Archive through January 28, 2005

Silver Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 505
SMAC - yeah, the Denon is a bit confusing. I guess they want to cover a number of bases? But putting out a SACD player in 2-channel seems, to my limited thinking, to be counter-productive!

Speaking of SACD - am at the moment reveling in yet another one - this a re-issue of an old George Szell/Cleveland Orch. pair. (2 LPs on one SACD) Dvorak and Smetana music - and it's filling the house with wonderful sounds! Just amazing! Will post more on "Discoveries."
Luv doze SACDs!!!!!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 506
Jan V. - OK, you caught me. For some unknown reason I keep forgetting the second "L" in "revelling." Sigh. But I know you caught it, so I'll confess in public before you get out your old school ruler! (grin)

Bronze Member
Username: Simplymcintosh

Post Number: 35
It is acceptable to use 1 or 2 L's. Reveling or Revelling. Traveling or Travelling. etc :-)

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 508
SMAC - thanks. Sigh. Guess I've got to get a new dictionary - mine only goes with two "L" spelling. Let's see - copyright 1874 - yep, time for a new one! (grin)

Whew! Escaped the ole ruler once more! (double grin)

Sorry - but I'm getting goose-bumps sitting here listening to "The Moldau" on this SACD. Wow! When sound is good, it's GREAT! I'm afraid that, when I get the B&Ws fired up, I'll just collapse from sheer ecstasy!

More anon. . .

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Larry - I caught the mispelling but honestly thought you were trying for "revealing". I had visions of you dancing nekked around the living room to the calypso beat of sunny Florida beaches.

I don't remember if I've told the story of "Pops" Evans whom I worked with at two stores. Pops was, to put it mildly, a character. He was looking forward to the day he was old enough to be considered senile. He thought this would give him a reason to sit on the roof nekked and throw empty Gin bottles at passers by. "Eh, it's just ol' Pops up on the roof again. Sorry old bast*rd."
Pops decided the life of a hifi salesman was not for him and went to beautician's school. After six months of school while his wife worked to support him and the three kids, Pops found a job at a hair salon which he kept for two weeks. He was depressed about the idea of his failure and the possibility he would have to return to selling. Down to the family's last $15, Pops spent $12 of it on a new Grateful Dead double album. His wife moved with the three children that evening. The rest of the story of Pops Evans doesn't have a happy ending so I will stop here.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

"I have a Pioneer DVD player (which I use to play CD's/DVD's) hooked up optically/digitally to a Pioneer A/V receiver. The receiver can accept Dolby Digital or DTS for DVD's, and it sounds great. For CD's, the receiver uses Dolby Pro Logic, but there are other settings as well, for example some DSP settings which remove Dolby Pro Logic altogether. I wonder if Dolby Pro Logic is a recommended format for CD's since sometimes it seems a little more muffled to my ear than some of the DSP modes. What do you recommend? What do you use?"

Young pup!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 510
Jan V. - Please! Oh, please, sir - go on with the story! I hate "loose ends!" Even if it's bad, let's read it, OK?

If you had visions of me dancing nekked around the living room then you MUST be dipping into funny-weed! Or sum-ting like dat! First of all, you'd die laughing. . . not a happy thought.

BTW - the SACD that's giving me the thrills is in - are you ready? - 2-CHANNEL SOUND. And it is simply stunning! Thought you'd like to know.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 511
Jan V. - just "caught" your Pioneer posting. Wellllll - uh, that is. . .how about "stereo?"

BTW - one of the two BIG failures with the new Yammie CD player: If I play a "regular" CD it automatically plays it in Dolby Pro Logic II - UNLESS I either change the internal setting on the player to "stereo" - or make sure the receiver is set to "stereo" only. the other nuisance is that, once the disc is inserted, it starts to play it automatically. Sigh.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

JFTWC:

1926: Television demonstrated publicly for the first time by J.L. Baird in London.

1929: Birth of cartoonist/dramatist Jules Feiffer, New York City.

1945: Liberation of extermination camp, Auschwitz/Oswiecim, Poland.

1950: India becomes a democratic republic as constitution goes into effect.

1953: Radioactive rain falls on Troy, New York.

1956: Martin Luther King, Jr. arrested for the first time; his home will be bombed in a few days.

