve your musical needs. All you will get in that price range is a company's product that will have the corners cut on hence to lower the price.
However if you are honestly considering something that sounds at all good with music forget any of the mass market crap like kenwood, panasonic, h/k, (notice I did not capitalize thier names this is done for a reason) these are great for someone who cares not about the way the music sounds, or just plain doesn't have the ear for it.
Somone else had mentioned Arcam Diva avr200 witch I myself have had. This is the *ONLY* option out there and unless your willing to spend more money. Not only would you need to look around at EVERY review this unit has, but all you need to do is listen to one being a audiophile and what you stated you need you will not leave without the unit. Not only that but the new avr300 is comming out so the price of this unit is dropping and will continue to do so in the next while. Look for a used unit witch will drop the price even further like local papers buy and sell or ebay or audiogon is selling some cheap ones. You say you cannot afford this unit yet you are talking to your wife about a projector, ect. Save your money if you do like your music and buy the avr200 used.
Oh and one other thing you made a comment about the Arcam being the exact same as the nad's, this remark is so untrue and if you did more research or even listened to the units you would know this. I mysef have owend both units and you need not open the chasis to hear the difference. Not to mention Arcam as a whole is alot better company to deal with. Oh and the avr-200 comes in a very nice silver finish, for your wife of course ...... not that I am implying you wanted the silver finish and tryed to frame your wife for this.

Good luck

Regards,

Audiophile

Audiophile
Unregistered guest
Well Andrew Gray/Goose/Anonymous or should we call you the guy who cannot decide on a name. Anyhow I myself am a proud Canadian in the Toronto Ontario area. You asked for a component that will serve you as a home theater and music system, however music performence is very important for you. This question has been asked by many many audiophiles, the answer is it is very hard to get both in one package. Not to mention you have a *VERY* limited budget witch increases the chances of you not finding such a item. At the purposed budget I would forget about getting anything that will serve your musical needs. All you will get in that price range is a company's product that will have the corners cut, hence the lower price.
However if you are honestly considering something that sounds at all good with music forget any of the mass market crap like kenwood, panasonic, h/k, (notice I did not capitalize thier names this is done for a reason) these are great for someone who cares not about the way the music sounds, doesn't have the ear for it, or just cannot justify spending the money for audio equipment.
Somone else had mentioned Arcam Diva avr200 witch I myself have had. This is the *ONLY* option out there, unless your willing to spend more money. This unit has anyone who listened to it, or reviewed it applauding for the exact same strenghs that you disired for your new reciever. Not only that but the new avr-300 is comming out so the price of this unit is dropping and will continue to do so in the next while. Look for a used unit witch will drop the price even further like local papers, ex. buy and sell or ebay or audiogon is selling some cheap ones. You say you cannot afford this unit yet you are talking to your wife about a projector, ect. Save your money if music playback is important and buy the avr-200 used. IF IT IS ABSOLUTLY OUT OF THE QUESTION ONLY BECAUSE OF THE MONEY THEN BUY THE ARCAM AVR-100 WITCH IS ALMOST THE EXACT SAME EXACEPT FOR A FEW THINGS INCLUDING BETTER BASS MANAGEMENT AND PLII. This unit will be even cheaper and still be better with music then any other reciever out there in that price bracket. Oh and one other thing you made a comment about the Arcam being the exact same as the nad's, this remark is so untrue and if you did more research or even listened to the units you would know this. I mysef have owend both units and you need not open the chasis to hear the difference. Not to mention Arcam as a whole is alot better company to deal with. Oh and the avr-200 comes in a very nice silver finish, for your wife of course ...... not that I am implying you wanted the silver finish and tryed to frame your wife for this.

Good luck

Regards,

Audiophile

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
I thank you for your response, but have to say that I am rather taken aback at your tone. You are certainly welcome to your opinions, but I hope that in future you find a more mature way of expressing them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 265
Hey Goose:

I got my NAD T753 and, low and behold, the power button is black--not green! Hope that isn't a problem for you--but I thought I remembered you asking about it last week, and now that I know with certainty I can comment on it (never paid any attention to it before).

