Which better ? DENON 3805 or YAMAHA RX-V2500 to match the Paradigm Studio 60 ?

Bronze Member
Username: Look4sun

Post Number: 33
Hello guys,

Maybe some of you already knew that the Paradigm Studio 60 sound are warm and
mid range are good.
Therefore, which one the best receiver to match the Paradigm Studio 60: the
new DENON 3805 or the new (also) YAMAHA RX-V2500 ?
Most of my local store are strongly recommended the DENON 3805 which are contrary
with the opinion I found in these forums that the previously DENON receiver are
know by their bright and light sound.
I myself prefer the YAMAHA RX-V2500 since they already upgrade from th RX-V2400
version i.e. include PURE DIRECT Listening MODE and a plenty of DSP surround modes.
(I suspect maybe my local store got a fee commission from the DENON distributor if
they could sell the DENON well - maybe).

So, I really appreciate if you could help in choosing the receiver and thanks if
you can describe the sound character between that 2 receivers.

Thanks u guy.
look4sun

Bronze Member
Username: Dloweman

Post Number: 79
It all comes down to personal preference in the end, but from what I have read they both match paradigm very well and both are regarded as great receivers. If you prefer the sound and features of the yammie, then don't let anyone tell you different. Sorry I couldn't be more definative on which to choose, but I know they will both make the paradigms sing!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 50
Both are good receivers. My take is that if you're into movies, the Yammi is the most ergonically friendly of the two, and designed more user friendly.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Thanks.
But is it strange, from my experience store to store (perhaps 5 stores, I think), all of them strongly recommended the DENON 3805 from their experience in demo the both receivers.
The YAMAHA RX-V2500 sound too harsh and the treble seem too much.
The DENON 3805 sound soft and probably will be good on music but couldn't beat the Yamaha in DSP Home theatre mode.

Any other opinions ?

jmgillespie
Unregistered guest
The biggest difference between the two is the the denon 3805 will cost you about 200 bucks more then the yamaha. I just looked at the specs and figured that the yamaha out powered the denon but it doesn't the 3805 puts out 160 watts per channel and the yamaha only puts out 130 watts per channel. I would go back to the store and demo them again but this time with db reader because when you switch between two different brand recievers the decibal amount will be off and the one putting out more juice will sound better if you get the decibal output matched thats when you will really be able to tell the difference between the two. I'm looking at getting a new reciever soon and was leaning toward the yamaha but now I'm leaning toward the denon myself because at 160 watts per channel you could power those studio 60's to pretty much their max.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
As you stated, the yamaha is rated at 130WPC at 8 ohms, but the Dennon is rated at only 120WPC at 8 ohms which is pretty insignificant of a difference. Which one 'truly' delivers more power?? Hard to say, but they are pretty similar.

The 160WPC is quoted at 6 ohms, which is apples to oranges.
http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=1&c=2

These are the official specs from the denon site. So if anything, Yammi offers slightly more power, and at $200/less.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
BTW, I'm in the same boat as you and shopping for a new receiver. Most of my personal use will be as a surround sound system for movies, and I'm leaning towards the Yammi2500.

So far, I found this website, among others, and have been searching the web for lots of reviews and to update myself on the new HT technologies and features. IMO, both appear to be great systems. For what I'm looking for though......the power and features of the Rx v2500 are pretty hard to beat for the $$$, and I'll probably order one within the next week or two.

I've had a home theater for 10 years now, and I was happy with what I had so I never bothered to keep up with technology advancements, and wow.....Things have improved!!