1962: Bishop Burke of the Buffalo, New York Catholic Diocese bans the Twist. It can't be danced, sung about, or listened to in any Catholic school, parish, or youth event. Later in the year, the Twist will be banned from community center dances in Tampa, Fla. as well.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Actually I lost track of Pops after he moved to Florida to manage a used car lot. You may run into him in your travels. Look for a man of medium height with a half smoked Phillip Morris in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other. (We could always find Pops by following the trail of butts and cups.) If he has wild, frizzy black hair and looks as if he'd prefer to throw a Gin bottle at you, tell him I said hello.

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 1314
Re: The Denon 2 channel SACD player.

I would think the five thousand pound price tag is indicative of Denon offering the "stereophiles' a true high end machine to help keep the name in good stead in that camp. I believe Marantz will be offering a similar product. It certainly isn't even appoaching mid audiophile land at that price.

Jan

And the moral of your story is perhaps: always buy music the wife likes as well.

By the way Larry reacted to The Dead, I think he'd do a runner also if Mer came home with one of their albums.

Larry,

In my imsomnia induced trance in the middle of the night, I must have thought this morining was a weekend - a time for a cooked breakfast. I now have to wait to try your culinary breakfast delight.

Silver Member
Username: Ojophile

ON

Post Number: 235
(stamp) ICBR - I could be wrong...

What I learned in grammar school was that if a verb ending in 'r' or 'l' has the accent on the last syllable, then the 'r' or 'l' is doubled. Ex. compel/ compelling, extol/extolling, refer/referring

If the accent is not on the last syllable, then the 'r' or 'l is not doubled. Ex., travel/traveling, foster/fostering,

As always, there are exceptions.

Going back to the new Denon 2-c SACD player, I'm sure the reviewers at Stereophile and other A/V magazines will have to dig up their good ol' Roget's Thesaurus to come up with fresh adjectives other than "engaging", "revealing", "warm", "convincing", to describe the player's playback qualities. At £5,000, what can one expect out of it?

Larry, Smetana's "The Moldau" is also a favorite of mine. Tone poems are beautiful, no? "Finlandia", "Romeo and Juliet Overture", etc.

Random thoughts on a cold Wednesday afternoon.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

It will be interesting to see what Denon, Marantz and McIntosh produce in the way of auidophile players now that they are all under the same corporate management.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Everybody whoos and auidophile raise your hand.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1316
Jan,

First you'll have to explain what an auidophile is :-)

John A

Going back up the thread aways:

""Hits of the 60s" (for me) and "...of the 70s" (for her). They really are not so good."

Thank heaven for the eighties - saved by Ian Drury and The Blockheads - "Hit me with your Rhythm Stick" Hit me, hit me :-)

Actually, I quite liked that one and it reminds me of a story. I recently purchased a hybrid surround sacd of a band that was around 15 or twenty years back called Matt Bianco - a sort of pop/jazz trio (Basia Trzetrzelewska/vocals, Mark Reilly/voclas, Danny White/keyboards) who had a few releases and then went on their own ways. The sax player Ronnie Ross (okay - saxophonist) who played on their first album was the one and the same who did the solo on Drury's Rhythm Stick and died about ten years ago. Anyway, Matt Bianco reformed last year with its original line up (two guys and a gal), with backup musos they released this new album called "Matts Mood" a kind of jazz collection with a touch of latin beat and is very, very good - in fact so good it is, at present, my reference sacd. This fine album is dedicated to Ronnie Ross, and incorporates some of his older sax playing, taken from old masters) on a few of the tracks including the dedication track 'Ronnies Samba'.

Sorry for the ramble, but on this sacd I am extremely grateful for the dead :-) and for those with the skills to lift the music of the dead so adeptly from the masters. I highly recommend this if you like to revel in fine rhythmic music with a glass or two of your favorite beverage or let yourself loose on the dance floor with your hot, latin lover :-)

What! No hot, latin lover - it doesn't matter John 'cause you don't have a sacd player either. Hang on, it's a hybrid - put on those dancin' shoes my friend :-)

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 512
My Rantz: Please, sir - no sex. John A. is English, you know!

So much for fairness in life.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1317
Larry,

Then how come there are English?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Hmmm..."dancin shoes", "English" - reminds me of a song I was listening to 2 hours ago. "In These Shoes?"

Then I met an Englishman,
"Oh" he said.
"Won't you walk up and down my spine,
it makes me feel strangely alive."
I said "In these shoes?
I doubt you'd survive."
I said "honey....let's do it."

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 514
My Rantz: Sir, there is "sex," and there is "reproduction." The two are not necessarily synonymous. One is an active sport, the other a once-a-year ordeal. That's why so many British chaps went down to a land called "Australia," where sex and reproduction are one and the same.