BTW, as I have observed before, the Arcam Diva is a very nice unit, but it is essentially an NAD 752 as you suspected. Made in the same factory, on the same assembly line, using most of the same parts, as the DIVA 200--but for $400 less here in the US. Just one of those really interesting facts one can learn on the internet (I did!). However, as you know, the NAD doesn't come in silver. I actually wrote NAD an e-mail about that last fall and they wrote back to tell me that they have not detected that there is enough demand for it in North America. It is too bad as the "Titanium" finish on their L70 is really quite nice looking.

Enjoy!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Hawk, I always liked the green button, it was a subtle accent on the grey/black finish. I shall mourn its passing, but it will not be deterred by it's absence.

Silver Member

Post Number: 176
Yes, the button is black. Perhaps grey. I checked in my local dealer yesterday. Sorry for saying otherwise. What colour does it glow when on?

Hawk - congratulations! How many times have you written that for others? The T753 is a great choice, just what I would choose, and I wish you and your family years of listening and viewing pleasure. But please report whether the unit is up to specification as regards hum etc!

Best wishes.

Silver Member

Post Number: 270
John A.:

It is wonderful to trade posts with you again! I must say I am a bit overwhelmed by this receiver--it is so big and heavy--it is 10 lbs. heavier than my Denon! I had not seen it before ordering it, believing it was just a revision of the 752, which I had wanted, but was unable to save up enough to buy before it was discontinued. But the 753 is an inch taller, about three inches deeper, and about 10 lbs. heavier than the 752, so I wasn't prepared for what I found when I opened the box. I think it is fair to say it is everything I wanted and more.

As I write this, I am listening to Joni Mitchell's "Court and Spark" and I have never heard the piano sound so true or Joni's voice so clear. Same is true for John Cowan's tenor vocal on the New Grass Revival's "Live" CD. I was listening to that earlier. Bela Fleck's banjo has more bite than ever before. I know I need to get this set up to do HT, but I am just having so much fun rediscovering my CD collection, it may take awhile.

And no, I have yet to hear any hum . . . or fan . . . or drop-outs. . . In fact, I think NAD can be proud of this unit--the build quality is absolutely fantastic.

Warmest regards

Silver Member

Post Number: 179
Hawk,

Thanks. What a pleasure to read your remarks!

New posters may not realise your recent purchase is long-awaited, and not just by you!

Yes, it is great to hear familar things as if for the first time.

I will keep "touching wood". Remember the dreaded hum is supposed to come in surround modes. Occasional bulletins will be greatly appreciated by many, certainly by me.

I do hope all works OK. It should. And you deserve no less.

Best regards.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Hawk, I second John A.'s comments in all respects!

Further to the Arcam/NAD similarities, this site has pictures of the internals (and externals) of both the AVR100 and the T751:

http://www.smr-group.co.uk/components/index.html

Note how the internals and back panels look very much the same. Indeed, the pages for the T751 and the AVR100 actually reference each other! This T715 review also makes reference to this similarity:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/frame.html?http://www.homecinemachoice .com/testbench/Amplifiers/NAD/NADT751.shtml

Here, just for comparison, is a link to an earlier AVR100 review by the same reviewer:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/frame.html?http://www.homecinemachoice .com/testbench/Amplifiers/Arcam/ArcamDIVAAVR100.shtml

I have not seen similar evidence for joint heritage of the later NAD models. Indeed, my impression is that the AVR200 is an evolution of the AVR100 (various reviews state this), while the T752 seems to have more incommon with the T761 than the T751, which seems more like the T742. Likewise, the T743 has much in common with the T752. If correct, I would assume that this "trickle-down" trend continues up the line. How this might relate to the Arcam development I do not know.

Silver Member

Post Number: 180
Thanks, Goose! Arcam is a great make. It would make sense for there to be similarities. The design philosophies of NAD and Arcam have always been close.

Hawk, your post, a real pleasure, also reminds me of a long-running discussion with Gregory, (formerly G-Man).

