Question about vsx-d412

Unregistered guest
I am 16 years old and was looking for a cheap multi-channel receiver and finally decided on the pioneer vsx-d412. I also bought a pair of open box KLH 9250b speakers for $80.00. My question is, why when the speakers are rated to handle bass down to 25Hz am i not getting that kind of response from them? Is it the receiver or do i just need to save and get a better pair of speakers. I have the loudness setting on and the bass turned up full on the receiver. Also at high volume the highs are ear hurting loud and the bass sounds pretty much monotone.

Username: Tevo

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 10
Manufacturer claimed ratings, especially at the mass market and mid-fi level are often just that... claims.

Not many speakers are capable of reproducing the lower frequencies without significant roll off. And that's nothing to say of *properly* reproducing them.

Unfortunately, excessive treble brightness and poor bass control/definition is characteristic of some entry level mass market components.

Perhaps you can experiment with speaker placement and adjust using the tone controls to see if you are able to obtain a more pleasing sound?

captain morgan
Unregistered guest
Thanks alot for your help. I'll try what I can.

Bronze Member
Username: Diablo

Fylde Coast, England

Post Number: 20
I don't know the make personally, but some people think that the 12" bass units on the KLH 9250B speakers give good bass.

The default setting on the receiver which you have is 'small' speakers. I assume that you have changed the setting to 'large'? Otherwise,with the 'small' setting, the bass will be rolled off at about 80Hz.
Just hearing the phrase "at high volume the highs are ear hurting loud " upsets me! You may not appreciate the advice but protect your ears from damage.
I may be an oldish person, but my hearing is still okay(ish). :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us