At least that's what I've been told.

By a British chap.

Not a British lady.

Some of the lucky ones, I understand, made it all the way into the Colonies - to the Carolinas, specifically.

Where they, to this day, practice the Fine Art.

Of both.

It is said.

With, or without shoes.

Yep.

I

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Good one, Lar. Then there's the other song I was listening to about a titsling. Barefoot and titslingless is the best way....so I've heard.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 515
Jan V. - "Audiophile" - yes, I are one.

Definition: Audio - a modern-day derivation of the Spanish "adios," meaning, "Get outta here, and don't bother me!"

and - "phile" - a mis-spelled word initiated by a German person with a cold, who sneezed whilst trying to type "spiel," a verb meaning to play over and over, as in "Play it again, Sam!"

Thus, we have "audiophile" - a person who wants you to get the heck out of here while he/she plays his/her beloved CD/DVD over and over again.

Or so it is opined. . .

Gold Member

Post Number: 1318
Larry,

You mean if we have sex - we are supposed to reproduce it?

BTW, Larry, Jan's question was "Everybody whoos and auidophile raise your hand"

I think he's asking, "Who is a German car?"

SimplyMc

Titsling - now is that like an over-the-shoulder-boulder-holder?

Or - a sling for a broken tit?

Or - a device to fling tiny little birds into the air?

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 516
SMAC - Good grief! Has that person never heard of "gravity?" All one has to do is to find a copy of "National Geographic" to see what it does to the titslingless. The "droop factor" is quickly ascertained!

As to the bare feet - welllllll. . .I'd be a caloused chap if I did not toe the mark and keep instep with fashion. "Will he really?" comes the question. "Heel do it," is the obvious reply.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 517
My Rantz:

"Call me a cab!"

"OK. You're a cab." (drum-roll please!)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Why over-the-shoulder-boulder-holder, of course:

Otto Titsling, inventor and kraut,
had nothing to get very worked up about.
His inventions were failures, his future seemed bleak.
He fled to the opera at least twice a week.

One night at the opera he saw an Aida
who's t-ts were so big they would often impede her.
Bug-eyed he watched her fall into the pit,
done in by the weight of those terrible t-ts.

Oh, my god! There she blows!
Aerodynamically this b i t c h was a mess.
Otto eyeballed the diva lying comatose amongst the reeds,
and he suddenly felt the fire of inspiration
flood his soul. He knew what he had to do!
He ran back to his workshop
where he futzed and futzed and futzed.

For Otto Titsling had found his quest:
to lift and mold the female breast;
to point the small ones to the sky;
to keep the big ones high and dry!

Every night he'd sweat and snort
searching for the right support.
He tried some string and paper clips.
Hey! He even tried his own two lips!

Well, he stitched and he slaved
and he slaved and he stitched
until finally one night, in the wee hours of morning,
Otto arose from his workbench triumphant.
Yes! He had invented the worlds first
over-the-shoulder-boulder-holder. Hooray!

Exhausted but ecstatic he ran
down the street to the diva's house
bearing the prototype in his hot little hand.
Now, the diva did not want to try the darn thing on.
But, after many initial misgivings,
she finally did.
And the sigh of relief that issued forth
from the diva's mouth
was so loud that it was mistaken by some
to be the early onset of the Siroccan Winds
which would often roll through the Schwarzwald
with a vengeance!
Ahhhhh-i!

But little did Otto know,
at the moment of his greatest triumph,
lurking under the diva's bed
was none other than the very worst
of the French patent thieves,
Philippe DeBrassiere.
And Phil was watching the scene
with a great deal of interest!

Later that night, while our Brun Hilda slept,
into the wardrobe Philippe softly crept.
He fumbled through knickers and corsets galore,
'til he found Otto's titsling and he ran out the door.

Crying, "Oh, my god! What joy! What bliss!
I'm gonna make me a million from this!
Every woman in the world will wanna buy one.
I can have all the goods manufactured in Taiwan."

"Oh, thank you!"

The result of this swindle is pointedly clear:
Do you buy a titsling or do you buy a brassiere?

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 518
Rantz: If you have sex (which I barely remember from the dark ages) and DON'T reproduce it - what's the point???

Unless, of course, you are English.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1319
Ta -dum!

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

"Then how come there are English?"

Frenchmen swim the channel nightly.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 519
SMAC: (hahahaha) where the hell do you get such stuff? I mean, a nice, cultures Southern Belle such as you has NO business involving yourself in such low-life lyrics! REally!! Ahem!!!