Gregory's position, put crudely (and he puts it well) is that amps do not generally make much difference to the sound, as long as they have the power to deliver without distortion, i.e. the headroom to drive the speakers, a much more important consideration. I cannot find fault with the argument.

Yet, here you are, happy as can be, hearing for yourself what I have heard, too - same everything, but new amp, and new pleasure in much better sound. Can you subtract the subjective pleasure of ownership, the weight, build quality, the neat power button, etc etc., and still swear it sounds better? Even in stereo? Are you dedicated enough to keep the old Denon nearby for a while and do an A/B receiver comparison?

I am not doubting you at all. But we all know that how we feel affects what we hear and see, and it it sometimes quite difficult to correct for that.....

BTW you can now get 3 double analogue intereconnects and try SACD from the Sony player into the Ext. 5.1.

I am thinking of getting the new T533 player for DVD-A and component video. Since we have a new and excellent T532, it is hard to convince a wife about things like this! We are also looking at projectors, thanks ecoustics forum. The price threshold I think we will be unable to cross for some time is into DVI (learned from you). Here in Europe, at least, DVI is only on quite expensive players and projectors. I get the impression this is not so "over there".

No long reply expected; you have important listening to do. I particularly enjoyed Joni Mitchell in days gone by. Amazing influence she had, if you listen to half of female vocalists today.

Silver Member

Post Number: 181
BTW Goose, it might amuse you, and Mrs Goose, that the NAD T533 is available here at the moment only in silver - we shall have to wait for till mid-March to get it in grey. To adapt Mark Twain, two nations (three, actually) divided only by their prefered colour of audio equipment.... Strange.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
John, I do actually prefer the grey myself, but grey just doesn't "match" anything. At least I am not burdened with the task of trying to match the brass accents that prevail elsewhere in the house!

It would be interesting to see the reaction I would get if I was to bring home a Linn Classik Movie Di in one of their less usual shades (see http://www.classik.com). After all, if I am going to clash (literally and otherwise) with the home decorator, then I should do it in style. I even have two Linn dealers nearby. However, I suspect in that case the money issue would over-shadow the colour one.

Silver Member

Post Number: 277
Goose:

I think I have figured it out for you (I really hate thinking of these things when I'm alrady in bed--but if I didn't get up and write this, I might forget it).

You can get the NAD in the silver with just a little effort. Now, if you simply buy the NAD, in its North American garb, i.e., grey, I think you might be able to order a new faceplate in silver as a replacement for the one that comes with your receiver. After all, they are distributing NADs in silver faceplates in the rest of the world--they have to have some spare parts. Or, if the Canadian distributor cannot get it done, I wonder if John A.'s dealer in England could order one for you and ship it (for years I ordered clothing directly from Harrod's without a hitch, simply using my Mastercard). It would be a very easy thing to do.

These faceplates are simple to replace with a screwdriver . . .

Username: Northexposure

Post Number: 6
Goose - I too am a Canadian looking to build a system and competiting with a budget, the outrageous markeup and limited availability here and my wife's sensibilities. In fact, my budget for a receiver is about the same as yours. Let me know how you fare and feel free to email me. Perhaps we can benefit from our shared experiences. BTW, I live in London, Ontario.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Post Number: 186
John A.----Oh No. Don't tell me I am at least partially to blame for bringing you over to the "darkside" on most amplifier sound :-)

But I do agree with you on the subjective, particularly with amps and receivers. Some equipment, be it looks, reviews, familiarity, solid power envelope, or whatever often makes one feel great in ownership. On a more humorous statement of human nature--once we get what we have dreamed about and wanted, within a while we want something else. Either the next so-called improvement or soemthing else entirely. Most people--myself included--are like this.

