PLEASE HELP I NEED ADVICE

Username: Delsole

Post Number: 7
i just bought a 5.1 channel rotel reciever and i need to know a nice set of speakers to get no price limit i need a center 2 floor standing and a set of rear suround sound speakers

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 142
No price limit? Heh. Just get five of these.

http://www.theultimatemonitor.com

Post Number: 8
wat do the go for

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 143
$12,000 per pair plus $3200 a pair for the Linkwitz Transform boxes (bass output management box or BOMB). They are amazing speakers not only for sound quality but for looking cool too and they're magnetically shielded. Karl has been working on these for years.

Bronze Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 64
take a look at MartinLogan or Magnepan. They are some of the best speakers in the industry.

Bronze Member
Username: Stealth_c

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 73
Dont forget Thiel, B&W, etc!!!

Silver Member
Username: Cory

Canada

Post Number: 110
I think I will put my two cents in now, I suggest JBL's Synthesis speakers. If you live in the USA/Canada there are more options then in the UK,etc.... Check it out for your self!

http://www.jblsynthesis.com/products/the_systems.aspx?Language=ENG&Country=US&Re gion=USA

If price really is not a factor and the room is about average size the "system one" will deliver your every need!...IMO

Happy shopping

Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2
I would like to put in a vote for Totem, Dali (Helicon Series), Focal, or Proac. These are fantastic speakers that are great for music but are bullet proof for home theater. If money is an object like it is for me I wouldn't hesitate to look at Paradigm or B&W as both have speakers in several price ranges. I used to have a Rotel AVR (RSX965) and it was fantastic. I put a Rotel RB981 power amp on the front 2 speakers (Paradigm Studio 40's at the time) and used a Paradigm active reference CC with Studio 20's in the rear. I had a Paradigm PW2200 sub for the low end. I have heard a lot of home theaters but not one any more balanced than that one. Oh if I only still had it.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 350
B&W 703 at front, 705 at back, HTM7 centre.

Totem Forest front, Mite back, Model-1 centre

Dynaudio 72SE or 82 front, 52 SE back (or 42Wall if you want to hang on the wall), 122 centre

Naim Ariva or Allae front, N-Sat back, Axess or N-Cent centre

Subs: REL Strata 5, Naim N-Sub (esp. with Naim speakers)

Have fun!
Regards,
Frank.

Anonymous

Well, if price is not an issue then take a look at some of the product from Verity Audio. I'd personnally go with KEF reference series, PHENOMINAL!

HHenry
Unregistered guest
Money may not be an object but what you will use it for will. Is it just for movies, music or both? Secondly how much do you plan to use it or are you getting it to impress someone else. Then if price is no object and your room is large find out what local movie theater setup is and go with that, it's probably JBL. Accurate, direct and enough lows for 99% of the population. Above all, enjoy.

Bronze Member
Username: Xsound

Myrtle Beach, SC United States

Post Number: 30
I would definitely look at the spharon excalibur. check them out here...
http://www.audiofederation.com/catalog/speakers/
and if you do decide to get them, I have an excellent investment opportunity for you!

HHenry is very right about use and room size and all that stuff.
I am afraid to try and make any real suggestions without knowing a little more about how you will use them the room they will be in, and what your listening habits (music style, etc.) are like.

One thing I will share, I have always been intrigued by the ohm Walsh line, and they seem to generate some real devotion from owners.
http://www.ohmspeakers.com/

Post Number: 9
My room is fairly small probly 13x13 i plan on useing it for music and movies i went to a local store wurlitzerhttp://www.wurlitzerstereo.net/and they had paadigm and energy set up and energy c5's sounded better then the paradigm legends

Post Number: 10
I want something under 1300 dollars when i seen some of the prices of the speakers that u guys put up there i was surprised i did not know there were speakers that ewxpensive. out of paradigm and energy speakers wat are the best speaker for 1300 dollar that each of them make

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 146
I thought that might flush you out. Funny part is, all of the speakers listed are quite reasonable when viewed from the "high end audio" point of view. Nobody mentioned the Von Schweikert VR11SE which are in the six figure range.
"His eyes open"

Jayb
Unregistered guest
I don't know about you but Verity Audio's line starts at $18000 American and goes to 80000+. If thats what you call reasonable what do you call expensive! And trust me I know how high it can go!

I posted earlier as anonymous!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 148
??????
Ok, most of the speakers mentioned.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 149
Joseph,
Are you looking at $1300 per speaker, per pair or for a complete set?

Silver Member
Username: Cory

Canada

Post Number: 112
Well if you want just main speakers, you could go with the JBL HT4H ($1100)US a pair

http://www.jblsynthesis.com/products/system_overview.aspx?prod=SYN-HT4-L7&Langua ge=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA

I have the center channel witch is the same as the HT4V's just that the horn is rotated.
If you heard that JBL is harsh witch is true for the lower end series. But HT series is notand comes with amazing imaging and bass.
Check them out!

Jayb
Unregistered guest
In the 1300 price range Polk Audio has IMO some very fine quality, responsive, clear highs, great lows type speakers with a variety of styles in that price and quality range. But that's comming from a BOSE OWNER so go figure. .