Sigh

Then again, it were funnie!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1320
SimplyMc

Fantastic LOL!

A double ta-dum!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 520
G-nite, all. I'm in way over my head!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Just quoting the Divine Miss M. :-)

Jan - that explains everything - all that swimming and stuff. ;-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
I'm going to bed too. 'nite y'all...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Hopefully, Celestine will stay put and I can get some sleep....

Oh she is hot, she's hot, she's hot
She's just a wild and wicked s l u t
And she lives inside my head and stops me sleeping
And when I think she's finally gone
Some guy arrives and turns her on
Then she parties until dawn
This can't go on
Celestine
Get out my dreams
You're killing me so slowly

So many men, so many fights
So many parties and late nights
She plumbs the depths and hits the heights
That celestine
She pretends that she can't hear me
She pretends she's nowhere near me
She just goes quiet and pretends that she's not in
But celestine I know you're there
In your exotic under wear
And you are fixing up your hair now, celestine

Celestine
Get out my dreams

My lover looked into my eyes
And I could tell by his surprise
It was not me he saw in there but celestine
And now it's her that he lusts after
I can hear that wicked laughter
Still he comes to me but I know where he's been

Celestine
Get out my dreams

Celestine
Get out my dreams

My lover hasn't got a clue
He doesn't know that he's untrue
And it's not me he makes love to but celestine
Oh yes she's hot, she's hot, she's hot
I guess she's everything I'm not
And she lives inside my head and stops me sleeping

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 521
SMAC: "Gulp!"

Gold Member

Post Number: 1321
Larry,

"If you have sex (which I barely remember from the dark ages) and DON'T reproduce it - what's the point???"

Okay, Larry. I asked Mrs Rantz and she asked the same thing :-)

Jan,

"Frenchmen swim the channel nightly"

Okay, I laughed like heck, but then I wondered:

Frenchmen + ? = English

Okay guys,

Should we worry about Ms SimplyMc or just find out what she drinks?

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2766
Thanks for the Matt Bianco recommendation, MR. I also like Ian Drury and the Blockheads.

Thank you for the uplifting comments, Ghia. I thought my remarks about Lara Croft had gone unnoticed. I think the item in German is something like "bustenholden" which is not far off.

E-mail notification adds "Celestine". Thanks. Must be a song?

There is a sublime bit in "Love Actually" about jealousy and female insecurity, where "playing our tune" is "Both Sides now" by Joni Mitchell "who taught this cold Englishwoman how to feel". Troubled, two-timing husband gives a Joni Mitchell CD (the recent one, recorded after her voice broke) to his wife as a Christmas present, hoping it would be seen as tender and thoughtful, remembering her remark. But she was expecting a different gift, and has to leave the family party to cry, in solitary despair - the expensive locket must have been for someone else. All I could do was laugh and laugh, at the sheer, elegant tragedy of it all. Family thought I was heartless to laugh at such a scene. It was all I could do not to cry. Brilliant, I thought. Bittersweet and corny Brit flick, but it touched so many raw nerves. Probably bombed in US. Very little of that sort of humour translates, I think. Still, you never know.

Played the Lindsay String Quartet Beethoven Op 59 No 3 in stereo in my allotted half-hour this evening. It was so, so good. Total immersion. The nice thing about "Classical" is you can hear many different version of the same thing. If the versions, and the music, are good (as in this case), then a new interpretation is so full of interest and surprises.

Will not be drawn on the French swimmers, Jan. It is a wise man who knows his own father. I don't really think we need DNA testing, though. For the generation a little before mine it was the American GIs who made Brit males deeply insecure. "Love actually" has a therapeutic "get yer own back" scene where the "Special relationship" breaks down purely because the US president has made a pass at a maid in No.10, whom the PM (Hugh Grant) fancies no end. That's the stuff.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 522
My Rantz: Good grief, man! If I asked my wife the same question, I'd just get a blank stare! I think she knows how to spell it, though. . .

John A. - Same salutation - "good grief!" Do you mean to say that you're only granted a half-hour of "play time" on the ole victrola? What kind of dehumanization is that, I ask you?

But then - I only get my play-way three days a week, about four hours each, when Mer's away doing her teaching-thing. Sigh.

Next time around, I'm marrying a gal who eschews TV and loves to spend a whole evening listening to string quartet music, sipping 12-year old Scotch, then seeing if the two of us can reproduce what we produced in our last production-session. If you catch my drift, sir. . .

