Denon 3805 and 4 OHM Speakers???Help

Username: Djomla

Post Number: 1
I'm considering to purchase denon 3805 but unfortunately denon does not support 4 ohm speakers.I have dynaudio contour 1.8mkII @ 4ohm. Does anyone have similar setup or using denon 3805 with front 4 ohm speakers. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2750
Mladjen,
I believe the Denon 3805 can handle a 4ohm load.

Bronze Member
Username: Thinker311

Post Number: 26
Now please understand, i am in no way saying that i know more than a gold member...im still trying to learn.

But the 3805 says it has 8 ohms, so wouldnt matching that with a speaker with half the ohms be a bad idea?

Or just dont do something like have an 8 ohm reciever and 2 ohm speakers. Like saying 4 is pushing it, but ur still ok.

3805 pdf is below
http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/AVR-3805%20Final.pdf

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 354
I've had a look at that PDF. If you look at the specification sheet for the power amp section, you'll see that the channels are rated at 120w each into 8 ohms 20hz-20khz. They're also rated at 160W into 6 ohms 1khz. At first, this looks pretty good, but it concerns me that they only quote the 160W at 1khz! It's far more difficult to maintain the power level across the full frequency range of 20hz - 20khz. This is why you need to be very careful with the numbers you're quoted. To me, the numbers indicate that the 3805 has some headroom, but not a huge amount. I think they wanted to get the "7-channels driven at the same time" as constant as possible and this affected the headroom on a per-channel basis. Therefore, I would try to stick to 8-ohm speakers if possible.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 355
Mljaden

I know the Dynaudios well. They're quite difficult to drive, dipping to below 2 ohms in places, so I would not recommend the 3805. For similar money (here in the UK) I would more readily recommend the Arcam AVR250, even though it has less power on paper.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 356
PS - Sorry for spelling your name incorrectly!

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Djomla

Post Number: 2
Hi there, Thanks for your replays. Unfortunately I will have to search for another receiver. Being from Serbia I don't have much choice. There is Denon 3805 (1290 EUR) and Rotel 1067 (2800 EUR) Thanks. Mladjen
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us