Magnetically Shielded: How close is to close?

Bronze Member
Username: Canuckinapickle

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 36
I originally posted this to hometheatre setup & planning and got no responses; this is probably a more appropriate forumn anyhow so I've cross posed now, Please Forgive! :

-------
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question: does anyone know if a relatively large (5 driver/3 way) center channel speaker that is "magnetically Shielded" will do any long term damage to a regular CRT television if it is sitting literally right on top of it?

The speaker I refer to is an Energy C-C3 Centre: http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/products/product-page.php?id=29

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 103
A good center speaker with magnetically shielded drivers can be placed directly on top of a regular TV. If your tube is so sensitive to the magnetic field, you should see color distortion at the top edge of the tube. If that is the case, try moving the center speaker about 2" away from the top of the TV by placing some object b/w it and the TV.

Silver Member
Username: Varney

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 377
Putting a centre speaker on top of the TV is not such a good idea if you can help it, Canuck. Vibration and the fact that the usual plastic contruction of tellies is not often a very inert or stable surface for any speaker to be seated are good reasons to look at the alternatives. Mounting the speaker on the wall, might be a better option - better still, if it needs to come further out, to be in line with the TV front, then a shelf would do the trick. A damn sturdy one, mind....!

As to the magnetic interferance - suck it and see. You'll soon know if the shielding is inadequate, believe me - by the sound and by the effect it may have on the screen, as Kevin J suggests. I've had a pair of magnetically shielded speakers right next to the CRT TV and it's never acted up once.

V

Bronze Member

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 39
Thanks for the info Varney and Kevin!

I'd love to mount it on a proper shelf but the room layout right now won't permit it (there is a window rather than a wall behind the TV). I"ll be moving at some point in the next months hopefully so I'll be able to take the shelving advice then for!

Thank you once again guys.

Bronze Member

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 40
Thanks for the info Varney and Kevin!

I'd love to mount it on a proper shelf but the room layout right now won't permit it (there is a window rather than a wall behind the TV). I"ll be moving at some point in the next months hopefully so I'll be able to take the shelving advice then!

Thank you once again guys.

Bronze Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 79
I've owned various large CRT tvs for years and have always had my center channel speaker sitting directly on top and never had any problems with the picture being affected.

I guess I never worried about vibrations or stability because the TV size was large enough that there was always plenty of room up there. I suppose if I owned a plasma or LCD, a shelf would be the only possible setup because of the lack of space up on top of that kind of TV.

Silver Member
Username: Varney

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 383
At the end of the day - what works, works.

V
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us