I have no Lindsay String Quartet albums (darn, keep calling the CDs by that name!) but upon your recommendation, I shall see if I can find one to my taste. Amazon surely has some?

And Happy Thursday to all!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 523
Sir Rantz: On the subject of Ms SimplyMac - I think we should worry also about what she holds in her hand, sets afire, then inhales! Obviously, the liquid in question here would not be enough to provoke such outpourings of verbiage! (grin)

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

"I think she knows how to spell it, though."

Larry, pssst, Larry, try "i-t". See, now you can spell as well as Mer.

"Next time around, I'm marrying a gal who eschews TV and loves to spend a whole evening listening to string quartet music, sipping 12-year old Scotch, then seeing if the two of us can reproduce what we produced in our last production-session. If you catch my drift, sir. . . "

So you want to marry ... Ernest Hemingway?

Let's see about the Frenchmen. Don't read this, John.

Lonely English lassies.
Eager Franco lads.
Swim the channel.
Lads have their way with lassies.
Lads swim back South.
Lass discovers her lover's "passing".
Yet another child of the crown is born to live off the dole.
British aristocracy consider all such "blo*ody little bast*rds", forgetting they too vacation at Dover.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 524
JV - very good (hahahaha) sir! Hemingway's dead, you know! (grin)

Check yer e-mail.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 525
There once was a lady named Ghia
Whose dreams about sex were much freeah
than the life that she led
when she wasn't in bed
And Celestine was gone, saying "see-yah!"

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2145
Ghia you know I enjoyed it!

'''''''''''''''''''''

There once was a man from nantucket.
Who's d... ... .. .... .. ..... .... ..

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 425
Bravo, Mr. R

Author, author!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 526
Kegger, Two Cents: thank you, gentlemen (blush) I let that side of my creative muse out for air only once in awhile - fortunately! (grin)

Silver Member

Post Number: 426
Larry,

When are you expecting your 705s?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

"Hemingway's dead, you know!"

Yes, and along with my visions of your bossa nova bop, I was thinking of what a blast he had at the end.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 527
JV - Punny, very punny, my friend! (grin)

Two Cents: Well, they are supposed to be shipped from New Jersey on Monday - which means they might be here by next Friday. Will post when they come, natch! (grin)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
....cutting-edge but disorienting, surround headphones....

"We simulate a virtual room so that you get the impression of listening to Surround sound even if you have only stereo headphones,"

hmmm...how could you physically have anything but stereo headphones?

Music's Future

Silver Member
Username: Rick_b

New York USA

Post Number: 769
I just want to state for the record, that for a man of traditional family values, I am shocked to the core with the bawdy and lacivious nature of the recent posts on this thread.

You deserve to spend two weeks with the NUN.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Rick - Awww, get over it!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 770
OK!

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Thanks.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

1756: Mozart born. Patron saint of talented brats.

1920: First meeting of the International Labor Organization (ILO).

1944: U.S.S.R.: Leningrad liberated from Germany in 880 days with 600,000 killed.

1945: Near the provincial Polish town of Oshwiecim, a Ukranian division of the Soviet Red Army liberates Auschwitz.

1973: Vietnam Peace Treaty signed in Paris, supposedly ending Vietnam War.

1977: In one of his first acts as President, Jimmy Carter pardons some 10,000 Vietnam draft resisters.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 528
Whew! thought we had another fight brewing here!

Jan V. It is now rather generally thought that Mozart suffered from Tourette's syndrome, which led to many painful experiences. Despite that, he has left us with some of the most sublime music ever penned. My Humble Opinion Only, natch!

Payment has been sent for the B&W speakers, and I may have them by a week from tomorrow. Sigh. Waiting is "such sweet sorrow!"

More anon. . .

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 529
SMAC - as to your "stereo headphones" - easy. Early headphones were monaural. Sure, you got sound in both ears, but it came from the same, central source. Mono. One-channel. spent much of my early youth listening with mono earphones to a crystal set which broadcast the atrocities of WWII. Yep - you can have something other than "stereo" headphones!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 530
SMAC, et al - I read with great interest all the hype about "down-loading" tunes. OK - that's fine for a piece of music that lasts, what, about 4 minutes?

What about those of us who declare allegiance to the classical - or jazz - compositions. They "last" for much longer than that.

Shall we then consider "the death of the CD" in our chosen music venues? I personally can't see "downloading" a 50-minute symphony, or a piano concerto, or even a knock-em-dead performance by a jazz combo!

It gets very confusing to me, as a TRUE "old dog." Perhapd I can figure it all out - and perhaps not.