The only bad point is when you get what you dreamed about and then get buyers remorse. Hopefully that doesn't happen too often. Although I can remember a few times when it has happened to me. Often the dream and the chase is more satisfying than the attainment, unless you win the multi-million lottery :-)

Regarding the color and design of equipment. No doubt, some is a lot more appealing than others, regardless of performance. Although I always thought grey to black went with most everything. It is about as neutral a color--or non-color as you can get. I have a black Pioneer Elite 49Txi upstairs and an aluminum block (silver) Aragon amp and pre-amp downstairs. Both myself and my female compatriot like both. But I never argue with her about the color of small or large appliances in the kitchen or laundry :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Hawk: getting out of bed goes above and beyond the call of duty, so I thank you very, very much for your great idea. There may be issues with buttons and knobs, but surely they can be solved the same way. Definitely worth looking into. Thanks again.

Jon: London, Ontario, must be a relative paradise of audio dealers compared to what I have access to here (southern interior BC), but even I suffer an embarrassment of riches compared to many areas - this is, after all, the second most populous region of the province. I will email you later and grumble about the state of affairs.

Gregory: grey and black just don't match the silver TV, or the silver knobs on the buffet we use to hold up the entertainment gear. Just ask my wife. She worries that the knobs on the kitchen cabinets don't match the bedroom door knobs: one is brass on white, the other - and please don't be too shocked by this - is white on brass! The horror!! :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 186
Gregory,

Kudos to you for psychology, as well as audio knowledge and insight! "The grass is always greener". Or blacker. Or greyer.... I, too, always thought grey and black went with anything.

Goose and Hawk - Richer Sounds (www.richersounds.com) is a UK chain that ships overseas (well they used to - you could e-mail them to check) and handles NAD. But I am not sure I recommend this route because of the power supply issue (220/240 V, 50 Hz, Europe; 110/120 V, 60 Hz, N. America). Another option would be to get the corresponding Arcam, I suppose.

White on brass with brass on white. Good Lord, the end of civilization must be at hand... Goose, you should see our random collection! Personally, I would paraphrase Henry Ford on colour of audio gear....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Henry Ford? I think he works at the local electronics chain store. He only stocks Paradigm speakers in one colour (guess which one), and charges extra for other colours. (To be fair, he says that Paradigm charges him more for those colours.) All of the local stores do this sort of thing, for obvious reasons. Typically they only stock selected models from a given manufacturer's line (e.g., the Wharfedale dealer only stocks the Diamond line), and/or only stock the most popular finishes (see above). If you want something else then be prepared to pay full price, wait weeks for it to come, and hope you like it when it arrives.

On another topic, I am not sure that you perceive the brilliance of Hawk's idea. He is suggesting that I buy a North American spec NAD, then order a replacement faceplate (and presumably buttons, etc.) from somewhere that has silver finish available. The power supply does not become an issue, and the desired silver finish is achieved.

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Post Number: 190
Goose: yeah, I bought the "extra" wood accents for my speakers. (I own Paradigm Reference speakers.) I bought the Cherry, Black, and Maple colours. I've never used the Cherry nor Maple... but... if I ever get married, they should go with ANY furniture! :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 283
Goose:

LOL! ! ! Man, your story sounds familiar.

We moved into a brand new house about 15 months ago and within three months, my wife demanded we change the brass light fixtures in the bathroom that came with the house (and weren't bad looking, either). I told her to find what she liked and she picked out something pretty ornate that is a black powder coated wrought iron with gold leaf trim and antique french glass shades. Looks pretty good, so I say they look great and I install them at her request. Now, however, she is rueing the fact that the bathroom cabinets have brass knobs on them and they don't match the light fixtures! Furthermore, she can't find a knob that matches the light fixtures, either. Oh, well . . .

Silver Member

Post Number: 191
Goose,

Ah, yes, I see. I read Hawk's post too hastily. Sorry, Hawk. Changing the "faceplate" - I think "front panel" might be tricky, there is a lot of stuff mounted on the inside, Changing the buttons would be possible, but a helluva job. Each one is on an IC board.

Anyway, you would end up with a two-tone receiver, like a 1950-60s automobile. Then there might be a question of taste, over-riding even such essential considerations as colour. Unless the dual-tone unit had tail fins, too, in which case you could call it consciously retro, I suppose, and place a few jars of Brylcreem around the place to set the mood.

geekboy, extra wood accents whist still single! That is wonderful foresight. Or chronic indecision. Consider that the latter may not impress a discerning geekgirl.