REALLY SORRY GUYS BUT I WORK FOR THEM UNFORTUNATLY

Jayb
Unregistered guest
But I can safely say I dont have any of their SUB SAT systems just the good floorstanders and bookshelves

Yamaha RXV-2400
Bose 701 II front
Bose 301 Sonata (limited edition) 1000 pairs worldwide. side surround
Bose 601 IV rear surround
polk audio PSW202 sub
KEF Q6c centre
Rotel dvd
Sony minidisc rec
XBOX

Just thought i"d give you guys an idea of where i'm at RIGHT NOW!
TRUST ME I'd like to be somewhere else! Like MARK LEVINSON WORLD or something!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I guess jus for floor standing speakers for now

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3
Paradigm Studio 60's are unbeatable at 1600.00. Also Vandersteen 2ce is a fantastic speaker at 1750.00 with stands. Either the Paradigm Servo 15 or the Vandersteen sub work. If the budget is tighter the Paradigm Monitor Series offers incredible bang for the buck. I currently have Monitor 5's front, Mini Monitors rear CC370 in the middle and a Paradigm PW2100 sub. It is an excellent system for both music and movies. I have an NAD C162 pre and Hafler 9505 for the front 2 while a Marantz SR5400 handles the multichannel processing. An NAD C542 CD player does my 2 channel music proud while a Marantz DV6400 universal player gives me multichannel options. It is an excellent budget system which gives me great results.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Hey Aurthor how much does the monitors go for

And thanks for the advice

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4
The Paradigm Monitor 5's retail for 579.00 per pair and can be had for less when buying a 5.1 system. You would also need stands as these speakers are a 2 1/2 way large bookshelf model (tweeter, mid bass, and bass drivers). I use the Premier (by Paradigm)stands that are suggested by Paradigm at a cost of 100.00 per pair. The next speaker up in the line is the Monitor 7 which is a floorstander with the same drivers for 799.00. I find the Monitor 5 to be more accurate and musical. I use the Mini Monitor with this speaker because the drivers are the same size. If one were to use the monitor 3's as rears they have a different size bass driver. With the Monitor 5, Mini's, and the CC370 I have a perfect voice match which makes for a better blend.

Bronze Member
Username: Canuckinapickle

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 53
Since you're looking at spending no more than around 1300 take a look at Energy Speaker's (not acoustic energy!) Connoisseur series speakers. Say 2xC-5s as your main L&R; C-C3 Centre; and then depending on the budget either C-1 or C-3 Bookshelfs for your rears. If you want di-pole surrounds they make those too I think. I have this system. I built it over time and love it. One day I'll get a sub but the C-5s go so floor shaking deep anyway that I don't think I need one just yet.

http://www.energy-speakers.com

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5
Energy makes a fine speaker in the Connoisseur series. The great Canadian speaker manufacturers Energy, PSB, and Paradigm all make great bang for the buck speakers. The Energy Connoisseur Series, PSB Image series (recently updated), and the Paradigm Monitor series are comparable. I prefer Paradigm and PSB to Energy though I believe all three to be of equal quality. It's all a matter of personal taste and I urge you to audition them all. If floorstanders are what you are looking for The Energy C5, Paradigm Monitor 7, and the PSB Image T55 are comparable both in price and quality. I would argue that if you intend to get a sub that you should consider the the versions of these speakers with less cabinet such as the Paradigm Monitor 5. They have slightly less bass but are more accurate. In this price range you are not going to get inert cabinets thus the more cabinet the more resonance and the less accurate they are. I would also urge anyone in the market for a low cost speaker solution to be sure to audition the entire multichannel spaeker setup that you are intersted in. Some speaker manufacturers such as B&W (600 and 700 series)aren't as good at matching center channels to their other speakers which leads to a less satisfying listening experience. This the area I believe that Paradigm excels. So to conclude I urge you to audition all the speakers that interest you. Make sure that while auditioning you are using a high quality front end and source. Also take music and movies that you are familiar with.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Hay canuck if i got a nice big room how wood c9's in the front and c'5s in the back and a c-c3 for a center wood that be good also wat kind of reciever do you have

Bronze Member
Username: Canuckinapickle

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 55
Joseph, I'm using a NAD T753 Receiver (70wpc) but my C-5s are powered by the amp section of a NAD C370. Your system of C-9s, C-5s, and a C-C3 sounds like it would be a great one. I know I'd love to have it! Maybe one say i'll upgrade my C-5s to 9s and retire my C-5s to rear speaker duty.

Good luck with your decision!

Justin.s
Unregistered guest
Nobody suggested athena, as-f2 for front will provide nice bass two book shelf for rear and as-c1 for center channel, as-p300 sub. I got the as-f2 and they sound nice but they might be a bit much for your room and the as-p300 pounds pretty good but is a little weak. Plus if you can find athena as-f2 cheap you can build up your set for around 2000 grand maybe a little cheaper if you can get a deal on your speakers. I built my system around 1500, got receiver on sale, speakers i got an awesome deal.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us