Speakers to go with Harman Kardon AVR 630

Sree
Unregistered guest
Hello,
May I have some speaker recommondations that goes well with AVR 630 receiver. I have a budget of $1000 to $1500.

Thanks.
Sree

Bronze Member
Username: Sdc

Post Number: 27
Are you looking for 2 speakers or a surround sound set up?

Sree
Unregistered guest
Looking for surround sound speakers. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Stone

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 135
Speakers should be your biggest ticket purchase in audio. They are the most important component in the sound of your system. I had the same budget as you. For me it did not really make sense to spend 700.00 on a very nice receiver then only 1500.00 on a whole H/T set up. If you are only going to put up that amount I would suggest starting with a 3 channel system (300.00 to 500.00 center and the rest on L/R channel speakers)then add the surrounds when you can afford the extra 300.00 to 500.00. That is what I did and now feel I did not compromise the quality of the system. Also the better speakers you buy the more likely you will be able to resell if you see yourself upgrading the next level of audio some day. Just wanted to suggest another option for you.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2266
try this...
Is that budget for speakers only?

http://www.axiomaudio.com/epicmaster.html

Bronze Member
Username: Paulof

Portugal

Post Number: 15
Stone,
The info I have been getting from experts (I'm not one) is quite the oposite, you should spend more money on the source, than amp/receiver and last on the speakers but well you know how theories are...

Sree,
I had quite the same budget as you (plus a 40m2 room to fill) and I chose Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 for the front (huge speakers with 2 woofers of 20cm each), CS for center and 9.1 for surround and I'm quite happy with them, but I'm a novice in audio...

Silver Member

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 136
Its all relative. The source is very important but I wouldn't spend a grand on a CD or DVD player to be played through a 1000.00 home theater speaker system.
Speakers are usually pretty expensive. There are a lot of higher end audiophiles that have speakers that cost 10k a pair being powered by 5k amps and 2k or 3k cd players.

There are speakers that go for half a million for a just pair but there are no half mil CD players (source) that I am aware of.

THOTH
Unregistered guest
No - Stone is right. $$$$ on the speakers - thats what you hear....this has been an accepted fact for ages and it still holds true.

Unregistered guest
The receiver is the main brain of the whole system, if you spend $2000 on speakers, but have a receiver that is not efficient or clean or powerful you will never see the full potential of those high end speakers. A high current clean signal from an efficent receiver or amp will make even half decent speakers sound amazing.

Bronze Member
Username: Cory

Canada

Post Number: 88
I would say there both eqaul(they rely on each other) but the speakers are a tadd more important they are the things that create the sound from energy I find. But do not buy cheap(dollar store) speaker wire it will distroy what you tried to create

mauimusicman
Unregistered guest
PF, the info your getting from the experts is correct. Source is always most important. How can a better set of speakers possibly improve upon a bad signal or reproduce musical notes they are not being sent? All the better speaker will do is more clearly reveal ALL the problems with the source, pre/power amp's, wire, cables etc. Imagine sorting THAT mess out later? Don't trust people here. Some are ok, but most are the blind leading the blind. Another thread says there is no difference in speaker wire.....another obvious lie. Put your money in the source. Then work out towards the speakers. You'll be rewarded musically. Cd players highly rated for the $$ are the Music Hall CD-25 at $600.00 or you can buy a Toshiba 3960 modded player that does dvd too for around $325.00
Good luck....and use some common sense. It goes a long way in this hobby.

edster922
Unregistered guest
Toshiba??? I've never had a bad experience with any of their products (TVs, laptops, etc.), but I didn't expect to hear them mentioned in such a hi-fi context. Whoa!

So what is it exactly about this modified Toshiba that makes it so great? How would it compare with similarly priced CD/DVD players from respected makes like Marantz, HK, Denon, etc.? And where is it sold?

Silver Member

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 148
Here you go. They are supposed to sound great but do not play SACD.
http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Cod e=Tosh_3950_3960&Category_Code=

I think they run another 295.00 for the Superclock 3 mod.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 104
i would think over first what would be easier to replace if somewhere along the way you feel like upgrading. source is very important but if its going to be a real hassle to replace you reciever i would dish out the money for a decent reciever first then go for the speakers. its much easier to wire and unwire speakers when you dont like them. either way be sensible about how much you are spending. hope you find some speakers that you are happy with.

edster922
Unregistered guest
thanks, Stone.

My only experience with hearing the difference between CD players was at a friend's house when he switched from a Sony 300-CD carousel to an obscure audiophile brand CD player that he said retails for about $1200.

Noticeable difference: more detailed & open. But not sure if I'd pay 6 times the money for it. At least not until I had the speakers, receiver, and TV part of the system well squared away.

mauimusicman
Unregistered guest
Edster,
What makes the Toshiba 3950 or 3960 modified so great is simple. It's pretty much straight wired from the DAC's to the output section. Less garbage in the signal path. Holds true with any piece of audio gear. Even speakers.

mauimusicman
Unregistered guest
Stone, that super clock 3 mod is the real deal from what I hear. Most any cd player would benefit from that mod. Remember, cd's and dvd's are clocked differently, so the clock is of utmost importance.

Bronze Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 25
Chicken and Egg. Source or speakers. I pieced my psb speaker surrounds together over 5 yrs and now find my hk woefully inadequate and/or mismatched to the 5 boxes. I called psb and they back nad for their product.Yuck. From hk, they like energy(!?) and axiom in Canada.(ok). Check where you are with hk for local suppliers, or manufacturers,of tested and proven products. As for me, Im going to the Axiom factory for a tour soon, just to meet and pick a few brains. Cheers

Silver Member

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 149
At that price, I would get the Toshiba if it played SACD but it doesn't. I am going to look into an upgrade mod for my DVP-s9000es. Either that or sell it and just get a newer universal player like the Denon 2900 or 2910 to be ready for a digital plasma connection when I finally get one. I keep on hanging on to the Sony since the sound is so good (even without mods).
Looking back at my original post, I should have said speakers are usually the most expensive compared to other equipment, not necessarily the most important. Thus my post regarding why spend so much on the amp and not the speakers.
I will say, that an integrated H/T receiver will go out of date before quality speakers.

Username: Fable

Post Number: 9
I have the AVR 630 too and it sounds great with Ascend Acoustics (CBM and CMT) speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us