KEF owners, past owners?

Username: Zao

Calimesa, California USA

Post Number: 1
I have been looking at the Q series and I was wondering how you guys like your KEF's?

What reciever are you running with them?

This is my first home theater setup so I still have a lot to learn yet.

I love music, but I also love movies so I will need a reciever good for both.
I will also be hooking up my turn table to them so if any of you have any amp suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Anonymous

KEF IMHO makes one of the finest speakers available. I've listened to a lot of high end speakers in my time and few have impressed me as much as they have. The Q series is no exception to this. Paired with a Marantz SR6400 I get magnificent highs and midrange and a deep and detailed soundstage. That said, you should not take my word alone for this. You need to audition for yourself other models in the same price bracket and find what you like the best. B&W, Vienna Acoustics, Magnepan, etc offer products that are of extremely high quality that you should compare with before you make your final decision.

Calimesa, California USA

Post Number: 2
Thank you for the info.
I don't have too many high end stores in my area, closest place is about 45min. They do carry KEF but not really sure what else they have in my price range.

Thanks again.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

What's your price range?

Calimesa, California USA

Post Number: 3
I went ahead and ordered the Q5's. I went down and compared some other brands in my price range but the KEF's really stood out to me.

I was looking at 1k - 1.5k for the pair. I have a fairly small room so these should work great for me.

Now I need to look into recievers so I'll take a look at that Marantz SR6400.

edster922
Unregistered guest
The 6400 has been discontinued, replaced by the 5500 which should be around $550-650 local retail.

Or you can get it online, check out hifi.com they'll also have some discontinued models. For refurb Marantz receivers look at ac4l.com

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2757
If it is relevant: KEF. A short tale of value, service, customer satisfaction

Calimesa, California USA

Post Number: 4
Right on, looks like I may have actually made a wise decision for once in my life.

I did a lot of researching before I decided to look into KEF further so I'm glad I went with them.
They sounded great in the store so hopefully I will love them even more when I finally get them home.

My main reason for the post was to get that unbiased opinion, hence the 'past owners'in the title.
So far everyone seems to be thrilled with KEF:-)

By any chance do you guys own the Q1's?

I'm looking to complete my surround speakers and was looking at these.

Thanks everyone.

kef fan
Unregistered guest
I would look into the q1 compact speaker which would be a great surround speaker. As for the receiver you might want to look at the Denon receiver which I currently have the 2805 and it works great with my kef speakers. I hope this can help you.

Calimesa, California USA

Post Number: 5
Finally recieved my KEF Q5's. These things are beautiful.
I ordered a Pioneer 1014 reciever which will be here tuesday. I wish I could fire these things up but my cheap reciever sucks too much to even try them.
I also have a Q9c for my center, now I need some surrounds for the 7.1:-)

I'm a little confused about the wire hook ups on these. I'm guessing they take a spade connection, am I correct?
Or should I just wrap the bare wires around the posts?
There's a hole in the middle of the posts after you unscrew the end nut, what is this for? Hopefully that makes sense.

As you can tell I have only owned very cheap speakers with very small gauge wire.

Calimesa, California USA

Post Number: 6
Nevermind my stupid questions, I found my answers and ordered all the parts I need.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2797
Not stupid questions, Kevin. Bare wire into the holes is as good as anything, but less convenient than spades or banana plugs if you connect and reconnect frequently. Make sure you get the polarity right; + to + and - to - on both channels. It makes a massive difference to sound. Congratulations BTW!

Calimesa, California USA

Post Number: 7
Thanks John.

Before I got them I thought they had banana plug binding posts but I was wrong. They can only take a spade or bare wire.

I'm just glad to get away from that cheap junk I have always had.
Now I actually have to learn a thing or two.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2800
You are welcome, Kevin. Good luck!

Silver Member
Username: Ca_convert

CardiffUK

Post Number: 122
Kevin, congratulations you did the sensible thing and bought what you liked the sound of. You will be telling us next that the cable you use has an imnpact on the sound aswell! Oops sorry hush my mouth:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us