NAD or MARANTZ with martin logan

Username: Compaqguy

Post Number: 1
I am looking to power a set of martin logan aeons or clarities in a fairly small room (12' x 15' with 8' ceiling). How are the oppinions on NAD gear, or the marantz pm-7000.

Also, the room is fairly bright, with hard wood floors, and sheetrock walls. There is an oriental throw rug in the center of the room that is about 7' X 10'

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 275
Gavin:

Gayle Sanders does a wonderful job with those M-Ls, doesn't he? Well, as good as they are, I would never recommend the Marantz. I spent a lot of time demo'ing that particualar integrated amp and was very disappointed. It is very flat and two dimensional sounding--absolutely no depth to the soundstage. In my view, it was a very unworthy product to even carry the Marantz name. See the review here to confirm what I say:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/marantzpm7000_e.html

No, you are much better off with the NAD integrated amps--In fact, I would strongly suggest you get one of the NAD C370s which are being closed out by Saturday Audio Exchange for only $449 (www.saturdayaudio.com)--MSRP is $699 and the newer models are even more expensive. It has 120 wpc and has been very favorably reviewed by Stereophile, among other publications. It has a very warm and smooth sound that is an excellent match with your M-Ls, it images very well, and has the raw power needed by your speakers to let them sing.

Username: Compaqguy

Post Number: 2
looks like I will be going with electrostats, the NAD C370 integrated, the NAD C541i CD player, Kimber 8TC cables, and I believe that is it for now.

Thanks you,
Gavin
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us