Meanwhile, give me (please!) more SACDs, which salve my wounded and raw soul and give me sound that I haven't heard since my beloved LP collection was "liberated" by movers long ago.

And may the Force be with you all!

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2150
larry:

"Payment has been sent for the B&W speakers, and I may have them by a week from tomorrow. Sigh. Waiting is "such sweet sorrow!" "

Agreed but I got "my" new toy, the preamp came on the truck today weeee!!!

An anthem pre 2L tube linestage with ssp passthrough , hope it sounds sweet!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 531
Kegger: Well, congrats to you, my friend! I haven't the foggiest idea what you're talking about, but if it makes you happy and smiley, then what the heck - it's GREAT!

PS - I'm sure it WILL sound "sweet!"

Now, let's see - page 3 on the Audiophile handbook. What to do when your friends talk about things you can't even imagine. . .

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2151
"Now, let's see - page 3 on the Audiophile handbook. What to do when
your friends talk about things you can't even imagine. . ."

GOOGLE

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 772
Larry,

Not to worry, that was just a little attempt at humor. I knew Jan couldn't let that one slide.

Jan, old buddy, you did take it as humor didn't you?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

......................YEP!.......................

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

http://www.atruereview.com/headphones/index.php

http://www.xero-tech.com/surround_sound_headphones.htm?OVRAW=surrouns%20headphon es&OVKEY=surround%20headphones&OVMTC=standard

http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=surround%20headphones

353,000 entries for surround headphones.

Mozart
Unregistered guest
"Tradional Family Values"

- sounds like a good name for a new quiz show. Though I would think few would know the answers, especially you mother^@#^%$& old dogs :-)

^$#@ it!
^$#@ it!
^$#@ it!
^$#@ it!

Why did you say that?
I didn't.
Then who did?
I did.
You said you didn't!
Did I?
Yes, you did!
Did what?
Say it!
It!

^@#% $%^head!

I need to compose myself.
You alway do.
Do what?
Compose yourself.
Not any more.
Why not?
Because I'm decomposing, ha ha ha!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 773
Hey Wolfie, I never noticed that little twitch before. I would cut back on the coffee if I were you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 427
Mozart,

I bow down to your sublime cussing.

We should have thread titled "Old Dogs and their New Toys". Kegger has his new Anthem pre-amp, Rick is getting a Jolida tube amp, Larry is getting is B&W speakers, and Ghia is about to get Spendors. There's a lot of action among the old dogs. I expect full reports! Well, do as you like...

Hey, dogs, what do you think about this little puppy:

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/product.asp?itemid=28&catid=29

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
Good morning, er, evening! Just woke up from a nicke little nap. Didn'g get mucy sleep last nigth. Oh, it wasn't Celestine but that damn Otto Titsling! The song. Couldn't get the ti t ty, er, diddy, I mean ditty, out of me head, er mind. So, oncd I got home from work ( got off prematurely, er, early due to training instead of actual work) I decided to toke a nap. Just woke up. My jammiies are on backwards. Hmm...don't know what that means.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1325
Heavens to mergatroid!

That's about all I can say right now!

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

"We should have thread titled "Old Dogs and their New Toys". Kegger has his new Anthem pre-amp, Rick is getting a Jolida tube amp, Larry is getting is B&W speakers, and Ghia is about to get Spendors. There's a lot of action among the old dogs. I expect full reports!"

I got a full tank of gas the other day. Shell.

Are you asking about the upscale piece as a possible purchase or just how we like the looks of the piece?

MS - Unless you're sure you went to bed with them on the right way round, in girl's jammies, it doesn't mean a thing.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1326
SM

But if you're are sure - we'll, how are you feeling :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 428
Sorry, couldn't stop laughing at SM's provocative post and MR's repartee.

JV-for possible new toy. If the gas was the car, it doesn't qualify as a toy. If it was for you, well maybe...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1327
Two Cents - Not you too!

Oh well, the AE-3 DJH Signature Preamp sure looks nice, though I would go for the Nike shoes myself.

:-)

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

SM - I guess I should have posted, "In girl's jammies, it means not a thing."

2c - It should be very nice. It has all the "correct" parts and Had is a well respected designer. If it has the flexibility you need, it should do quite well as an introduction to tubes. Have you considered used gear?

Concerning the gas - I got nothing.

Silver Member

Post Number: 430
MR--Don't worry. I'm keeping my surround system. Just upgrading my 2-channel system. I believe in keeping them separate.