My current receiver is one of the old Dolby Pro Logic receivers, and after looking at the new stuff, I realized an upgrade is way overdue. If it wasnt for buying a new bigscreen TV lately, I wouldnt even be looking at new receivers now.(to my wifes chagrin) My current amplifier has about the same power rating, but the surround improvements should make a huge difference while watching movies:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
For Paul and jmgillespie,
we must not trust the power rating on the paper only. The power listed sometimes misguided us on selecting the receiver. That's way I am not too concern on the power wpc, since I know both receivers could amplify the Paradigm Studio 60.
I once visited one website stating that both receiver quite good in 5.1 channel surround (but the DENON 3805 slightly has the less distortion compare to YAMAHA 2500), meaning that even in all 5 channels powered, both receivers still good in low distortion.
Btw, I would post the review over here if I've already found the website.
And someone says, the YAMAHA 2500 should be rated 30% less than the power listed in their literature.
Anyway thanks for yr input and still welcome anyone in experience these YAMAHA 2500 and DENON 3805.

Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 144
Both are good choices. I had a pair of Paradigm Mini Monitors and I would have no problem with either reciever. I would probably prefer the Denon, but the Yamaha is a steal at that price.

The newer Yamaha's, especially the RXV series measure out closer to their quoted power ratings. All this power talk is meaningless anyway. Any well designed reciever at 100 WPC will be more than adequate for most home theaters.

I would be more inclined to look at the weight of the receiver than the WPC. Weight suggests a hefty power supplly and that means lots of juice. If a receiver claims to be 100 WPC and only weighs 25lbs, look elsewhere.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
To Riches1,
May I know, what receiver do you use to drive this Paradigm Mini MOnitor ?
Oh yes, have you ever compare the Mini Monitor with the Paradigm Studio 20 ? How do they sound ?
Since I plan to use this Mini Monitor also for the rear surround speaker - but that for the future, since I am now in tight budget.
Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 153
look4sun:

I used both a H/K 425 and Onkyo 701 to drive my Mini Monitors. I prefered the sound of the Onkyo. I think Denon would be a good choice as well. The Mini Monitor's are slightly warm and dark and do well with a brighter, more transparent reciever.

I would not use Mini Monitors as surrounds if budget were an issue. I used Paradigm Atoms as my rears because the have the same drivers as the ADP surrounds recommended for the Mini Monitors.

The Studio 20's are better than the Mini Monitors by noticeable margin. I think that the Paradigm Studio Speakers are one of the best bargains in audio gear today. The are definately entry-level, true audiophile quality.

Bronze Member
Username: Beaver

Post Number: 18
whats with all the yamaha stuff. i've listened to them and find them to be lack luster at best. after listening to yamaha 2500 and the denon 3805 also the onkyo tx-sr701. the denon was the best for movies. but was a bit pricey. so it came down to onkyo and yamaha.the onkyo model comes with thx and all the modes you need for movies and is almost the same spec wise. the onkyo sounded way better. the yamaha power ratings are over inflated. rms wise onkyo has more. so if you got the bucks go with denon. i just got 3805 last week and it rocks. my onkyo reciever was well worth the cost and was a great reciever for the year i used it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
So, to Chris, you 've got yr DENON 3805 now.
Since, I am not interested with ONKYO, what's yr experience with this DENON 3805 ? What is the strong and weak point for this receiver ?

Bronze Member
Username: Beaver

Post Number: 19
well i was very interested in the denon and the nad t773. denon won out for me for two reasons i don't listen to a lot of music and room size. the 160 watts of power denon puts out in 6ohms is plenty for the size of room i have. i run axiom speakers with it the vp150 3 qs8s and the mti 60 with an hsu vtf3 mk2 sub it sounds great. well my main reason i choose denon was for movies. thats what i use my system for 95% of the time. the denon was the best for bringing out clarity in movies by far. also the room eq function makes speaker calibrating a breeze. in regards to the calibrating you need the microphone its like 60 extra bucks i got the sales guy to throw it in for free never hurts to ask. yamaha doesn't compare in my eyes for movies. weak point for me is nothing with its sound and trust me i've listen to it at practically every level very clean sound. my only problem is its manual book very confusing at times should be more straight forward other then that its excellent.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us