Silver Member

Post Number: 195
John A: Or Both! Actually, it was foresight only. Basides... how many "discerning" geekgirls do you know?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Hawk: I am glad to hear that I am not alone. I won't even say what she said when the subject of speakers came up (but colour was mentioned).

John A.: are things actually attached to the faceplate? I would have assumed that it was cosmetic only, and that the real guts of the machine were physically attached to a chassis. Not that it is particularly important. I think that if I buy NAD then it will just stay grey.

geekboy: I do not know what wood accents you are referring to. How do you change them?

Silver Member

Post Number: 196
Goose: On the Paradigm Reference Eclipse/BPs, you can change the bottom and top wood "accents". They are about 1.5" thick and accentuate the all black "sock" on the towers. The tops are EASILY and readily replaceable, but just lifting them off. This also exposes the strings for the "sock" which you can change as well.

The bottom is another story. You need a tool to remove them. The speakers are also 43kg (95lbs) each... so removing the bottoms isn't something you do everyday. :-) I've had the black accents on them since I got them. The Cherry box has never been opened and the Maple... I opened it once.

Silver Member

Post Number: 193
Goose,

I admit it would be possible to change the "faceplate" but it is the side of the box I would least like to try to change. The display and various boards are sandwiched in quite tighly right behind it, with a maze of cables from the controls to the boards inside. The back panel would be much less of a problem. I suppose only the really obsessive cares about the colour of that!

geekboy, can't advise on geekgirls, sorry. Probably geek should not marry geek, they will compete, and not complement, each other.

I have no experience with replacable wood accents, seems a bit precious, to be honest.

The real bone of contention in our household is keeping the covers on speakers. I think the covers always absorb just a hint of treble. Dear wife points out that the speakers look hideous without them. Ah, but that is a matter of taste, say I, while sound is sound, and, anyway, we listen in near darkness. Wife (and kids) conclude I am party unhinged, a view in which I can see some merit. The clincher is that the covers protect the cones from small, probing fingers. That's good enough, and a compromise I gladly make.

I have recently put the biggish surrounds on wall brackets about five feet from the ground, and turned then upside down so the tweeters are more at ear level. Even with covers on they are very intrusive in terms of decor, but sound great. It all depends on whether you actually like to see audio stuff in your room, I suppose!

Audiophile
Unregistered guest
Well goose I am taken back that you where so offended by my opinions, I guess when writing msg's intended for you I will speak the same way as I do with my wife. She like many other women are very sensitive and picking your words carefully helps avoid pointless arguements.
I have told you that I have owned both the Arcam Diva 100/200 and the NAD 752, they may look similar however they do sound quite different. You say that because they chassis is similar, and the power supply is also similar that they must sound the same. That is well quite funny as there is MANY other parts and quite a few that are not similar and changing even the quality of the caps can make a difference in the sound.
Someone else had said also that amps don't sound that different. Well I ask you to go listen to a Wazoo then a Sony.
The point is that you and many others are looking for a very cheap way of getting a really nice *sounding* system that can cater to both Home Theater as well Music. The fact is that it is VERY hard to find such a system, not to mention at such a limited budget. If you are honestly serious about making a system that does sound good I have this suggestion:

1) Buy the best sounding surround reciever to your ears.

2) Go out or use the internet to buy high quality drivers and *MAKE* your own speakers. You will be able to make speakers for cheap that will outperform ANY speakers you can afford on your budget. Not to mention you do not have enough money to buy a surround processor that will make a HUGE difference in sound quality, so the speakers are going to make more of a difference.

I hope you will find your dream system.

Audiophile

Bronze Member
Username: Northexposure

Post Number: 12
Audiophile - You clearly know a lot more about electronics than I do at this stage (which isn't saying much because my knowledge and experience is minimal) but you may want to treat others differently if you want others to hold your opinion in as high as esteem as you do. It seems to me that your basic points may have some validity but your first post implied Goose was either an idiot or didn't care about music and your second post was even more insulting.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us