JV--I have been looking at used gear. However, a new AE-3 DJH is about the same price as a used Cary SLP-88 or BAT VK-3i and cheaper than a lot of other comparable pre-amps. It's time for my decennial upgrade - getting new used speakers (Audio Physic Virgos), new amplification, and if I'm not in debtors prison by then, a new turntable.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 774
Concerning the gas-I got nothing.

Not true sir-you get to drive.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2152
Two Cents if I was to spend that on a preamp the one I would get is!

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1110558048

Audio Research SP16L (has remote also) (can have phono)

I've lusted after this one but can't find them any cheaper than about $1100.
I wasn't looking to spend that much. I was looking in the $550 range and
got the anthem for $525 shipped so I jumped on it, now I gotta see what I got.

Not to knock the one your looking at , just throwing in my own 2 cents!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 533
Two Cents: So - are you getting the AP Virgo IIIs? Saw them advertised for $6,900 - but hope you can get them for a tad less than that!

Your pre-amp looks, uh, well, that is - heck, it looks like a great pre-amp! That's as much as I know about THAT!

Ghia: If you can't get your jammies on right-side forward. . . hmmm. . .

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 775
Boys,

Now knock that off!

Ghia,

We need to talk!

Silver Member

Post Number: 431
Lar, I'm getting used Virgo IIs for much much less than the IIIs that you saw. What, do you think I have money coming out of my jammie bottoms? (I think we've got a new entry to the old dogs lexicon.)

Kegger, that ARC pre-amp looks tantalizing. How would you characterize the ARC sound? I haven't heard them in a while, but I remember them being very detailed and a little on the lean side compared to other tube gear.

Here's another one I've been looking at, used of course:

http://www.caryaudio.com/products/audio/sli80.shtml

This thing can switch-on-the-fly between triode and ultralinear modes and takes EL34s, KT88s/6550s, KT90s and more!

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2153
I like the amp! looks nice and cary audio has got a good name.

I like the switch between triode and ultralinear and the different tubes
it allows you, that's a lot of flexability.

Obviously with that unit no preamp needed and the selection of preamp/input
tubes they use are nice also, I like. What's the price?

That particular A.R. unit is the one my high end shop owner uses mainly when
demoing other equipment. So I've heard it a lot.
(For what it's worth he highly recomends it at it's price tag and above)
To me smooth and natural come to mind with great resolution and presentation.
Just solid all the way around, with a wide variety of music I've heard.
With many different amps/speakers including planers/electrstats.

I wouldn't say warm or juicy just nice and natural sounding.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 535
G-day, all!

2 Cents - OK, I'll look up the Virgo IIs - this is a learning experience for me. And, oh, yes - congratuations! Hope this time around you really get what you pay for!

Rick: And just what is it, sir, that you want to "talk to Ghia" about? Eh? (heh heh heh heh) Certainly not the "clothing issue," right? (grin)

Kegger: If you use phrases such as "smooth and natural" one more time, you'll have me running all the way up to Tampa (3 hours north) to audition some of your "tube stuff!" Hey - smooth and natural is my game, sir! I thought the NAD was great - but maybe you've got some secret audio ingredient? And now you've got more and more of the Old Dogs sniffing around your precious tubes. (ooh, that sounded bad!)

Well - carry on, sir! The rest of us may see "the light" eventually! (grin) And have a productive day. . .

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

From the Cary site, "Pure Class AB-1".

I just love specification sheets.

2c, are you looking for a pre amp or an integrated amp? If just a pre amp, what amplifier do think you'll be using?

Silver Member

Post Number: 432
JV, I was planning on going with a separate pre-amp and amp, which would give me some flexibility for experimenting with different combinations. But that Cary SLI-80 integrated seems to have everything I'm looking for at a good price ($1600 used). It puts out 40wpc in class A triode mode and 80wpc in class AB ultralinear mode. If I go with separates I'm considering either a tube or ss amp. I've heard Pass Lab amps are a good combo with the Virgos.

I've been reading reviews and also product literature and have discovered that there are some really lazy reviewers out there. You can tell when half their review is taken straight from the company's lit on the product.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 776
Larry,

To remind her of her proper southern upbringing, and Christian virtues, of course. Upon reading some of her recent posts, I fear the child has, how shall I say it, strayed from the flock.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 537
Rick: (moment of respectful silence here) I think you are on the correct "mission" in life, sir. In this modern world, with all of its temptations, it is easy to back-slide, and lose sight of your Goal - pure righteousness and senility, er, civility. (oops)

I applaud you, sir, for taking on this task, and wish you the best in the delicate psychological endeavor you undertake. But hark, the lady is of great intelligence, and not easily bamboozled by church-talk!

