Question about Paradigm Monitor 7 and Rotel RSX-1055

Bronze Member
Username: Gecko

Post Number: 17
I went to my local paradigm dealer and listened to a few cd's through the Paradigm Monitor 7 floor speakers. The sales person demo'd the speakers using a Rotel CD Player and a Rotel RSX-1055 receiver. I am really close to buying a Denon 1804 (i think it sounds better than the 2x00's and the 3x00 series) how is it going to differ from the Rotel I was listening through. I can get the 1804 for under $300 which is another reason I like it.

The last question is about price, I was quoted $658 for a pair of the Monitor 7's does that seem like a good price?

Thanks for the thoughts guys... I the only other receivers the store had set up for display were Integra's and Marantz would either of those give me a better idea of what the paradigms will sound with the Denon 1804.

Thanks again
Pete

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 257
Pete:

I think you would be emotionally crushed to take home some Paradigm Monitor 7s home after hearing them through a Rotel receiver and then hooking them up to a $300 Denon. The Paradigms are so good, and the Denon is so average, at best. Even Denon wouldn't compare their 1804 with a Rotel ($1499) receiver. I am not trying to rain on your parade, but that is such a mis-match, I had to warn you.

The Denon's sound is soft and un-focused compared to the Rotel. Also, the Denon does not put out near the power of the Rotel. Forget the power rating from the manufacturer--the Denon is about half the power of the Rotel, and that makes a difference.

Are you wedded to the Denon because you want that unit or you like the price? Do you want suggestions for a better match, speaker wise or are you flexible on the receiver?

Joeseph
Unregistered guest
Pete, which city are you in? Sounds like you went to a good store. What is its name?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Hawk:
I would appreciate some suggestions, but the product range is limited because I want to buy the receiver using my employee discount. Here is a link to the selection that I have available. I would like to keep it in the price range of less than $600.

If there is a combination of different speakers and a receiver that ultimate carries that would be comperable to the Rotel and Paradigms I would be interested in your thoughts on that as well. (speakers price range would be about $1000 per pair of fronts if they are purchased at ultimate).

Joseph - I live near Minneapolis MN and the store where I demoed the Paradigms was Stereoland there website is www.stereoland.com

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I would rather buy from Ultimate for the discount but like the "mom and pop" feel and products from Stereoland.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
This is just a bump to the top to get Hawk's opinions on Ultimates Product line.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 210
Pete,
I looked at your link and this is a situation where I would say of all your choices I would recommend a Yamaha, but nothing lower in their line than the 1400. I don't know what kind of discount you get and your store is selling at the list price, which sucks, but I would go for the 1400 even if you have to come up with a bit more money or look elsewhere. I bet this response will shock some of the Yamaha people on this site.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 211
Pete,
If you store won't sell the 1400 at a reasonable price look at the "hot deals" at the start of this thread. Many mail order sites have it for under $600. Good luck.

Silver Member

Post Number: 284
Pete:

For less than $600, you could get the NAD 743, which is a very capable receiver and a superb match for those Paradigms you want. Call Kiefs (www.kiefs.com) or Saturday Audio Exchange (www.saturdayaudio.com) for a sub $600 price on the NAD--which, I might add, is the only product line that will give you a sound quality comparable to the Rotel for under $1K.

As for the selection at Ultimate Electronics, I have a question for you: Is Ultimate related to SoundTrack? I have a chain in my area called SoundTrack (we have these commericals starring their President, Mr. Dave Workman--gets a bit insufferable at times) and it has exactly the same selection of gear. I mean exactly! In any event, their product line consists of what I call "the usual suspects." Denon, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer Elite, Sunfire, etc. These are all of the sales leaders, and all of which have the largest ad budgets to do co-op advertising in the Sunday newspaper--you know, "FSIs." There is nothing bad here (except perhaps Sony), and Pioneer Elite is very good (but a poor match with Paradigms, I'm afraid). Now, I love Krell, but it is so far beyond my means, we can put that aside. Suffice to say, Ultimate has the whole audio spectrum covered by those brands with the biggest ad budgets.

In a way, I can really understand your frustration. You are in the business, hearing this stuff all the time. In a way, if you are working on or near the salesfloor, your ear is probably getting pretty good at discerning the differences between components and a poor sounding piece of gear is not going to leave you very satisfied (that makes you one of us, BTW). So I will only give you one piece of advice--get what you like to listen to, not what you can get on discount from your employer. Now, I do think Elitefan has a good point about the Yamaha. Yamaha is slightly brighter and more detailed than Denon, thus it is a better match with the Paradigms. And, I would strongly endorse the idea of getting at least the RXV1400--anything lower in the line is a waste, IMO. However, if the Yamaha is not cheap enough for your budget, then I would strongly recommend the NAD 743 from the authorized dealers I mentioned above--should cost about $559. The NAD is a stunning match with Paradigms, particularly with the better ones like the Monitors, and the 743 is going to approach the quality of sound you heard from the Rotel. It will be slightly warner, and will have a bit more bass, but the clarity will be on par.

Anyways, you wanted my opinion on the products . . .

Good luck!

Silver Member

Post Number: 291
Pete:

I know this is out of your price range, but I thought I might pass it on anyways--my local Rotel dealer is doing a "factory authorized clearance sale" (whatever that means) and he is offering the Rotel RX-1055 for $999, which is a substantial price drop. Don't know if you can stretch to make this price, but I thought you might want the option. If I hadn't purchased my NAD last week, I might be very tempted myself.

AdrianaC
Unregistered guest
A related question:

Does anyone have a opinion of how the Marantz SR7400 ($850) Compares to the RSX1055 ($1,200).

I believe I am going to drive Theater in Lv. Room (B&W) Inwalls. But will want a second zone driving a second zone with the capability of seperate output (CD while TV is playing movie)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us