Speakers cut out?? Why

Username: Rickford5150

Post Number: 2
I just moved into this house and it has a biult-in speaker system. I hooked up a nakamichi to it and when i turn it on and play CDs the sound will cut out for 1-2 seconds every so often. Help a dummy out, why is this?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Does it cut out with other sources such as the tuner?

Post Number: 3
No the music/sound just stops. The CD player and tuner stay on and keep playing.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 303
He means does the sound intermittantly cut out no matter what source you're using? The tuner (ie AM/FM) is a constant signal while other signals such as CD sometimes breaks the signal between songs. Does it happen at the start of each song or is it random?

Mark M.
Unregistered guest
I am having a speaker cut-out prob too...it happens with any source...
ususally only one speaker will cut out...if i turn up the volume VERY loud the sound will come back and i can turn it back down and the sound stays for a short-long while...
also it happens on both the A channel and B channel...and there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason as to R or L cutting out.....????

Post Number: 4
Yes the sound intermittantly cuts out no matter what the source. It is random. All connections have been re-checked.Am I pushing to much or not enough power??

Username: Mike_6289

Post Number: 3
the impedance is probably too low

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 329
Rick,

It sounds like the amplifier is cutting out because it doesn't like the load presented by the speakers. When it cuts out, does the amp feel hot? If it does, the likelihood is that there's a short circuit somewhere or the speakers have been incorrectly wired. When the sound comes back, does the amp click internally? That could be the thermal trip cooling down. If it's not hot, there could be an electrical problem and the amp could be trying to protect itself.

Mark, no idea I'm afraid - your problem seems different to Rick's.

Regards,
Frank.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Rick - If you just moved into the home, there is a very good likelyhood there is a short circuit in the built in speaker wiring. It is not uncommon for a drywaller to put a staple through a speaker wire or to have an installer do a poor job of making the proper connection; wiring a transformer type volume control backwards or something stupid and careless like that. It is uncommon to find in a new home, but in older construction the speakers could be a 25 or 70 volt transformer based system. You need a transformer on your amplifier to run that sort of system. You can also remove the transformers at the speakers and make the appropriate changes to the wiring. You don't say whether this is a new house or pre existing. If used, ask the old home owner if they used the system. If new, contact your builder and insist an electrician qualified to service audio equipment check out the wiring. You might be best advised to get a recommendation of the best audio dealer in town and pay them to service the problem. This is often the most expedient route with the least amount of headaches for you. A word of advise here; ask to speak to an installer. Take a look at the installer who will do the work before you hire a shop. If they look like they have been run through the ringer, they have. A dealer that doesn't present a professional looking staff is a dealer that is paying bottom dollar for labor and getting what they pay for. You will not get what you pay for. A professional installer should look like they have worked hard but smart.

Mark - I would suspect a cold solder joint somewhere in the amplifier. The symptoms suggest around the volume/balance circuit or back in the protection circuit. There could be a bad relay, but that wouldn't be my first guess, obviously. Unless you know how to trace this type of problem, which if you did you probably would have by now, you need to have the amp serviced.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us