We - all of us - shall stand reverently by, in anticipation of a moral turn-around, thanks to your ministrations.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 777
Thank you for your moral support my brother.

Can I get an amen?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAmen!

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

2c - I don't often make product recommendations on the forum, but the PrimaLuna Prologue seems to be the hot integrated tube amp right now. And Rick has decided on the Jolida. John may be kind enough to check his recent issue of HiFi News to find the tube integrated that was reviewed recently. I believe it was an Italian design that was meant to be politically incorrect as it was NOT manufactured in China. It sounded interesting for several reasons.

If you're going the pre amp/power amp route, I'd put my nod in for my personal favorite, the Audible Illusions Modulus http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=audible%20illusions%20modulus

If you can stretch the budget, try a McIntosh C22 reissue.
http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=mcintosh%20c22

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

If anyone is interested, a response on another thread made me dig out my papers on the Klipsch phantom center channel and the original Dyna four speaker passive hook ups.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/119411.html

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2154
Jan I've seen many of the Audible Illusions preamps on audiogon as I've
been looking to upgrade and I know as yours has dual mono conctrols and it's
not a performance thing but a convenience thing! Do any of them have remote control?
That's the one feature that is a must for me!

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Nope!

The dual vc's are for performance and, if anything, are not that convenient for some people. I haven't checked lately, but I doubt A.I. has provided any unit with remote.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2155
I meant convenience of remote.
Obviously 2 volume controls and no remote is not convenience. :>)

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Audible Illusions = hairshirt audio. The sound makes up for it. Dual mono from the power cord forward. The new units have closely matched volume controls that make adjustment much more "convenient" than the original controls on my pre amp. But no remote.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Now I'm going to ask what may be a stupid question; how many use the volume control when they listen to music? Particularly with the Modulus, I tend to put on a disc and sit down to listen until that disc is over or I have to leave. Once the volume is adjusted, I don't change it during the disc. If the phone rings, I get up and push the mute button on the pre amp and raise the tone arm; or hit the pause button on the CD/DVD player. Just curious.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
Baaaaa-aaad girl, straying from flock......

Upload

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 778
LOL!

Actually I'm laughing so hard I can't catch my breath.............................

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2156
neadless to say I use the volume control quite frequently.

Usually I put on a disk with volume set fairly low then go to my listening
position and adjust the volume.

Every time I put in a new disk I do this ritual.
Sometimes I'm listening to a particular track and at one point feel the need
to turn it up.

Or when you leave the player don't have quite the right volume until you sit down.
Many many reasons for me to use remote volume control.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1328
SM

Looking a bit wild and woolly there girl! Have you been feeling yo . . er like yourself lately?

Jan,

Rarely touch volume control once music is playing - and usually know what level to set for each disc for preferred sound. But, there are occassions when the remote is handy - maybe for that certain track when you just feel like cranking up the sound and you're too darn lazy to get up off the couch - or untangle yourself from your latin lover.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1330
SM

Now I see you have your jammies on back to front - does this have something to do with those guys over yonder?

Pastor Rick

Now's your chance - while she's in the pasture away from the flock. Give her the fire and brimstone speech!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 538
Two Cents: Been doing a liddle research on your speakers - and am quite fascinated that they use nothing larger than a 6 1/2-inch cone speaker for the entire range! Very unusual concept, but then Jan V. has posted to me on the advantages of cones that are not too large, etc.

I'll be VERY interested to hear what you hear when you get the speakers! The concept of a 3/4" tweeter, a 5" mid-range and a bunch of four 61/2" "woofers" gets my mind in a bunch.

SMAC - you're awfully tentative there, gal! Come on out and play with the rest of the audio-inspired folk! Please! We won't hurt you - heck, we all love you! In a brother-sister sort of way, of course! That's a "given." Especially for very old dogs!!!

Away to dinner. I am, after all, the, uh, "chef" (hahahaha) in our house! Some simple salmon baked under lemon slices, dill weed and salt - with sauteed asparagus and some sliced fresh tomatoes with a hint of tarragon a-top. Very simple. Followed by Mer and her "must-see" CSI TV show. Which she usually plays DURING dinner! Ugh! Shots of sliced liver and torn necks - and, uh, "dinner is served!" (grin) well, such is life as a house-husband. Next time around, Jan: "Ernest Hemingway!" (triple grin)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us