Car Subs used as Home Theater Subs?

Username: Kylelc23

Post Number: 4
Hello,

I have an Integra DTR 5.5 reciever for my home theater. It is a great reciever, but the problem is that I no longer have a sub.

I want to have a very loud sub, without having to pay big money for it. There are many local car audio shops in town that have the boxes with 3 12" subs and a powerful amp on them for around $500. My question is is there anyway to hook these car boxes up to a power outlet and my reciever? Will a power outlet draw enough power compared to a cars battery? Can this be done?

Thank you,
Kyle

carraig
Unregistered guest
This was probably really dangerous, but I hooked my car sub up to my home theatre receiver by hooking the hot wire from the amp to a car battery charger, which I plugged into the wall.

Have Fun,
Carraig

Bronze Member
Username: Cory

Canada

Post Number: 74
not that dangerous in less your using a battery in there(big nono) as for it as a ht sub just get an EQ for it and try to get all the frequinces to sound the same in level

Username: Jakec

Parkers Prairie, MN US

Post Number: 1
For the subs in my Home Theater, I built a sealed enclosure for 2 12" infinity reference subs, and a vented box which houses just one. I would not use a car amp, though. See if they can build one without an amp and sell it to you for cheaper. Then get a regular (110V) amp that has the power to drive it. Just remember to watch the ohms. I have a QSC RMX 850(nice amp) driving the sealed encloure with 300 watts RMS per channel at 4 ohms. I have a crap amp(Pyle), driving the vented enclosure. All together, it sounds awesome and really shakes my room, and it was a lot cheaper than some of the other alternatives.

Jake
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us