Can't get my turntable to work with a Sony STR-DE597 receiver.

Username: Amdphoto

Wright City, Missouri USA

Post Number: 1
My new Sony Receiver, model #STR-DE597, does not have a phono input. Is there any way to make it work with the Sony receiver? I currently have it plugged into the MD/TAPE option. Any ideas. I have four pair of speakers, my surround sound and CD player all working but really don't want to have to get another receiver so I can play the turntable. Thanks for any help.

Bronze Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 68
You can find a phono preamp for as low as $16 from www.amazon.com .

Post Number: 2
Thanks Kevin.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the help.

Post Number: 4
Well, I went to Radio Shack and bought a preamp for the turntable. You can now hear the albums when they are playing but it sounds terrible. My husband said he wouldn't listen to his albums if they sounded like that. Any suggestions? Or is terrible the best sound we can expect using a preamp? Thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
What do you mean by "terrible"? :-)

Even though vinyls don't sound as clean as CD's and cassettes because of the surface noise and scratches, they will sound decently good with a good cartridge. I've check the RadioShack phono preamp on its website and I believe it works equally well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
Your preamp may be defective. I don't particularly like battery powered preamp. You can get 1 with AC adaptor from this link: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=phono+preamp&x=0&y=0

Also, is your turntable MM or MC type? Most of these preamps are for MM type only.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us